2003 Chevy Prerunner look-a-like

Breth

Reaction
Hi guys!

Im from switzerland and a big fan since years from prerunners.
Now the times is comming where i wanna buy a chevy silverado 1500 4x4.
But it shoud look like a prerunner. In switzerland any modifications on the car (exept wheels and some other little things) are not legal. So sadly i cant put a long travel suspension on or somthing. Anyway we have no dessert in switzerland and drive the car offroad is also not legal! Pretty bad conditions for a prerunner!
So but i will have that agressiv style on my daily driver.

My modification plans are:

-fiberglass fenders and bedsite
-wheels
-cage on the bed (also with some suports to transporting my motocross-bike and the whole other stuff when i go to a race (fuel-can, back-up wheels, etc.)
-maybe a light-rack on front of the roof
-and a lift-kit when necessery

So my questions are:

-What size of wheels and tires i shoud use?
I was thinking to use 17x8 or 17x9 on 315/70-17 (35x12,5x17)

-And what avalible backspacing i shoud use to get the wide look oin the stock suspension, or do i maybe need some wheelspacer in the front? I wanna use the fiberworks fenders and i think there are 4" or 6" wider than stock...

-How much higher is a "normal" classic prerunner-chevy than stock? I know its a stupid question because they have a lot of SAG. But when the car stand on the street...

-Do i need a 4" suspension-lift or can i use a 3" bodylift? the suspensionlift is a bit complicate becuase its also not legal in switzerland... But i would do it when 3" body is to low... and remeber its a 4x4!

-Last question: Bedcage, frontbumper and light-rack on the roof, what diameter size are the tubes??

Hopley sombody can answer my questions...

I know that whole thing maybe suonds pretty stupid for you real prerunner-guys, but its the only way to make my dream come true to ride a real cool truck!

BTW the truck should look like the one i posted in the pic below!

Best regards Sascha

Attachments

ErikShallbetter

Reaction
Sascha,

As far as the truck goes. I think you are on track with the tire and wheel selection. Good wheel and tire size. You can usually level out the stance of a stock vehicle with torsion bars by simply putting additional torque on them. Like 1.5-2 inches. It will make the ride a little rougher, but it is a truck, and your pretty limited on options. As for glass, I would not go more than 3-4" flare since you can not do much to suspension. Look for glass with flare and a raised wheel well. That alone might give you clearance for 35's on the street thus eliminating the need for body/suspension lifts.

Bed cage and bumper should be 1.75 O.D. in my opinion, and light bar should be 1.25 O.D.

Good Luck with the truck!

Erik

baja619

Reaction
Cool deal Sascha, You can contact me if you have any questions about what will work and so on.

We are here to help you get what you are looking for and what is right for your project.

micah@fiberwerx.com

Breth

Reaction
About the wheels, do someone knows what backspacing i shoud take to get the wheels so wide as i can because the stock suspension is so small, or shoud i install some wheelspacers in the front? I would like to go so wide as possible.
About the suspension: I dont like the idea with tighten the torrison-bars, i wanna keep the stock suspension-comfort. But anyway, with 1,5"-2" higher in the front i dont think so that its the same high as the 3 Trucks on the pix i got in the first post, or is that wrong? I wold prefer a 4" liftkit, than tighten the torrsionbars. But i dont know if then the truck is to high to got that prerunnerstyle...?!? I got a pic of a stock truck who shows what i mean with maybe the stock high is to low.

At baja 619:

Yeah i will contact you so far as i know what i exactly want, becuase i dont got the car in the moment (i will it buy in the states over ebay.com, got some americancarsimport-contacts here in switzerland), but i dont know in the moment if i shoud take a extendet-cap or a crew-cap. Thats what i have to know first because the crew-bedsites are shorter than the extented-cap ones, right?!?!?

Other question: Do sombody knows what kind of wheels the black truck on the pic got? I wanna get some bedlocks or fake-bedlocks, somthing who looks close to those ones on the pix on the first post.

Best regards Sascha

Attachments

michael_loomis

Reaction
Look like Robby Gordon wheels to me...

Breth

Reaction
So the robby gordon`s are a bit to expencive for me. But i saw the Mickey Thompson classic lock. They are not the same like on the picture, but look also pretty cool with the bedlock-ring on... And they are only 218 Dollars the piece in 17x9" on 6-5.5 but i dont know about the ET and Backspacing. They are 4.1/2" backspacing and have -12 offset. I dont know if they comming out wide enought how i like it to get the tires wide enough to use the fiberglassfenders.

slcpunk74

Reaction
get whatever wheels you think look good/ what fits your budget then if you need to go wider(within reason) you can get wheel spacers. Just dont expect to run a wheel with 3"bs and a 2" wheel spacer.

Breth

Reaction
Yeah in know taht wheelspacers are available. But i think those ones are a bit dangerous, what when a wheel somming off on the higway!?! I sink it would be more safe to run wheels as wide i can get theme! So the most standard LT kits are around 3" wider per side. So i think a 3" wheelspacer is too wide!?!?

But the problem with the wheels is, that they mostly only have standart ET`s, do sombody know where i can get some extra wide Et`s in the wheels?

Regards

PS: Sorry about the very bad english!

throwinrox

Reaction
Sascha, don't sweat your english, we all know what you are saying. I really like the look of the red truck you posted. I applaud you for doing something different than what is normal where you are from. I though the laws here in California sucked but you win hands down.

My only recommendation for you is to forget the body lift idea. They are ugly, sometimes unsafe and the Chevys show too much frame already. Good Luck, Don

Breth

Reaction
Thanx about your nice words for my projectideas.
Yeah that with the bodylift i was thinking the same thing how you said! The other option would be to give more torque on the torsionbars like Erik said in the post on top. That wold be enought i think.... But i love the stock suspension-feeling on the road. I dont wanna make the suspension to hard. But the other thing is that i dont know how much harder the ridingfeeling really is.

throwinrox

Reaction
It only takes a few minutes to crank the torsions. Just jack up the front to remove the tension, put it on jack stands (DUH) then count how many turns you do to the first side and crank the other side the same # of turns. Then drive it around and see if the ride is too harsh. You can always return it to stock by cranking them back. I wrote the how many turns i did right on the bar so I wouldn't forget. I also removed the stock block in the rear to level the truck out a little better. Just remember you may need to get it aligned if you decide to leave them adjusted.

throwinrox

Reaction
My truck is 4 wheel drive with the torsions cranked and the stock rear block removed, no lift kit. I have BFG AT's 285/75/16 on 16X8 Eagle alloys.

Breth

Reaction
Would i get the truck higher in the front only with more torque on the torisions than your one?

throwinrox

Reaction
Would i get the truck higher in the front only with more torque on the torisions than your one?
My stock torsions are maxed out. You can get other keys that are indexed differently to a get a little more than mine and they would probably ride better. There are kits out there for a couple hundred bucks or you can get Ford keys that do the same thing.

Breth

Reaction
AH, i was thinking you have already those keys under you truck. I saw some keys where you can lift the truck around 2". But i dont know if the suspension feels to hard then and the riding-comfort goes away....

throwinrox

Reaction
If they are re-indexed keys then the ride should be close to stock, only real difference is that you will be closer to the lower bump stops so you won't have as much droop.