• Forum membership has its advantages....

2 piece fire suits against one piece suits

ATRacing

I am very curious why the two piece race suits are not permitted in SCORE. Have they been proved to be more dangerous than their one piece counterpart? In Baja, where there can be a lot of waiting around prior to start racing etc., it is very nice to be able t take the jacket off in high temperatures, however I was curious if some in the industry had any negative facts on the two piece suits?

Thanks in advance
Andrea

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
I would assume it's because fire can get in between the jacket and the pants. One piece covers your whole body and there is no risk of it sliding open or lifting.

frostbite36

Capt. Hindsight
I would assume it's because fire can get in between the jacket and the pants. One piece covers your whole body and there is no risk of it sliding open or lifting.
Yup...that's it.
Also, SNORE, BITD, & MORE rules. Because of the isolated nature of desert racing with no firetruck nearby in a crash, it's a no brainer additional safety precaution with few drawbacks.
Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

mgobaja

Another possible thing, where they allow 2 pieces suits is that they require nomex or similar type underwear as well.

43mod

sure wish you could get an off the shelf long waisted suit. I am 5 10 235 w short legs and all are too short waisted. I guess I need to spend real money someday on a custom .

ATRacing

Thanks for everyone's reply. Kind of confirmed by thoughts... although those two piece suits sure are comfortable. Unless you get caught in a fire I guess!!

Thanks

Bro_Gill

The real issue is that as you bounce up and down in the seat, the bottom of the jacket rides up between your back and the seat and stays up. Exposes your back and sides. No bueno. The one piece suit prevents this problem. When you are doing 300 moh for 4 seconds in 1/4 mile, not such a big deal, but having that thing ball up in your back for 800 miles is not only unsafe, but uncomfortable as well.

JaysinDesignz

sure wish you could get an off the shelf long waisted suit. I am 5 10 235 w short legs and all are too short waisted. I guess I need to spend real money someday on a custom .
Custom suits dont have to empty your pocket.
www.socalraceshop.com
1 layer $495
2 layer $895
6 layer $1095
unlimited deisgn choices and unlimited embroidery included in the cost.

mgobaja

Also check Mastercrafts site for Black Friday deals, as well as UPR. UPR will buy suits that are " last years model ", and pass the savings along,so the colors schemes might not be your first choice, but you can save some $$ on some great suits.

Both of those vendors are great supporters of our sports, and also both offer great customer service.

johndjmix

I got the 2 layer from PCI and love it.

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com

PDANK Racing

Something to think about when buying a suit.

SFI Rating
TPP Value Time to 2nd Degree Burn
3.2A/1 6 3 Seconds
3.2A/3 14 7 Seconds
3.2A/5 19 10 Seconds
3.2A/10 38 19 Seconds
3.2A/15 60 30 Seconds
3.2A/20 80 40 Seconds
More info can be found at SFI Specs | SFI Foundation

frostbite36

Capt. Hindsight
Watch this 1998 Japan/Fuji Speedway fiery crash video & you will never get in a race car again without max SFI rating suit, gloves, shoes and helmet! I always wear a double suit and SFI gloves/shoes.

On May 3, 1998, during round 2 of the JGTC at Fuji Speedway, Tetsuya Ota was badly injured. There were 47,000 spectators in attendance for the 67 lap race. At the time of race there was torrential rain and visibility was limited. Following the parade lap, the safety car drove through the starting line at 150 km/h (93 mph) then suddenly slowed down. This caused 910 Racing's Porsche 911 RSR driven by Tomohiko Sunako to aquaplane and strike the rear of Kaoru Hoshino's 911 GT2. Of the GT300 cars, the third car in front of the Porsches (and 22nd on the grid), the BMW M3 of Yasushi Hitotsuyama, behind, managed to avoid the Porsche by driving onto the grass and then back to the circuit, while the Porsche struck a barrier and rested on the grass. A caution flag was waved out.

Seconds later, the Team Ferrari Club of Japan's Ferrari F355 Challenge driven by Ota, slowed down, causing it to aquaplane and swerve left directly onto the Porsche. Both exploded into a fireball on impact. The Ferrari, after hitting the wall, slid across to the other side of the track and rested at the pit stop exit. Another Porsche swerved to avoid Ota.

Luckily, the driver of the blazing Porsche managed to stumble out of his car with a fractured right leg and was quickly attended to by rescue officials.

The RE Amemiya RX-7 driven by Shinichi Yamaji stopped in front of the Ferrari while the other cars drove on. Yamaji used a fire extinguisher from the side of the track to extinguish the fire and then helped to release Ota's safety harness. He did this before race marshals arrived.

Ota was trapped in his car for 1 minute and 30 seconds while exposed to 800-degree temperatures and had to be dragged out of the car by a passing driver who stopped and a safety marshal. The marshal lay him on the ground which caused his semi-melted visor to sag onto his face. Ota attempted to get up, but fell. During his 2nd attempt to get up, another marshal spotted Ota, picked him up, and bundled him into the circuit's minivan, rather than the ambulance.

Ota was taken to a hospital in Gotemba where he was treated for third-degree burns to his face and neck area and minor burns to the rest of the body. He was fortunate to survive. He required plastic surgery to the nasal area as a result of the visor melting on his face. He also suffered from intoxication from the fumes he inhaled from the fire.

As a result of his injuries, Ota was unable thereafter to move his right arm, right shoulder and fingers properly, causing an end to his professional race career.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk