2" and 2.5" shocks - equivalents

the frog

Reaction
i'm building a desert racer for which i intended to get 4 2.5"x16" Bilstein c/o shocks(+ 4 bypass shocks which i already have).

i have an opportunity to get for free 8 2"x16" Bilstein c/o shocks.

would two 2" shocks do the same job as one 2.5" shock?

same thing? better? worse?

i do'nt mean springs and spring rates, i'm o.k. with that - i need to know about the shock functioning.

anyone with experince in this matter?

Wendell #527

Reaction
If you want to race it seriously, you don't want 8 c/o shocks on one vehicle that was built for 4. Depending on what you have, you could possibly use four of the 2" c/overs, though. If you're going to do most of the dampening with the bypasses, anyway, it might be do-able. However, if you need to do a lot of the dampening with the c/o shocks, a 2" will obviously have to work a lot harder to do what a 2.5 would do easier. I agree, call bilstein and tell them what kind of car you have and they'll tell you if 2" will work.

Random Thoughts Racing

Reaction
i'm building a desert racer for which i intended to get 4 2.5"x16" Bilstein c/o shocks(+ 4 bypass shocks which i already have).

i have an opportunity to get for free 8 2"x16" Bilstein c/o shocks.

would two 2" shocks do the same job as one 2.5" shock?

same thing? better? worse?

i do'nt mean springs and spring rates, i'm o.k. with that - i need to know about the shock functioning.

anyone with experince in this matter?
What is the vehicle weight and what is the racing venue? I wouldnt reccomend running multiple coilspring sets per wheel if for no other reasons than the additional weight of all those springs and the mounting complexity, perhaps 4 coilovers and if the vehicle needs it run additional shocks as unsprung "helpers" as needed?

Regarding 1- 2.5" vs. 2- 2" its a toss up on outright performance, of course the valvings will be different between the two packages.