2003 JeepSpeed Challenge

elcaprerunner

Reaction
I am not a JeepSpeed race, but I am a big fan of them and plan on building a prerunner similar to JeepSpeed. Anyways, I was looking in December issue ( borrowed from a friend) of Dusty Times and there was the JeepSpeed update in there. Down in the bottom right corner they show the "2003 American Racing JeepSpeed Challenge" series, it is a six race series with this schedule...
Feb 1- MDR Wild Wash 250
April 5- MDR Mojave 250
May 30- SCORE Baja 500
June 27- BITD Vegas to Reno
Aug-9- MDR California 200
Sep 27- MDR Lucerne 300
So does this mean that BITD and SCORE will have a JeepSpeed class now? At all the races or just the ones listed in that schedule? And, the MDR JeepSpeed series and the JeepSpeed challenge are separate cahmpionship points series? I think this is great because I think it will open many new doors for JeepSpeed and the class will just get bigger and bigger and get more sponsors, and maybe a new class- "JeepSpeed Open", what would everybody think of that?... Probably won't happen because of what the actual concept of JeepSpeed is, but it would still be cool.

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiasts

PLS

Reaction
I think the "JeepSpeed Open" is sort of what they are trying to do now. The 1700 class is for the guys that want to spend what it takes to go as fast as possible, and the 1750 guys want to stay on a budget. I think the 1750 ones are more what the original idea was. I don't race in the class, so I could be way off, this is just how it was explained to me.
Pete= BOYD RACING

Bryan_D

Reaction
Usually when they run in the other classes it is a class 3 when they run the baja. They still do really well with what we have to work with. The open class like you talked about would make things a little to open. If you were to go to a dry sump motor you can get several more inches of front travel but the price of the motor just went up dramastically. Also you would have the curt leduc with his class 8 cherokee that he used to run that was amazing and still is. Actually Gavin Skilton runs it occasionaly in the MDR now and it still hauls. The open class would open it up to much and with not having a true frame the safety issue would come into effect fairly quickly. I am all for seeing jeepspeed growing and have tried to be as involved as possible for the last year and a half. elca how is your rig coming?

Jeep this Oval Boys

Tony_Barraza

Reaction
For all interested-

OR visit <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jeepspeed.com>www.jeepspeed.com</A>

Tony B.

"Get Creative!"

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Here's a jeep for you!

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

Bryan_D

Reaction
Thats the grand cherokee for you but there is a little cherokee that LeDuc raced before that that is still running. Tony the flyer that is shown did you do? It is nice to see that certain companies are starting to back JS more. Skyjacker was backing them alot more last season and was giving a killer discount and end of year money. There are a lot of people still building these things and as long as the rules dont get too out of wack the class should continue to grow. I think right now there is over 40 cars that are being built or already completed. They are actually talking about makinga kit that all you will need is the car. Currie, T&Js in orange, CA are I believe. I know for a fact that T&Js already makes a kit that has everything from bil 9100s to a cell and limit straps. Then they also have a prerun kit that is a couple steps down. Its like Protruck with the stipulations but we have BFG and it costs a ton less. Some of the Pro-class guys have around 40-55 in there rigs that are completely at the edge of the rules and there are some that you can race sportsman for around 15-20 if you cannot do any of the fab stuff yourself. This is including the cost of the vehicle itself. It is a ton of fun and there are many options as far as 2 or 4x4 and 2 or 4dr all in the same class.

Jeep this Oval Boys

Jack

Reaction
That was the scedual they were trying to push, but was voted down by yhe racers. If you go to yhe Jeepspeed web site, you will see the new scedual. It will be only MDR with an optional to race the Baja 500 in class three, and no there will not be a Jeepspeed only class with BITD.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Why cant you race a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Seems like it would be at a disadvantage due to the higher initial cost, but its still a Jeep Cherokee. Not saying that the one pictured would be fair to race, but I dont see whay somebody couldnt build a Grand Cherokee.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

toddz

Reaction
Why cant you race a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Seems like it would be at a disadvantage due to the higher initial cost, but its still a Jeep Cherokee. Not saying that the one pictured would be fair to race, but I dont see whay somebody couldnt build a Grand Cherokee.

Kris

I think the cost issue is why they limit it strictly to the XJ's. I think with coils on the rear of the ZJ, people would be more inclined to spend big bucks on a revised link suspension, coilovers, etc.

Clive Skilton has a ZJ that he's raced in Class 3 from time to time. I remember seeing it at Primm a few years ago.

There are 3-4 JeepSpeed trucks for sale in the Dusty Times I got yesterday. It looks like maybe Dave Turner is cleaning house?

Todd Z.

martininsocal

Reaction
The rules for jeepspeed make those vehicles good for only jeepspeed races. Technically, the 1700 series jeeps aren't legal for class 3 because they allow the use of a non-stock as provided front axle. With the allowing of the aftermaket 9inch front ends from Currie, etc...They would be illegal in class 3. Originally, the sportsman class would have fit into stock mini with SCORE as long as you didn't run the glass front fenders, but then they opened up the rules more than originally intended, so they are kinda in between.

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

BeastlyFord

Reaction
plus with the Grand Cherokee you would be able to run with a V8 since you can only use engines that originally came in the vehicle from the factory. They would probably spank all of the regular Cherokees who would be limited to the 4.0 six cylinder or less. But you would be racing in style with the heated leather seats and real wood dash trim!

If it doesn't fit, force it; if it breaks, it needed replacement anyway

elcaprerunner

Reaction
So if a Cherokee ( XJ) does not qualify to race in class 3 because of all the aftermarket parts that aren't allowed in calss 3, would a Cherokee qualify to race 7s in SCORE or BITD? Because it is midsized, not sure about engine deisplacement though, maybe 7sx. Or would it not be able to race 7s because it is an SUV?

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiasts

martininsocal

Reaction
It would not qualify for 7s if the front axle was not the original facory model from that vehicle. The one thing jeepspeed should have made mandatory was the use of the factory front axle, then they would be legal for 3 or 7s.

If your gonna go, go BIG

JasonHutter

Reaction
Why would there be a ruling on the front axle and not the rear axle. Everyone in 7s runs a Ford 9" for the rear axle.

Jason

martininsocal

Reaction
the rule books call for the factory supplied front axle, while the rear is open to any automotive production style rear housing. I don't make the rules. I just try to build by them.

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

Bryan_D

Reaction
I am running a factory dana 30 in the front and it has proven durable for me in what I have done with it. The only problem would be obviously durability. There was a guy who won the last race with JS that had stock front and rear housings with trusses and he won the pro class. They are durable but then some of the guys run the 2wd and the durability goes up. That is why I think they allowed for the change in the front housing. Factory rears ranged from a dana 35 to a chrysler 8 1/4 to a dana 44 in the 87 cherokees so you can use any of those rearends in the stock class as long as they cam factory from the 1984-2001 production years. Some things have changed because John Kearny from AJAX Auto and his driver Billy Bunch ran class three in the Baja as well did the Curries. How would they have gotten around that since they have modified fronts?

Jeep this Oval Boys

martininsocal

Reaction
I don't know how unless they were allowed to run due to it being the first jeepspeeders running. I know the rules state it must be the factory front end. Depending on set-up, they could do what the 7s guys do and only run in 2wd most of the time, only using the 4wd when needed. I have heard that the D44 will hold up to abuse and so will the 8 3/4" but that the 35 is junk. Any jeepspeeder running the factory front will have no problems complying with class 3 rules, but the ones running the 9" could face a protest from the other class 3 entrants. I think that is how SCORE does it, if no one says anything, anything goes...

If your gonna go, go BIG

IDRA_CRB

Reaction
From the SCORE rulebook for Class 3:

Rear differential is open but must remain stock concept. Gear ratios, carriers, axles and floating hubs are optional.

Front differential must be a production automotive type but axle tubes may be replaced.

Reese - Rulebook Owner

elcaprerunner

Reaction
Does this mean if you raced in 7s you could gusset the stock axle just like they plate and gusset and truss stock front suspension and I-beam/A-arm 7s truck? Would it be allowed to gusset the front factory axle on the Jeep? Maybe even widen it a little so it could be the maximum track width allowed for 7s? Assuming you can widen a solid 4WD ( just for reference) axle, let alone a factory one. ( but we know what happened at Laughlin with SCORE and the 7s rule of widening the front)

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiasts<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by elcaprerunner on 02/27/03 08:01 PM (server time).</FONT></P>