1997 - 2002 Expedition Prerunner

robjs111

Reaction
Anybody built a expedition prerunner either 4wd or 2wd?? Throwing around some ideas of maybe starting a build and wondering if anybody has any ideas for or against?
Thanks.

Tipracer

Reaction
we have a '99 4x4 that we use in the desert all the time...not so much for prerunning(makes a great chase vehicle) but we did prerun the 1st 40 miles of last years thousand...no problems...It depends on wether or not you have the air suspension ....if you do lift kits are few and far between, it can be done but it gets expensive to do it right..there are kits availible to convert from air suspension to coilovers but also $$$, a custom kit can be built but it takes time and money, lots of money, more so if you want to keep the 4x4...remember these things are HEAVY and although it has a great engine the weight demands that you build everything REALLY strong...We were kicking around the idea of a three or four link and long arm front end but we found a deal that we could not pass up on a old class three so we kind of put it on the back burner. I cant remember now but there was a person who had a lot of experience building them...I will look it up and post it when I find it...

robjs111

Reaction
Like what kind of issue would there be in building an expeition? I am sure there are because you do not see any builts expos at all really?

I have a full H&M front end kit, currie built 9 inch, deavers, wilwoods, kings, fiberglass and lots of 4.6/5.4 parts i have been collecting. Currently have a 98 f150 2wd ext cab that I was ready to build but the expedition interests me. The 97 - 02 f150, expo have real issues as far as interior/engine cage with the ac systems on the interior firewall, etc. That would require a lot more fabricating than say a 96 style f150, bronco and like u said more $$.

What about converting the rear of an expo to leaf springs and adding a 9 inch? You would be kind if limited on upward travel with the expo right as far as 3 or 4 link?

I was thinking more on the lines of building an expo with a full H&M front end with king 2.5 baypass, coilovers, converting rear to leaf srping with 9 inch, fiberglass in front, pulling rear bedsides, bolt on for 5.4, prerunner front/rear bumpers and a prerunner style interior/engine cage.

What do u think?

egert

Reaction
I have a 97 4x4 expedition it has a dixon bros front end,four link the rear. King coil over on all four corner and bump stop. I had racer off road do all the work and they did a real good job

Attachments

• pre runner for sale 05-11-09 004.JPG
    pre runner for sale 05-11-09 004.JPG
    614.1 KB · Views: 5,292
  • pre runner for sale 05-11-09 001.JPG
    pre runner for sale 05-11-09 001.JPG
    697.4 KB · Views: 3,760
  • pre runner for sale 05-11-09 006.JPG
    pre runner for sale 05-11-09 006.JPG
    693.8 KB · Views: 2,411
  • pre runner for sale 05-11-09 003.JPG
    pre runner for sale 05-11-09 003.JPG
    705.5 KB · Views: 2,759

robjs111

Reaction
can u send more pics of expo? what did u do with dash, ac system, engine cage? ac system under interior of dash takes up a lot of room. do u do a custom dash? how much front/rear travel?
thanks

egert

Reaction
can u send more pics of expo? what did u do with dash, ac system, engine cage? ac system under interior of dash takes up a lot of room. do u do a custom dash? how much front/rear travel?
thanks
I used the stock dash,stock ac,engine cage came with kit. front travel is about 14" and rear is about 16"

Attachments

• pre runner for sale 05-11-09 002.JPG
    pre runner for sale 05-11-09 002.JPG
    647.5 KB · Views: 2,587
  • for sale 004.jpg
    for sale 004.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 2,140

egert

Reaction
great looking expedition, looks like it gets the job done. How does it do at speed
It dose real good at high speed.I pre ran the 07 500 it was stock, I had all work done after that it made all differnts in the world.

bean dip

Reaction
Dude, you need to call Mike McComas (ACE MOTORSPORTS) in San Jacinto. (951) 654-7293 McComas Autobody in SJ. He's been building/Racing and winning Expo's for years, BITD Champs for many years.

flybyracing

Reaction
are you running the stock links or longer ones? im getting ready to do prety much the same rear end on my expy. what spring rate are you running?

Twilson

Reaction
I have a 99 2wd expo that I wanna pre runner but still use as my daily driver and still drive while I build it can anyone help me