2.9L

boltonbros

I have a 2.9l in my ranger and i want to keep it for my race truck for now so i was wondering what are some vidal things that i can do to it to make it have more power. any advice on this motor would be great, thanks

Hang Loose

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Send it to Raider Engineering.

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late"

sirhk100

WOW that was mind blowingly helpful Kritter, especially considering his location!!!

Khris

'92 Ford Exploder (AKA Dezert Limo cause it's loaded)

fly97ford

JBA headers is a nice add-on. It made a night and day difference on my 87 2.9L. Pulled all the way to redline where before it would fall on its face at 3500.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Just trying to be honest...nothing you bolt on to that thing is gonna help much so call or send it to a reputable shop that builds them. Didnt know there was much desert racing in Hawaii. Your comment was much more useless then mine although somewhat humorous.

Kris

sirhk100

Well, I just doubt he'll actually ship his motor across the water to have it built... If he does, he's definately hard core!!!!!

'92 Ford Exploder (AKA Dezert Limo cause it's loaded)

dezertchick

Not much you can do with a 2.9, they are good for a long life but as to HP, forget it. Every builder I have spoken with said to not touch it. You can add headers but then again you start messing up the computer. A 2.8 is easier to build. Or a 4.0. There are stroker kits for everything BUT the 2.9. My 2.9 have over 220,000 miles and still going. So look at that motor as one that will live a long time if taken care of.

boltonbros

Would it be worth it to put a intake, exaust or anything else on it or should i leave it till it breaks and get a 4.0 that is what i am planning on but i do not have the money right now. for now i want to run the 2.9.

Hang Loose

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Research Pat Kunz, he is the only 2.9 builder who advertises on the internet. Head work, pistons, rods, cam, motec injection, custom equal length headers, single exhaust and you got yourself maybe 200 hp...maybe. Not worth the effort in my opinion.

Kris

boltonbros

ok thanks for all you help i will probably leave it till it breaks. " don't mess with it unless it is broke".

Hang Loose

boltonbros

my engine broke down this weekend. i can't fiqure it out, i was not getting fuel up to my motor so i redid the wiring on the fuel pump and i am getting fuel pumped to the motor but it will not start. it cranks over and when i use starting fluid it starts up but it will not burn the gas or the gas is not getting in my cylinders. i don't know any advise

Hang Loose