2-1600 wheels?? 15"v16"

C. Bucher

Reaction
MarkAcunaOffRoad said:
I just bought a 2-1600 and looking at all the possible wheels available. I have noticed that a lot of the guys are running the Centerline wheel...any particular reason? How about beadlock wheels like BTR? They only make them in 15". Just trying to find out as much as possible before I spend $$$.

The cost on Centerlines recently just skyrocketed. Nearly $250-$300 a rim. BTR is going to be the next 1600 rim.

The hard compound implement tire that BFG offers that a lot of 1600 car guys only come in 16". Two 1600 car racers I know that when asked why they run a 16" rim answered, "They dont know, they all noticed Rob Mac was and so they changed.

Ramsey has a point. about the larger rim having a larger rolling radius. I wonder if anyone has done the math on that to see how much of a difference there is if any in the different sizes.

gwm

Reaction
Website
www.lecheroracing.com
The bigger the tire the smaller the hole. If you can pull the bigger tire do it. Unless of course you want to buy some of my old 15s. In that case it's 15s all the way!!

ShaneR

Reaction
Website
www.teamrobinson.com
the tire for the 16" rim is larger than the largest tire you can get for the 15" rim in the 7.50 style. All the 10 cars used to run this setup and then switched to running 33's in the front.

ACME

Reaction
Barrow and test with both and as many different rear tire styles as you can find before you buy. We tried 16's on the front of our 16 and we didn't like the way the car handled so we ran 15's. The primary reason for 16's is greater wheel/caliper clearance with narrow wheels and disc brakes, second is the weight. Run what works best on your car not the flavor of the month.

David_Girdner

Reaction
Website
www.3GRacing.com
We've run a bunch of different combinations of 15/16 inch wheels over the past couple years on our 1600 cars. If want to run BFGs, you'll want to go with the 16" wheels as BFG doesn't offer a good 15" tire option for a 1600. The reason I heard that Rob Mac started running the 16" wheels in the first place was that he didn't want to run the heavier Baja T/As on a 1600 car.

We found that the 16" wheels (and bigger tires) were a lot harder on front end parts though we liked how the car handled with the bigger front tires. On the rear, a rounded tire (like a 33x9x15 either Yokohama or Mickey Thompson) performs/handles better in sand washes. I believe we were running a 235/75/16 on the 16" wheels and those measured just under 32" tall which made the car quicker through the gears.

Just like everything else, there are pros/cons to both sizes. Right now we're running 15" BTR wheels all around with Mickey Thompson Baja Pro 30x7x15 up front and 33x9x15 in the rear on our single seater and are very happy with the combo.

01_el_tiburon

Bait Fish
Reaction
at last years baja 1000, i had the Vildosola Pit set up by the Puertecitos area, where Rob Mac wsa going to get in the TT, and i was giving him a hard time that every time he changed something on his 1600 car, everybody follows. The tire size, the air filter, etc...

And all he said was " they dont even know why i changed to 16 tires....". Couldnt get the reason why out of him....

omar

hammer down racing

Reaction
MarkAcunaOffRoad said:
I just bought a 2-1600 and looking at all the possible wheels available. I have noticed that a lot of the guys are running the Centerline wheel...any particular reason? How about beadlock wheels like BTR? They only make them in 15". Just trying to find out as much as possible before I spend $$$.

Centerlines are easily bent back into shape. Cast wheels like BTRs don't bend, they break.

I have seen some 16 cars running beadlocks lately. I thought that no one ran them before because of weight. I will just stick to the good old fashioned 15" Centerlines.