• Forum membership has its advantages....

2001 F150 long travel build/ abs brake controller?

Grizzly1904

I am building a '01 Ford F150. I believe this part is the ABS brake controller and module or something along those lines. Either way, this part is mounted to the front upper A-arm mount location on the frame. I want to eliminate the ABS brake controller and module all together since it is in the way of where I want to mount my shock hoop/engine cage. Has any one done this before? Can I just remove it and tie back into my master cylinder brake lines with new extended lines? Anyone with any insight on this matter, it would be awesome!
P.S. I have photos but I'm new to this forum and don't know how to upload pics apparently

atomicjoe23

Why get rid of the ABS, unless it's a race-only rig. . .even then though. . .

. . .why not just relocate the ABS controller?

Right now in the hot-rod world (which I know is not the same as the off-road world) the trend is to upgrade to late-model ABS. . .I would not be surprised to see the same thing happening in the off-road world in a couple of years.

atomicjoe23

I wasn't referring to the ABS portion in and of itself, but the ABS system is used extensively in traction control situations. . .so it could be a benefit for a 4WD/AWD off-road vehicle. . .think active torque shifting. . .there is at least one 4WD Trophy Truck out there right now.

desertspeed

I am building a '01 Ford F150. I believe this part is the ABS brake controller and module or something along those lines. Either way, this part is mounted to the front upper A-arm mount location on the frame. I want to eliminate the ABS brake controller and module all together since it is in the way of where I want to mount my shock hoop/engine cage. Has any one done this before? Can I just remove it and tie back into my master cylinder brake lines with new extended lines? Anyone with any insight on this matter, it would be awesome!
P.S. I have photos but I'm new to this forum and don't know how to upload pics apparently
Yes you can just get rid of it and run new brake lines. You may want to add in a proportioning valve to control the strength of the front vs rear brakes.

f1sleepy

I wasn't referring to the ABS portion in and of itself, but the ABS system is used extensively in traction control situations. . .so it could be a benefit for a 4WD/AWD off-road vehicle. . .think active torque shifting. . .there is at least one 4WD Trophy Truck out there right now.
That's all well and good, but has nothing to do with a 2001 f150 where the abs controller is used solely for abs braking. So, as per the OP's question, ditch the controller because it's useless in the dirt. Add in the fact that the OP will likely be running 35 or 37" tires, then it will quickly become apparent that the stock brakes will be hard pressed to lock up the wheels anyway, so ABS is hardly worth while on the street either.