2003 Long Travel Tacoma Double Cab

doyouquaxu

Reaction
I don't post on this forum much, but I used to be pretty active on dezertrangers and many other forums. I'm no stranger to long travel trucks, having owned one mid travel and one long travel Ranger plus working on many others in my short time.

My first ranger was a 2005 XLT bought stock in 2007 with just over 36k miles on it. eventually ended up with a BTF mid travel kit in the front with a Radflo 2.0 shock, Deaver f-23 leaf springs, and the first BTF cantilever kit using King shocks. The truck was rolled by the guy I sold it to, fixed, and is now painted red and owned by someone who "owns" one of those Ranger Instagram pages.

My second was a 2001 XLT built with a BMS long travel kit using their front 2.0 race hubs, King coilovers and bump stops, a Giant 64 spring kit with King Bypasses. Last I heard, this truck got rear ended while parked on a street.

This is the day I picked up just over a year ago. Its a 2003 Tacoma double cab. It has a 5vzfe with 55k original miles, an automatic transmission, and j-shift transfer case. The truck is fully caged from front to rear using mostly 4130. From my understanding, the truck parked and built over a 7-ish year period and then sold. The guy I bought it from wired and plumbed the truck enough to be DD worthy in a week.

The front suspension of the truck is an ESB lower control arm, modified stock 2wd Prerunner spindle, and a custom J-arm upper control arm that I believe mounts in the stock location.The stock spindle has been modified to accept a bolt for the lower arm uniball, different mounting location for the outer steering heim joint, and an upper gusset creatively made from a piece of tube. I completed a Tundra brake upgrade since buying the truck. It uses King 2.5x12" prerunner coilovers and race series bypasses.

The rear end is from a Tundra, with unknown gearing and possibly a limited slip differential. It has Deaver f67 leaf springs with extended shackles, King 2.5x16 bypass shocks, and a 32 gallon fuel cell mounted behind the axle with the spare tire over it.

doyouquaxu

Reaction
Since I bought the truck, I've been slowly working at getting it looking prettier. I had the front and rear bumpers built by an old coworker of the shop we used to work at, Brandon at Dynamic Metalwerx. He also mounted my rear Rigid 30" race light bar, and a back up camera that I use as a rear view mirror.

I bought 5 17" Raceline non-beadlock rims off of Darren Parson's daily driver, and wrapped them in 315/75/17 Treadwright tires. Love the way they look on the truck.

Middle of May last year the rear axle seals developed a leak and coated my rear drums with oil. I had the whole axle resealed and new brakes done by a shop. Took the truck out to Barstow with a few friends who own Raptors and went all over the place.

Some time around July 2015 I found that the axle was puking oil all over the brakes again. Decided enough was enough and got a Camburg 3.5" rear end made for me.

I picked up a Nodular iron 3rd member off e-bay with 3.25" bearings, and a used Nascar Detroit Locker for 35 spline axles.

I picked up a set of Trail Gear 6 lug Dana 60 unit hubs and mounting pockets, as well as 5.29 ratio Yukon gears from Poly Performance. I went with the unit hubs for several reasons. Their strength, being a fully sealed unit, and a cheaper alternative to a race style floater hub is exactly what I am looking for with this axle build.

A short while later, Poly Performance sent me a box with a master build kit, Daytona pinion support, Trail Gear axle seals, and Trail Gear pinion flange to adapt to my current drive shaft.

After careful consideration and wanton disregard for my bank account, I decided the most logical decision is to 4-link the truck with the new axle.
Kellan of Envy Motorsports got me squared away with 2.5x14" King prerunner series coilovers with springs

First, Kevin 'Dez' Knight at Nexgen Offroad got me a box of 6 1.25" heims, misalignments and bungs for the links.

The links were designed by my friend Max originally for another build of a 2008 Tacoma double cab. They use a 1" uniball front pivot, 1.25" heim rear pivot, and are 51" long. Shocks mount extremely close to the axle which is perfect for me. "Links are for chains."

More from Poly Performance, under frame lower link mounts and front pivot 1" uniballs.

Dez got me another box from Nexgen containing a Jaz "Jeepspeed" 32 gallon fuel cell. Plan is to mount this directly behind the cab.

Don Knight, Dez's dad, built my 3rd member for me with an incredible 24 hour turn around.

Christmas was good to me. Got a lot of miscellaneous small things to help increase my parts pile. 2 Deka ext-20l batteries w/ boxes, corner lights, and some wiring odds and ends.

Last box to arrive contained the Trail Gear rear brake kit from Poly Performance.

doyouquaxu

Reaction
Through a fellow off roader's misfortune, I profited. Another Tacoma owner rolled his truck and decided to improve his drivetrain considerably. I managed to pick up his Toyota front diff already geared for 5.29, front drive shaft, and 2 spare stock steering racks for a good deal.

Following an online tutorial, I removed the ADD electronic components and locked the diff so it is constantly engaged.

The truck was originally 4x4, and retained the transfer case but no front driveline components. When I first got the truck, I intended to source a stock 4x4 spindle and modify it to work with the current kit and 4x4 bits. However, due to the lower uniball, that won't work. My intentions after the rear suspension upgrades is to buy Solo Motorsport's XLT long travel 4x4 kit that is currently under development for this generation Tacoma. 17-19" of 4x4 travel from bolt on a arms is the kitten's mittens.

That's pretty much where things sit currently. The truck should hopefully be going in to the shop in the next week or two to get the rear suspension banged out.

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Super rad build, please keep this thread updated.

Reaction
Thanks for all the photos! Let us know how those tires perform, too.

y2kbaja

Reaction
I bought two Treadwright tires for my truck due to several reasons. I run Goodyear MT-R's and they weren't scheduled to be produced until April. Plus the T/W's were 1/3 the cost. I had them mounted on the rear and my truck was all over the road. It felt like I was towing a trailer with negative tongue weight. My alignment was also set and dead nuts good. I rotated the tires to the front, and my newer Goodyears to the rear and it's much better. I doubt I will buy Treadwrights again. At least I won't put them on the back. I haven't taken them off road yet.

doyouquaxu

Reaction
Super rad build, please keep this thread updated.
Thanks, will do. I'm excited to get the rear end completed and will post as often as I can.

So far so good! For the price I have zero complaints with them. I've done a few Barstow trips and occasional daily driving with them and they still look new, probably 1500 miles on them now. The rubber they use seems like a softer compound than a BFG or Grabber. Treadwright claims they're 'pre balanced,' but I used the air soft BB method and I'm good to go. I did have a shake at first, rotated the tires and it's gone away. For a truck that's primary purpose is off road, I think they're well worth the money.

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
Cant wait to see the front end done, great build

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

doyouquaxu

Reaction
3.0x 16 Kuster rear bypasses and a 37" tire for mock up. Rear end is at Currie getting cut to length and the ends welded on.

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Start throwing that thing together. I have been parts collecting for months and its little stuff. You must be dying to get all this mounted.

doyouquaxu

Reaction
Start throwing that thing together. I have been parts collecting for months and its little stuff. You must be dying to get all this mounted.
I definitely am. Luckily I've been really busy at work these past 3 months, and have 3 more months till things cool off. But it sucks seeing the parts pile grow with no other real progress to show. That should all change soon.

doyouquaxu

Reaction
Besides brake lines and limit straps, I believe I now have all the hard parts necessary for my 4 link. Tommy at Poly Performance sent me Trail Gear 35 spline axles and drive slugs for my unit hubs. Ordered yesterday and on my door today.

doyouquaxu

Reaction
Here we go.

1 hour exactly later

A short time after that

Officially have some F67 for sale, a tundra axle that leaks oil, and a 32 gallon Jaz fuel cell

doyouquaxu

Reaction
Slow progress is still progress, although it doesn't seem like it in pictures. The tubes out of the cab are all cut back and cleaned up, the frame is cut back and cleaned, and the leaf mounts on the frame are cut off and cleaned up. Major pain in the a$$ that was.

doyouquaxu

Reaction
Are the pics in previous posts not working, or is it just me?

Sold the sway aways and got some 3.0x14 5 tube Kings thanks to Mark at King.

And mocked up the upper link mounts. Progress is unfortunately much slower than originally expected.

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Are the pics in previous posts not working, or is it just me?

Sold the sway aways and got some 3.0x14 5 tube Kings thanks to Mark at King.

And mocked up the upper link mounts. Progress is unfortunately much slower than originally expected.
Pics look good to me. Keep the updates coming.