2" extended axles....

4x4Yota

2\" extended axles....

Anyone know how much 2" extended front axles cost for a 93 Toyota 4WD truck? Were can you get these from or done at? Thanks

4x4Yota

Re: 2\" extended axles....

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure you have to use custom axles because the Caddy kit is 3.25" wide and uses T100 axle shafts. The kit i'm sondering about is 2" wide. So i'm not sure.

fishd00d

What A Joke

The T-100 axles will NOT work with the 2" kit. You have to run the Porshe 930 CV's. We have some in stock at Baja Concepts. Give me a call on Monday if you want. They are like $1000 though!
(760) 723-2117

4x4Yota

Is there any other option besides the 930 cv's? Can you extend the stock axles or something? Thanks

tedmales

i have heard other people talk about that you cannot lenthen the shafts, but why not?

ntsqd

Because they are a torsion bar. Your only practical method for lengthening them would be welding. Welding springs just never seems to work very well.

If the halfshafts in question are splined at both ends you can have new ones made to the right length. That still leaves the question of whether the angularity of the stock CV's is exceeded or not.

tedmales

they have a torsion bar like load, but i do not think they flex like one. maybe a little, but not like a spring. are they made from spring steel, or some type of alloy. it would seem that because the load on them is not that great, and not constant like a rear end, it could be done if it was done carefully.
just my idea.

ntsqd

They don't wind up like a t-bar does, they're designed so as to minimize that. That wind-up is part of what is called "Torque Steer" in a front driver.

They do, however, see reversing torsional loads which are far, far more destructive than the loads a t-bar sees. Reversing torsion is a shaft design worst case scenario.
Give up on welding them and move on to something more productive.

drtdevil93

if i remember right, a tacoma has about 200 ft/lbs.

transfer case gearing 2.72
differential gearing 4.11:1
first gear (manual) approx. 4:1

200*2.72*4.11*4= 8943 ft/lbs of torque.

ive seen homemade "extended" shafts break. this is not a component you want to do cheap.

erik

tedmales

"if i remember right, a tacoma has about 200 ft/lbs.

transfer case gearing 2.72
differential gearing 4.11:1
first gear (manual) approx. 4:1

200*2.72*4.11*4= 8943 ft/lbs of torque."

8943 ft'lbs of torque / 4 wheels = 2235.75 ft/lbs. per wheel in 4 wheel drive.

that would be at 100 % efficiency, and that would never ever, ever happen. and plus the wheels would have to be locked down solid. i am not saying that they would not break, but most drive shafts are welded. don't be mad because i have different views, but i think they could be extended if the proper metal and welding process was used.

SuperDave

I've already tried looking for other options. There aren't any...that are good. The $1000 kit is you best bet if you want something dependable. And it IS dependable. I've had my kit for 3 years now.

V8Ranger

Re: but most drive shafts are welded

Most drive shafts are mild steel so they tend to have better results when welded. Your right, welding might work but when you start welding high carbon/heat treated parts things can get complicated.

sirhk100

I don't know if this is relavent but the front axles on my Ford TTB system on my Exploder have been cut, machined down, and welded an extra length of tubing into them. I've got 2 HARD years of use on them with no cracks and no "visable" twist on them. I drew a straight edge line down them to keep an eye on. I've done prerunning and rock crawling with this rig... And it's got a 4.0 V6, 33" tires and 4.56 gears so I'm sure in Low it see's some decent torque...

Khris

drtdevil93

whos mad? im just saying i know a thing of 2 about tempered steel, and in my expert opinion, i would say it should never be welded. axles do actually twist up, much more than is realized. put enough stress through there and it will shatter.

and your numbers ignore that differentials and tires slip and all the torque can go into one tire.

erik

partybarge_pilot

Re: but most drive shafts are welded

They are also before the gear reduction in the rear end..... Welding will work for set up, but they're not going to be striaght and will prematurly wear your CV's/ u-joints. Be prepiared to spend the money for good parts.

humboldt

I was talking to Mike Kkenig (Locos Mocos) a couple years back about his mid 90's Toyota truck. At the time he had the Total Chaos Cadillac kit but he had just upgraded from the 2" wider Total Chaos kit. He used his stock axles with the 2" kit, cut them in half, sleeved them, and welded them 2" longer. Not sure about the actual details since he had already gotten rid of the kit, but I know it's been done and apparently they held up.

Here's a picture of the truck, apparently he drove it pretty hard and pretty often:

Attachments

Curtis Guise

Administrator

I think I still have a set of 2" extended axles laying around from the truck I sold. I used them with the first TC kit I had then I got T100 axles when I put the Caddy kit on that truck. When I extended the axles we cut them in half then machined the ends down and made some thick chromolly sleves then TIG welded them. Then we used a lathe, gauge and a press to make them almost perfectly straight again. But I only put the truck in 4wd if I was worried about getting stuck, or if I got stuck somewhere because I never knew how strong they were. By the time you buy a set of 930 CV's for it you could probably sell what you have and get a Caddy kit and T100 axles for not much more money.