2.2 ecotec water temp

race-desert

Reaction
I'm running a 2.2 ecotec in a baja - stock inlet water neck at block with heater hoses blocked off and plunger blocked shut and a gutted thermostat, I have recently seen a step up in temp to 225 on 2 to 3 miles on the gas runs. this kinda all of a sudden started happening from 210 in same situation. so it now has new water pump, 50/50 aniti, redline water wetter and new 16 lb cap and still same deal! the computer has never recognized the o2 sensor but that has been since day one years ago.( and steve humpfries won't help anymore after sending back computer three times) has anybody else had a computer start doing something all of a sudden like sending a signal to lean motor and noticed temp change?.

Question to the guys running the ecotec in the cars/buggys what water temps you see on easy mid throttle runs and WO up the sand wash pulls? thanks..
DSC_0180.JPG

green787

Reaction
Without the O2 sensor, you could have lean or rich issues... What you are trying to do is difficult in any situation where you have the radiator that close to the engine... I would mount it up front and have copper pipe and a few flex hoses hooking it all up..... The extra length of copper tubing will dissipate a lot of heat....
I'm just not seeing how that radiator would be able to dissipate all the heat coming off the motor in the position it is in... It' looks to me like the fan is sucking the heat right off the top of the engine and pulling the hot air through the radiator....

race-desert

Reaction
yes to all somewhat-- this car has been on the road in this configuration for 5 years 30,000 miles and the first 3 flawless running temps 185 with thremo in on used miles motor out of junk yard! this is the second motor which was a crate motor and ran flawless 185 with thermos in for about six mounts then temps jumped up and became very erratic going from 175 to 220 and hanging for a min or so then just lump fall back to 175 a year or so ago- that's when I pulled the thermos out to get it back steady at 185 to 205 on hard pulls! then just a month ago the temps jumped again to what was said in OP.. I think there is other issues than rad placement. yes to not recognizing O2 but again that has been that way since day one. so i'm sure it is running off some set parameter in the fueling deal. but there could be plenty of other things taking it to a lean condition-computer-weak fuel pump-fuel filter being plugged-atmosphere temp sensor-fuel injectors going bad-rad flowing less water, other things checked - temp sensor reading wrong -no oil in water and vice a versa-it is endless (but I have checked bold stuff) ! and as far as thremo goes I did gut one and put it in there to try and keep water slowed down.. so something is happening on a true and tested car that is outa my brain power right now..
(30,000 is not a typo)

Last edited: