2004 chevy 5.3 liter build?

Reaction
I understand the 5.3 responds well to a cam change and a little head work.

heineken4menotu

Reaction
I was trying to get some horses out of it by trying to spend as little as possible:rolleyes:but aren't we all. The motor is in my truck and I'm gonna use it for my dd/weekend toy.

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Slap a set of AFR or comparable heads, cam, valve springs, maybe some new push rods and lifters and a computer tune and it should be pretty powerful.

dirtdudeaz

Reaction
I have a 5.3 in my truck. And I am in a similar boat...

Does it have exhaust at all? Is it lifted have big tires or what? What kind of driving do you do on/off road? How much do you want to spend?

Put a full exhaust on it, headers/cat, muffler. Put an intake on it. Get a custom dyno tune, i took my truck to a shop called Pro Dyno, ask for Charles he's a great guy and knows his stuff.
You could also do a cam and stall converter. Depending on the questions above I could reccommend a cam from what I have been told and researched.
You could also do forced induction either a turbo or blower, also based on the questions above.
Also as mentioned above, new heads and a ported throttle body.

The stock drivetrain could handle exhaust, intake, tune; when you get a cam you might need to upgrade depending on the cam. And if you get the FI you would definately need to upgrade the transmission. I know a lot of guys use finish line transmissions, or if you know someone local that could do it (pro dyno probably does).

Combz08

Reaction
I did a set of Dynatech headers which are vette headers and a full dyno tune in my 08 6.0 and its a world of difference

dirtdudeaz

Reaction
+1 on the dynatechs though. Thats what I have. They aren't just made just for corvettes. They are made to work well with the LS type engines in trucks and SUV's too.

They are a little pricey but well worth the sound and HP you get out of them

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
I have done the cam heads headers etc NOTHING compairs to a Magnacharger the best dam $3800 I have ever spent. Best of all you can pull it off when you sell and put it on your next ride mine has been on 3 trucks Has over 300000 miles just change the oil.

slowtowpig

Reaction
5.3s are great motors to start out with, i have one for my 59 chevy truck and its tune with a ls1 hot cam.

have you thought about gears?