#2 Trophy Truck & Pistol Pete powered by Pfaff Racing Engines

VeryFast

Reaction
Pfaff Racing Engines is proud to announce the sponsorship of the #2 Trophy Truck owned and driven by Pistol Pete Sohren. The #2 Trophy Truck will be powered by Pfaff Engines at all upcoming SCORE and B.I.T.D. events entered.

"We are in our 43rd year of building Championship and Record Breaking engines for the Racing world. We have studied the Offroad Racing Industry and feel our engine packages can provide the reliable power Pistol Pete needs to move the #2 Trophy Truck into the winners circle.".

"Pfaff Racing Engines enters the Offroad Racing Community with focus on the "Elite" Trophy Truck class and to include Class 1, Class 6, Class 7, Class 8 and Class 10.

Pfaff Racing Engines are unique in that all labor including machining, building and dyno tuning is completed in house. There past and present customers include Parnelli Jones, Micky Thompson and the Nextel cup engines for Toyota.

Pfaff Racing Engines performance history has been focused on the Offshore Powerboating industry.

Owner, Paul Pfaff states, "Our business has been built on high horsepower, high RPM V8 engines. Spreading out to the Offroad industry with the large displacement V8 engines and small displacement engines is a natural for us. Our motors customarily run at 7000+ rpms held steady for hours on end with power ranges from 700 horsepower to 1500 horsepower. We look forward to meeting the race teams at the upcoming BITD Vegas to Reno & SCORE Primm 300 and future SCORE and BITD sanctioned events."

Please call or visit our facility in Huntington Beach, CA for a consultation, quote or tour. We look forward to building a winning relationship with the offroad racing industry.

Ask for Paul or Gordy 714-894-7573

5362 System Dr. Huntington Beach, CA 92649

Chase 2

Reaction

Great sewing machines!!!

Offspring

Reaction
We (Helms) ran their motors mid to late 80's. Grand American, GT 1-SCCA. Pulled one off dyno that was so hot we could hardly get it in the truck. 5 hrs later we were in Riverside (RIP). Come on Pete, paint a prop on the back of the TT. We had one. LOL. Congratulations.

Forty1Racing

Reaction
Good to see something fresh at the races, we'll see if it puts pete on top!

RFS Motorsports

Reaction
Congrats Pete!

worcs761

Reaction
I grew up with Big John Nordblad as my mentor. He always spoke very highly of Paul Pfaff and his ability to build fast, strong horse power. I do not know Pistola or Paul, but I know that if John says there great, then there great. John built his own 1000+ twin turbo Chevy motors and Pfaff knows that Boat 6 was always tough competition. Pete, run it hard and put it up wet.

RGFan

Reaction
My Dad just had a short block and some head work done there for his 20 ft Eliminator.....700 hp on pump gas, called a very conservative set up.......Runs like a raped ape..

michael_loomis

Reaction
Just curious of something.. all these example motors are forced induction... something us desert racers cant run.. how does that change the high rpm load?

RGFan

Reaction
Just curious of something.. all these example motors are forced induction... something us desert racers cant run.. how does that change the high rpm load?

700 hp naturally aspirated with my Dad's motor.......Head work up the arse and agressive cam profiles. With a more agressive cam alone, my Dad's motor could see another 60-75 hp, without any more head work or increase in compression. Granted this is a big block I am speaking of. The marine performance engine industry is doing some crazy stuff with normally aspirated motors. Pfaff and DNE among others are building 900 hp Big blocks, normally aspirated motors on pump gas. It is all in the heads and cam.

VeryFast

Reaction

Forced induction increases the load on the motor in way of compression, ultimately resulting in more heat and load on the parts (bearings, rods, crank, etc). Point being forced induction adds much more load to the motor than a normally aspirated engine ever will considering the same RPM range.

Trophy Truck motors run up to 7500 rpm's. Occasionally you will find a motor upwards of 8000rpm's.

Point is: The engines we run in the desert will never see the loads the offshore engines see.

Pfaff engines have been building much larger Cu In displacement engines than our desert engines and running the same RPM's as we do in the desert, but with forced induction. Resulting in much larger loads on the engines. And we can through in the fact the offshore engines are pushing 20,000 lbs. Pfaff's proving ground on the water is much more harsh than our desert.

michael_loomis

Reaction
Awesome.. Having worked in the marine industry most of my life.. I agree with water being an excellent proving ground. Do the N/A motors see much highers temps at those HP numbers? I have always thought boats/yachts etc had an advantage, because they are constantly bringing in cold water to cool with, where as in the desert, the temps will kill a motor.

RGFan

Reaction
Awesome.. Having worked in the marine industry most of my life.. I agree with water being an excellent proving ground. Do the N/A motors see much highers temps at those HP numbers? I have always thought boats/yachts etc had an advantage, because they are constantly bringing in cold water to cool with, where as in the desert, the temps will kill a motor.

The nice thing about marine motors, you usually have 60-80 degree water running through the motors at all times. With the higher rpm motors, you do run some looser bearing clearances to help increase oil flow to the bearing which help keep friction down and ultimately oil temps down. When that is not enough, an oil cooler is usually used. With jet boats, which is the application which I am specifically referring to, you usually have to worry about pushing to much cold water through the motor, along with water pressure so you usually restrict the amount of water running to the motor to find an optimum balance of temp and pressure.

So back to your question, marine motors generally make good hp at around 190-220 oil temp in my experience anyways.

Here is a link to my brother's boat motor dyno session, it was built by DNE in Costa Mesa, not a Pfaff motor, but a competitor. Gives you an idea of what a N/A pump gas marine motor can do. He already has about 150 hours on it with only loosening up the valve springs in the winter.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEN2SJvqoRY"]YouTube - NA 548 Chevrolet by DNE Motorsports[/ame]

michael_loomis

Reaction
Ford, I'm sure...

And just let me throw out there this **Ahem** SHAMELESS plug... Pfaff should look into using Dailey Engineering Roots Style Dry Sump Pumps... If you not already that is.. :D

INI

Dan McMillin's fan club
Reaction
i will DEFIANTLY stand behind my Pfaff Motor...540 with a Whipple 800+HP and Gordon wanted to give me more :) i said Thats plenty and even asked for a bigger pulley to make less HP...

Paul, Gordy and Charlie run a top notch operation...First Class all the way....I met Paul last year and was blown away by his willingness to show me everything...he gave me a personal tour of his shop and IMO the best in the business....
Welcome to the dirt and don't let RDC scare you....

You guys will rise to the top in no time...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc1xlYexPLs"]YouTube[/ame]

Racing Ron

Reaction
Congratulations Pete!! Looking forward to driving the #2 with the new HP!! ;)