• Forum membership has its advantages....

1994 Ford F-150 suspension help

ShopRat

Have a '94 f150 what would be the best way to give it more suspension travel? I don't wanna dump lots of money into yet I'm just starting out never done anything like this before. So the cheaper the better and also wondering if front shock hoops are something I have to have fabricated or is there a company that makes them for that year or truck? If I have to fabricate them can someone who has done so give me advice

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
Speed, price, quality: choose two.

AZFR8TRAIN

Have a '94 f150 what would be the best way to give it more suspension travel? I don't wanna dump lots of money into yet I'm just starting out never done anything like this before. So the cheaper the better and also wondering if front shock hoops are something I have to have fabricated or is there a company that makes them for that year or truck? If I have to fabricate them can someone who has done so give me advice
Way too many options. Usually if you can buy it. It is easier than fab your self. What is not a ton Of money ? Four wheel. Two wheel ? Look at mine and ask any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

ShopRat

Way too many options. Usually if you can buy it. It is easier than fab your self. What is not a ton Of money ? Four wheel. Two wheel ? Look at mine and ask any questions.

To much money in my opinion would be over $3,000 just starting out and not really knowing much so $3,000 would be my budget (for now), it's 2wd with a 5.0 single cab, I was told to do a lift for bigger tires. I guess my first question is...I have the truck what should be my main priority to give it more travel? I've never done off-roading other then using dirtbikes, I was gonna build a street car but I would rather have fun in the dirt and always wanted a "pre-runner" I was told using shocks that are 2.0 or 2.5 would be good because they would be cheaper and the truck isent heavy to need bigger shocks then 2.5's
Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

vegasloki

A $3k budget for more travel on both ends won't get you that far. Shock hoops or any suspension component aren't good places to start to learn to fabricate for off road. Bolt on is good for just starting plus if you are going to fab you need some tube fab tools.

Bigger tires will easily eat up a grand and that's if you don't get new wheels. Rear springs $800-grand, low cost 2.0 smooth body shocks are $100-200 each, front springs another few hundred or so, radius arms another $800 or so. It adds up pretty quickly. If you want to just do a body lift and have a solid trail truck you could probably make that in $3k. Maybe. Body lift, shocks and tires not too bad. Starting to build more movement capability is where the cash comes in.

I was able to get a donor with most of the suspension already on it, it just needs a rebuild and some TLC. Check the classifieds here for low cost used parts. Particularly tires, some good deals. It's rough though being in MI for those deals particularly if you're a Yooper due to shipping. Most of them are in So Cal and even from Vegas to So Cal it can be a hassle.

Both of these outfits seem to be only half way crazy (that's as good as it gets in off road...)

Camburg Engineering | Suspension Systems - Coilovers - Upper Arms- Fabrication Parts - Race Rear Ends - Billet Tube Clamps - Accessories - Billet Race Hubs - Long Travel Kits - Leaf Springs I've got one of their older kits, nice work, stout.

SDHQ Off Road I've gotten a few bits and bobs from them from the trailer at the Mint.

Have a look at either of those and that should give you an idea of what you're looking at.