1993 Dale White's Cl 3 Chevy Blazer

retroblazer

Reaction
I am trying to get pictures of the front suspension on Dale White's Class 3 Blazer that had been converted to torsion bar and A-Arms for the 1993 season. Come on you photo sleuths!

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
Why? that turd had so much bump steer you had to wear welding gloves to drive It and NEGATIVE ackerman on top of a camber angle that made a ford twin I beam look good. Some dude in the reno area bought that thing in the fall of 1998 and I have never seen It since. He must be to ashamed to admit he is the proud owner.

R_TAYLOR

Reaction
Why? that turd had so much bump steer you had to wear welding gloves to drive It and NEGATIVE ackerman on top of a camber angle that made a ford twin I beam look good. Some dude in the reno area bought that thing in the fall of 1998 and I have never seen It since. He must be to ashamed to admit he is the proud owner.
It sounds like you didnt care for that truck.

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
AAAHH NO I didn't It was built In dales back yard and when he switched this truck from a class 3 to a class 8 [while still having the blazer frame] he decided to install the torsion bar front end OMG what a roach that thing was a pogo stick and drove like a shopping cart full of bowling balls. The only one that could drive the POS was dale. If their was In car cameras back then he would have brought new meaning to the turm SAWING THE WHEEL.

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
No that one was julie collins [brians wife at the time] prerunner that one was sold in 1999 to one of the guys that ran with the george seely guys. As a matter of fact I never got the title for the XR600 that he put down as a down payment for that blazer. OH well I cant find that bike on a bet today anyhow.

cmorley

Reaction
Jeffro you make me laugh!!! you definately dont sugar coat anything you have ever said! Ever!!

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
You have never drove that thing have you:eek::eek:

retroblazer

Reaction
Bring it. How is it that you are familiar with the set-up? I want to possibly do a modern version.

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
Myself and a small army TRIED to make it work the truck was wadded up in the baja 1000 in 1997 due to dale falling asleep or he could no longer "SAW THE WHEEL" any more.

retroblazer

Reaction
As I understood from Dale, the truck was faster than the straight axle. My impression was that he campaigned it in Class 3 with the A-arm set-up. What were the limitations, knowing that the frame could not be modified? Why so much bump steer? MORE more info!

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
I was pitting for Dale, Brian and Larry Ragland at the 1000 when Dale wadded up the truck near Ojos. That truck (class 8) actually worked pretty well, considering it won the Overall Baja 1000 the year before (or something like that). Remember, when the TT's first started out, they had an overall winner in bikes, TT's, and the rest of the field, thats when he beat all the class 1's and all but a few TT's. When Dale first built that truck, he's right, it was a pogo POS, I have footage of it at the SF race in 96 I think it was...he stood it up on his rear bumper.....TWICE....... in a set of whoops infront of me. He finally figured it out and it ran strong.

Mark Newhan

Reaction
Here is a picture of it as a class 8. Chris Gray now owns it.

Rory, it never won an OA, but he did win class 8 a couple of years.

Attachments

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
Here is a picture of it as a class 8. Chris Gray now owns it.

Rory, it never won an OA, but he did win class 8 a couple of years.
Mark, read the fine print. SCORE use to rate the finishers of TT and the rest of the pro classes separately. Here's a "cut and paste" from a 1995 press release:

1995 Paul Krause/Ty Davis/Ted Hunnicutt Jr. Kawasaki 19:31:19

Larry Ragland (Trophy-Truck) Chevrolet 20:14:12

Dale White Chevy Truck 21:57:03

It was titled "Overall winners of the Baja 1000". Of course the true winner was Krause/Davis/Hunnicutt Jr. Thats just how they did it back then. :D

Mark Newhan

Reaction
Mark, read the fine print. SCORE use to rate the finishers of TT and the rest of the pro classes separately. Here's a "cut and paste" from a 1995 press release:

1995 Paul Krause/Ty Davis/Ted Hunnicutt Jr. Kawasaki 19:31:19

Larry Ragland (Trophy-Truck) Chevrolet 20:14:12

Dale White Chevy Truck 21:57:03

It was titled "Overall winners of the Baja 1000". Of course the true winner was Krause/Davis/Hunnicutt Jr. Thats just how they did it back then. :D
Technicality;)

retroblazer

Reaction
What, does everybody have ADD? Class 3 is not Class 8 Dale's Class 8 vehicles are well known, but he it is Class 3 history that has particular interest. This picture of his truck at the 93' Mint is the one I am after. Savage let him graft an ifs onto the front of the Blazer, because I'm guessing at that point, the ttb bronco's had been murdering the straight axles.

Attachments

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
His class 3 blazer frame and all morphed into a class 8 around 1995 he got tired of having to use PVC pipe for simulated drive axels in the front just to get it through tech.
around this time he started on mike peterson's 3 seat prerunner he took everything he diden't know and applied it to that ILL HANDLING turd you could not turn that thing around in a football feild It had so much negative ackerman the outside tire would plow a furrow and if you pushed it hard in a turn the outside tire could cam over and then you had to backup to get the tire unlocked. Yea I was impressed:eek:

retroblazer

Reaction
His class 3 blazer frame and all morphed into a class 8 around 1995 he got tired of having to use PVC pipe for simulated drive axels in the front just to get it through tech.
around this time he started on mike peterson's 3 seat prerunner he took everything he diden't know and applied it to that ILL HANDLING turd you could not turn that thing around in a football feild It had so much negative ackerman the outside tire would plow a furrow and if you pushed it hard in a turn the outside tire could cam over and then you had to backup to get the tire unlocked. Yea I was impressed:eek:
So let's jump forward 16 years. Getting a 4wd a-arm set up to work today isn't that big of a deal, but I need shots of it to go back to Savage to remind him that he allowed the changes at one point. The one shot I have isn't enough. I want more. I was also hoping to see how they built a cradle or sub-frame to hold the centersection and the mounts for the lower arms. Given your comments about the excessive bump steer, I am assuming they were using stock arms. Thanks for your input.

Roger Gray

Reaction
So as Mark Newhan said my cousin does have the truck. Its actually is at my parents house. Chris if you need pictures of it, I can certainly get some for you. Let me know.

The history as I know it is, Dale sold it to Steve Ral????? in '99/'00. He then took about 3-4 years rebuilding the truck. My cousin and uncle bought it in '04/'05 from Steve. It has been a great truck for them.

http://www.shutterfly.com/progal/slideshow.jsp?auto=0&aid=768a5498cf43c11c7ab4&idx=3

Here is apicture from the VORRA May race in '08. My cousin took 1st in class 8, and
4th overall.