2.9 help

boltonbros

Reaction
my truck is broke i have no idea what is wrong with it. it is a 1987 ford ranger with a 2.9 v6. maybe some one can help me. i was out beating on my truck and she all of a sudden broke down. it just shut off. i tried to crank it over and i even tried to jump start it and it was not working. so i changed the fuel filter. i also changed the fuel relay. there was not fuel getting to my engine so i cut into my fuel pump wires and hooked it strait up to the battery. the fuel is now getting to my injector rail. the bleeder on the injector rail has plenty of pressure and spits out fuel when i pushed it. i put a gas soaked rag on the intake and cranked it over and it started up. when it was running from the gas on the rag we had the fuel pump running but when we would take the gas rag away it would die. so i tested the wires going to the fuel injectiors and they are getting a constant power of 12v to both of the wires orange and black. it is getting no fuel into the engine or something what are your thoughts? thank you for your help.

when in doubt throttle it out

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Check the inertia switch...if that year had it..not sure

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

fnkrngr

Reaction
Yeah your truck should have a inertia switch located under the dash on the passenger side of the firewall.It may be hidden by carpet or padding,it should have a reset button on top

You dont know the looks i get with this truck on the east coast.

singlehanded

Reaction
Ya I had that problem one time but I slammed into a stopped car at like 40 mph.

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

boltonbros

Reaction
i reset that and it did not work can i just cut the two wires and hook them up directly to each other? i reset the thing after i tore the truck apart like an idiot. i will put it all back together then try it. thanks

fnkrngr

Reaction
yeah if you want to eliminate it connect the wires from the switch to each other

You dont know the looks i get with this truck on the east coast.

DougM

Reaction
theres a small little module on the side of the distributor that fails quite often(it was actually a HUGE recall) I had one fail in my old ranger and the truck just stopped dead in its tracks.
Id check that out as its an easy fix.

Check with Ford to see if its covered under the recall.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://money.cnn.com/2001/08/20/home_auto/q_consumerqa/faulty_ignitions.GIF>http://money.cnn.com/2001/08/20/home_auto/q_consumerqa/faulty_ignitions.GIF</A>

Ford Motor Co. has proposed a settlement agreement to replace faulty ignition switches on an estimated 5 million vehicles. The ignition switches known as the "thick-film ignition module" regulates electric currents to spark plugs. In certain models the switch was mounted on the distributor which heats up quickly and can cause the car to stall without warning.

Ford has said they will replace ignition switches that have stalled and have no more than 100,000 miles. They also agreed to extend the warranties from 50,000-to-100,000 miles on vehicles with distributor mounted ignition modules going back to 1983 so owners can have the problems fixed for free

frankh

Reaction
the injectors always have 12v to them. The computer grounds one lead to make it work. I have an engine and computer if you want it. Free, you just have to come and get it.

Frank

boltonbros

Reaction
thanks frank i would if i lived over there but i might have a hard time since i am in hawaii. but thank you

tedmales

Reaction
if you have acces to a fuel pressure gauge you should hook it up and make sure you have enough pressure. there can be lots of fuel squirting out at you, but not enough to open the injectors. they need the pressure to help them open. also you can buy a node (a small light that plugs into the harness where your injector does) and make sure that the injector is getting a pulse. also check the pressure regulator, i had a ranger that had the regulator diaphram break and it would not run. also i on the same ranger i had a small ( 14 gauge) wire on the battery break and the truck just died. that was the ecm ground wire, directly to battery. good luck and welcome to the p.o.s. early ranger club

life is too short to be small