1998 ford explorer questions please help

jacobflyin

Reaction
So I have been playing around with the idea of doing a explorer Prerunner with the DBR front suspension kit but not sure about the 4x4 or all wheel drive on the explorer everything I read you can not put locking hubs on them and there is no real way to keep the front axle from spinning.

If any one has a 4x4 explorer how does it work in the dirt or sand with the all wheel drive any help would be great thinking about picking one up this week.

ErikShallbetter

Reaction
I think most of the A arm explorers you see are 2 wheel drives. I know the rangers share components, but I am honestly not certain about the hubs. Try checking out explorer4x4.com those guys may have some more insider info.

jacobflyin

Reaction
Its not the spinning it's that, they call it an all wheel drive so yo can never really put it into 2WD there is all ways some power transfer to the front end. there is a brown wire mod but only on the ones that have a 4auto 4hi 4 low switch and I can not find an explorer with the V8 that has that switch they came in the V6 models most of the V8's are full Auto 4WD.

All so a lot of the guys I will be running with have 4WD toys with the TC kits on them so if I do get stuck from time to time I will be fine.

Does any one know if Dixon Bros is still open I have called and left mesages and no return phone call???

atomicjoe23

Reaction
I didn't realize that they were AWD. . .good to know.

I sure hope Dixon Bros. is still open, I was wanting to get the 4WD Ranger LT front suspension kit sometime in the near future.

PrerunnerManiac

Reaction
Website
www.prerunnermaniac.com
I didn't realize that they were AWD. . .good to know.

I sure hope Dixon Bros. is still open, I was wanting to get the 4WD Ranger LT front suspension kit sometime in the near future.

To get true 2wd search 4406 swap. You take a BW 4406 transfer case from a 97 to 03 F150.

BTW we are taking over for DBR. Check out Vegas Dezert Fab.