2004 CRF 450 R starting problems

gcddarren

so when i kick start my bike it wont start, but when i bump start it runs fine. any suggestions? tried the carb 3 times, and checked the valves. and the cdi works, we tried it on another bike.

86F-onefifty

Hit the gym til you can kick it like a man. haha just kiddin dude

New plug, fresh gas, and clean the air filter?

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Hit the gym til you can kick it like a man. haha just kiddin dude

New plug, fresh gas, and clean the air filter?
jajaja

When was the last time you rode it?
How often do you go ride?
Is the bike getting spark at the plug?

The carb might be clogged up.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
have the jets sized...gas now adays sucks. If any left in the bowl your jets get coated with a rock hard coating no carb cleaner will clean. Pull them all out, buy the appropriate drill sizes and bring them to size. This even goes for brand new jets.

Most of the time its a valve issue. What were your clearances? Decom clearance?

SnowFarmer

One thing to check, the play in the throttle. If the throttle cable is tight, it might be pouring gas into the carb. It would start under bumping but not kicking.

gcddarren

the whole story is its a friends bike, worked fine, ran it out of gas. he needed gas so put 2 stroke gas in to limp back. wouldnt start. has not been able to start since. only bump.

still wont start.... ok, wouldnt there be spark at the plug if is running when you bump. the carb is cleaned. the valves were checked and matched what the manual said. and it is fresh gas.

Dumfast

What do you mean by tried the carb 3 times?...Did you remove and clean the pilot jet?..Its a very small hole there and had a friends bike do this exact thing until the pilot was completly clean..Messed with the fuel screw at all?..A very small adjustment makes a BIG difference in the way my 02 starts....Sure sounds like carb pilot circuit to me

Chase 2

Clean the carb, adjust the valves, and put a new plug in it. When the CRF valves start to go, they will go really, really fast and hard starting is a typical symptom. When they go, the intake valves tighten up and it's not uncommon to see the gap go to zero in one ride. You can adjust then and get it to run but once the coating is worn off you'll need to do a valve job very soon.

worcs761

One thing to check, the play in the throttle. If the throttle cable is tight, it might be pouring gas into the carb. It would start under bumping but not kicking.
This thought is one I think most riders would never think of.....If this is not his problem, one day it might be someone else and may be mine. I'll stick it in my back pocket.

troyharper

DA Meatball
Intake VALVES!

Clean the carb, adjust the valves, and put a new plug in it. When the CRF valves start to go, they will go really, really fast and hard starting is a typical symptom. When they go, the intake valves tighten up and it's not uncommon to see the gap go to zero in one ride. You can adjust then and get it to run but once the coating is worn off you'll need to do a valve job very soon.

^^^ What he said! ^^^