1990 Nissan 400

Mojave Traveler

Reaction
I won't be posting all my videos here in the vintage forum, so please check my youtube channel from now on to see something ya might otherwise miss.

Here's a race i really enjoyed though;The 1990 Nissan 400. It wasn't the "Mint" race anymore, and the Las Vegas speedway was just a few years away,so the small oval race track and drag strip were soon to be gone, but it was a good off road race day.I would have filmed more than i did except that i only had one camera battery at the time.As you can tell from the video, i was there from sun up till sun down.Seemed like i walked a 100 miles that day.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
So full of AWESOMENESS!

D Bergstrom

Reaction
That brings back memories. That was the first off-road race I ever went to. Was 17 years old and came to Vegas to visit with my uncle who was co-riding in a class 3 jeep. Thanks for posting!

Doug

Mojave Traveler

Reaction
That brings back memories. That was the first off-road race I ever went to. Was 17 years old and came to Vegas to visit with my uncle who was co-riding in a class 3 jeep. Thanks for posting!

Doug
You're very welcome!Lots more vids to come! I'm posting these videos just for people like yourself..And to do some reminiscing of my own..Haven't watched these in twenty years or longer.That was a perfect race to be your first. The speedway provided a great place for fans to watch, and it was at a time when spectators were free to roam the course.Or the railroad tracks..lol..Just wish i could have filmed more than i did.I had to pick and choose what i recorded.It was frustrating not being able to film everything.. Usually the loud engines got my attention..lol

y2kbaja

Reaction
I think I miss most is the open prerunning and spectating. I know we get that in Baja but it's not the same.

wild hare

Reaction
I won't be posting all my videos here in the vintage forum, so please check my youtube channel from now on to see something ya might otherwise miss.

Here's a race i really enjoyed though;The 1990 Nissan 400. It wasn't the "Mint" race anymore, and the Las Vegas speedway was just a few years away,so the small oval race track and drag strip were soon to be gone, but it was a good off road race day.I would have filmed more than i did except that i only had one camera battery at the time.As you can tell from the video, i was there from sun up till sun down.Seemed like i walked a 100 miles that day.

What's your YouTube channel?

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

D Bergstrom

Reaction
My biggest memories of that race were getting Ivan to sign a Toyota poster early that morning before the race started, and Robby Gordon going through the speedway section. The cars would come in on the paved oval and then go into the infield where there were a few jumps and turns. Robby had that Class 8 truck in a full four wheel drift on the pavement.

My old college roommate in the 90's would borrow his sisters video camera and record all day at the races. Boy do I wish I would of made a copy of those.

Mojave Traveler, any videos of the 1994 Parker 400? That was the first Parker race I went to.

Doug

Last edited:

Mojave Traveler

Reaction
I wish i could have caught RG going through the infield course!..I was all over the place though..lol

I wish you had a copy of those tapes too! Lots of history sitting in boxes every where, i would guess. Just fading away.

I looked through my tapes and couldn't find a 1994 Parker. I know i have '95 and '96. I did find an interview with Ivan Stewart and Cal Wells before the 1994 Parker on a show called "On Pit Road"..The video quality is really bad,but it's worth watching if you're an Ironman fan. I remember my cable company having satellite issues at that time. I'll post it up.

Last edited:

Mojave Traveler

Reaction
My biggest memories of that race were getting Ivan to sign a Toyota poster early that morning before the race started, and Robby Gordon going through the speedway section. The cars would come in on the paved oval and then go into the infield where there were a few jumps and turns. Robby had that Class 8 truck in a full four wheel drift on the pavement.

My old college roommate in the 90's would borrow his sisters video camera and record all day at the races. Boy do I wish I would of made a copy of those.

Mojave Traveler, any videos of the 1994 Parker 400? That was the first Parker race I went to.

Doug

toddz

Reaction
Just watched the '90 Nissan 400 - so awesome! Danny Ashcroft's Bronco II, Big Oly II, Jordans' El Camino, all those awesome Class 8s (Robin Tullener, Kishiyama Bros, Sage Council, etc.). Truly some of the glory days in my opinion.

Todd Z.

D Bergstrom

Reaction
I looked through my tapes and couldn't find a 1994 Parker. I know i have '95 and '96. I did find an interview with Ivan Stewart and Cal Wells before the 1994 Parker on a show called "On Pit Road"..The video quality is really bad,but it's worth watching if you're an Ironman fan. I remember my cable company having satellite issues at that time. I'll post it up.

Thanks. I was hoping you would say yes I have a tape of the 1994 Parker 400 and I went out early and got some footage of the bikes and quads! That was the last year bikes and quads raced. We camped along Shae Road and I remember the bikes and quads going down the wash early race morning, but I was to hungover at that point, figure I had more time to sleep before the trucks and buggies started. Wish I would have paid more attention now!

Doug

Mojave Traveler

Reaction
Thanks. I was hoping you would say yes I have a tape of the 1994 Parker 400 and I went out early and got some footage of the bikes and quads! That was the last year bikes and quads raced. We camped along Shae Road and I remember the bikes and quads going down the wash early race morning, but I was to hungover at that point, figure I had more time to sleep before the trucks and buggies started. Wish I would have paid more attention now!

Doug
Sorry i didn't have that for ya..If i'd been there i probably would have filmed the bikes and quads for sure! I missed an historic moment in desert racing by one year.We camped out at Parker in '95 and '96.

D Bergstrom

Reaction
Sorry i didn't have that for ya..If i'd been there i probably would have filmed the bikes and quads for sure! I missed an historic moment in desert racing by one year.We camped out at Parker in '95 and '96.

No problem. I was there in 95 and 96 also, will for sure have to check those out once they get posted. Every year we would camp along Shae Road, then hike over to the goat trail early in the morning and hang out there all day. I have raced the Parker 250 11 times on my quad, starting in 2006. Every time I race through there, I always think of all the good times I have had in Parker in the last couple of decades.

Doug

Mojave Traveler

Reaction
No problem. I was there in 95 and 96 also, will for sure have to check those out once they get posted. Every year we would camp along Shae Road, then hike over to the goat trail early in the morning and hang out there all day. I have raced the Parker 250 11 times on my quad, starting in 2006. Every time I race through there, I always think of all the good times I have had in Parker in the last couple of decades.

Doug
Wow, you must know the whole area pretty good then.I've only been around the Shae Rd. area. The BLM had most of the course blocked off during the times i've been there. I filmed in the river wash, south of Shae Rd., and along the goat trail to the north. Parker is a great little town though.I love the feel of it.