2000 F350 Powerstroke

dwink

Hello all! My first post here- hoping to get some ideas for working with my 7.3.

First off- I am not planning to race this truck, rather use it for exploring northern nevada desert terrain. I have a background in SCCA rally (many years ago in a mazda 323 gtx) and want to work with this truck because it is what I have.

I know that with the weight of the diesel, it's not going to be ideal, but thoughts on how to get a small lift on it that will improve wheel travel and higher speed capabilities?

If this is outside of the scope of this forum- also understood. Just looking for some ideas outside of the common huge lift and wheels crowd that is common for the F350's.

Thanks in advance!

jeff

The flat to negative arch front leaf spring packs are not going to do you any favors off-road. They've got to go. Replacing the front leaf springs with coils (or coilovers) is a lot easier than you might think. That allows you to run factory radius arms from a 2005+ truck. Then get a good 2.5" or larger shock that's properly valved for the weight of your F350. You don't need much lift height to run 35" tires so an upgraded 2" or 2.5" lift coil spring (ICON, Carli, etc) will provide a better ride than the stock spring, offer more travel and the small lift height you are looking for.

Or.... you can retain the leaf springs and call Deaver or Atlas. The downside is in order to get the leaf spring arch you need for the pack to work better you have to either increase the ride height quite a bit OR come up with a way to move the spring under the axle. That swap is probably harder than conversion to coils / radius arms.

Aloha

Last edited:

Bajaryan

Hi Jeff, I have the same issue as dwink . I have a 1990 f 350 4x4 crew cab with a 460 . Is that coil over fix the same thing you would recommend for my truck. I'm already running 35s and my leaf springs are flat to negative. Thanks ... Steve

JDDurfey

I hope to purchase a suspension package for my Dodge from Carli in the next year or so. I just looked and they don't offer anything for the leaf sprung Fords.

I suggest you find a truck in a junk yard with all the 05 or newer suspension you can get. Or find a donor truck to purchase and convert to coil springs in the front. Once you do that there are many many options. I have heard nothing but good about Carli Suspension so that would be an option once you have the pieces to make the mod.

jeff

Hi Jeff, I have the same issue as dwink . I have a 1990 f 350 4x4 crew cab with a 460 . Is that coil over fix the same thing you would recommend for my truck. I'm already running 35s and my leaf springs are flat to negative. Thanks ... Steve
Steve - The 1999.5 and up trucks are pretty easy to convert to a radius arm and coil spring setup using factory FORD parts from the junk yard. On the earlier trucks like yours that's a whole lot more difficult as it requires fabrication o'plenty.

Aloha