2 San Diego Motorcycle Dealers Fined For Illegal Kits

Baja_Seve

Reaction
http://www.10news.com/news/20653809/detail.html

SAN DIEGO -- Two San Diego-area motorcycle dealers were fined a combined $180,000 from the California Air Resources Board for selling dozens of off-road motorcycles illegally converted into what they called street-legal models, the regulatory agency announced Monday.

GP Motorcycles of San Diego and Moto Forza of Escondido will each pay $90,000 in fines, according to CARB.

CARB investigators following up on a tip received in 2006 confirmed that GP Motorcycles and Moto Forza were selling Husqvarna off-road motorcycles illegally converted to street-legal models.

According to the CARB, many of the bikes were outfitted with so-called "street legal" kits, which are illegal in California.

"Companies that deliberately flout the law are often assessed higher penalties," said Mary Nichols, who heads the CARB board. "Playing by the rules from the start is the most cost-effective, smart business plan any company can follow."

The CARB revoked the registrations for the motorcycles. The owners were told to turn in their license plates and get off-road stickers and plates. California bans a number of motorcycles and scooters that are street-legal in other states.

BGRANT

Reaction
I don't kno whow Moto Forza has stayed in business this long. This could put them out of business.

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
They are legal in wyoming title it first here then take your street legal tags to wherever you want to licence it. Hell i just found out another way to make a buck.:cool:

Random Thoughts Racing

Reaction
I can think of a perfect place for CARB to stick the revoked liscense plates. Heres to hoping that the shops found a legal loophole that will hold up in court.

BajaboundMoto

Reaction
They are legal in wyoming title it first here then take your street legal tags to wherever you want to licence it
Easier said than done here in this great State of CA. I found out the hard way trying to do that.:mad:

dnf736

Reaction
Easier said than done here in this great State of CA. I found out the hard way trying to do that.:mad:
Yep, there is a trigger in the VIN when entered into the CA DMV database.

I like how CARB went guns blazing after two little motorcycle shops that will most likely put them out of buisness yet the San Diego MTS got a <50K fine for not doing periodic smoke testing on their diesel powered transit busses.....

http://www.arb.ca.gov/lispub/rss/displaypost.php?pno=2924

dnf736

Reaction
What about using a Canadian bike?
There was a time when buying MX bikes out of Canada was very popular due to the exchange rate, from what I remember (7ish years ago) the problem was DMV database saw something in the VIN that showed it was from out of the country and wouldnt let you register them even for offroad use, in California at least.

A couple of guys had me assemble their bikes for them and thats what they told me, their bikes were used strictly for MX racing though.

One guy got totally burned on that deal, found his new RM was not eligible for CMC Trans Cal/Golden State Suzuki contingency money because it was a Canada bike. But thats another story.

baja619

Reaction
F#&#king Damn CA and CARB can go smoke fat f#$&king tail pipe!

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
I just realized MotoForza is the shop down the street from My work. Really nice guys. I was wondering how they were getting plates on all those bikes. Bummer.

Total Loss

Reaction
Kali is looking for revenue from any source right now.
Mind your P's and Q's.

Racer277

Reaction
3 years of investigation to bring down a couple of moto license plates.
I don't care what the letter of the law says, the assholes that enforce this stuff need to be held accountable.

M_Solms

Reaction
Another example of why this state is in the shape it is.
Any state run by CARB and the EPA will go broke.

Chase 2

Reaction
Maybe JJ can chime in here about shops getting busted for building too many custom bikes that don't meet EPA standards. Ever notice how on the latest OCC TV shows that bikes all now have mufflers?? There was also something about Shelby trying to build Cobras out of "left over" parts having to meet current standards.

Yes, it sucks that the laws prevent some cool DS bikes from being run. I've been hearing about letters from the DMV asking for plates back for a couple of years now.

tundraman

Reaction
That's a bummer. Right now Cali could use really use the extra money the registration fees would generate. The fact that they were ever outlawed is ridiculous. Carb was playing a numbers game to justify their existence with that one. The amount of emissions that these bikes would contribute to the air is totally insignificant. Hopefully some day we will be able to legally dualsport bikes again.

1fastbean

Rookie
Reaction
I don't want to hijack this thread (to simple a question to start a thread. Did a search but found conflicting years.) but what was the last year of bike that you are able to equip with a street legal kit in Cal? All this unfair action from the state makes me really want to buy a used XR 650r that I have been wanting.

BGRANT

Reaction
One reason I moved out of Cali was all the bullseet. I still hold a GC lic. there but I have it on hold until it is worth doing work there....................probably never. **BAN ME****BAN ME****BAN ME****BAN ME** the Cali government. I bet grey Davis is laughing at the mess Arnie has on his hands right now. Sorry, this is border line purple.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
I don't want to hijack this thread (to simple a question to start a thread. Did a search but found conflicting years.) but what was the last year of bike that you are able to equip with a street legal kit in Cal? All this unfair action from the state makes me really want to buy a used XR 650r that I have been wanting.
The cut off date was in 04, no more conversions after that regardless of the year of the bike.

Kbach66

Reaction
Also, from what I understand this happened in 2006....it just took 3 years of legal battles to determine the fine.