2006 Honda XR650R question

bean dip

I have a friend that got hurt and wants to sell his 06' XR650R. It has been sitting for 2 years and has less than 200 miles on it. Its bone stock and looks like it just came off the showroom floor, is it worth buying it from him? he said he would sell it to ME for $2000.00 Ive riden Hondas for a long time but never an XR. Any XR owners out there?

motoman29

that is a great deal.

if I didn't already have one, I'd buy it!

do the footpeg mod, uncork it, do the suspension and ride it!!:D

Total Loss

Great deal.
Mine is waiting for 1 more race. And it is an 01.
If you do buy it- agreed on draining the tank and cleaning the carb.
I would just buy the power up kit and up the pilot.
New jets will be good.
Also- pull and grease the head bearings and swingarm and rear pivit bearings.
They are almost dry from the factory and hope they are not seized. (You may have to buy some new parts if they are bad).
Perfect long distance and Baja bike.
Good luck.

bean dip

The last time he rode it, he rode it dry and never put more fuel in it. We put like 1/8 of a gollon in it and it fired up right away. Its been sitting for 2 years.

fordnut

I have an 02 and love it. Sounds like a great buy! I'm sure he did it already, but make sure you do the power up kit to it. Stock the bike is a turd, do the power up and it moves! X2 on the grease, my head bearings went bad the first year because I didn't repack them. Here is a good website.

http://www.xr650r.us/

bean dip

that is a great deal.

if I didn't already have one, I'd buy it!

do the footpeg mod, uncork it, do the suspension and ride it!!:D
Great deal.
Mine is waiting for 1 more race. And it is an 01.
If you do buy it- agreed on draining the tank and cleaning the carb.
I would just buy the power up kit and up the pilot.
New jets will be good.
Also- pull and grease the head bearings and swingarm and rear pivit bearings.
They are almost dry from the factory and hope they are not seized. (You may have to buy some new parts if they are bad).
Perfect long distance and Baja bike.
Good luck.
What are the Mods that you guys are talking about, More info Please.

troyharper

DA Meatball
& removing the snorkel on the air box, cut the side plate too. 36hp stock 50+hp after un corking!
ps pick up the 4 carb bowl screws @ home depot ,get the allen head type.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
& removing the snorkel on the air box, cut the side plate too. 36hp stock 50+hp after un corking!
ps pick up the 4 carb bowl screws @ home depot ,get the allen head type.
Intake manifold too right? I recall replacing that as it was choked off.

Isnt the 50Hp is the HRC power up kit claimed power but that also included a piston and cam...

I did 190 miles on mine today getting ready for b1k prerun. Most reliable and forgiving bike out there.

troyharper

DA Meatball
Intake manifold too right? I recall replacing that as it was choked off.

Isnt the 50Hp is the HRC power up kit claimed power but that also included a piston and cam...

I did 190 miles on mine today getting ready for b1k prerun. Most reliable and forgiving bike out there.
stock mainfold, piston cam etc. i got my info from johnny c aka JCR racing.

UOURacing

Buy it and never look back!! These are cool bikes! I own a 2000 XR650R and a 1998 XR400R. Google The Pig Pen there is a great site that has all of the mods mentioned and a special "achilles heel" link that goes through all of the bugs the BRP is subject to. I got mine on ebay and the owner was very meticulous and had gone down the Al Baker's XR's only "ultimate XR650R list" and had most all of the suggested stuff done to it. Some stuff that I did included: losing the Michellin Serac D/S tires and putting on some Maxxis IT's, losing the mikuni pumper carb and putting on the stock Keihin (pumper vs stock seems to be very contrversial) the pumper made mine very unreliable to the point of almost selling it until a friend talked me into changing back to the stock carb and giving it another chance. I'm glad I did, because it is as dependable as an XR is now!!

Get your suspension dialed in for you. Then go have a blast! Mine is surprisingly easy to ride in the woods and it does so many things well that it really isn't supposed to. It's like the meanest linebacker in the NFL crossed with a Russian balerina!! Let us know if you buy it and what you think about it!

troyharper

DA Meatball
How much are we talking about?
two jets 180/68s $10.00, All the other stuff is DIY. The manifold can be done with a dremel or die grinder.