• Forum membership has its advantages....

2006 KTM 560 SMR

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
One of the filthy rich & famous inhabitants of the greater Jackson hole area has one of these things he'd Sell me for $5000.00 it's brand new 262 miles and a virgin meaning it has never been dropped, I know it's priced way over retail price I'll pay it. My concern is why did KTM quit building it? Everybody I talk to says it's the greatest engine ever made Yada Yada Yada. That and my drivers licence (loosing it) are my concern, so let's hear it!

PBR

I've have and have had a few KTM SM bikes. There are a lot of people who talk about these 560s as holy grail bikes, but the problem here in CA is that you couldn't make them street legal (at least not by the walking into the DMV way).

It came with lots of great go fast parts from the factory along with a very reliable engine. But I never searched one out because of the lack of plate issue.

Also for street use the small amount of oil makes for very frequent changes, that's why a lot of people went for the SMC 690. Less maintenance overall.

I have an '08 530 EXC dressed in SM gear, it's way more fun to ride than the '09 690 SMC I used to have. But for longer rides and the freeway the 690 was the better bike.

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Thanks for the input after riding it I'm not so sure about the power band it's like riding a CRF450 except a little tamer with longer legs and a power band that comes on pretty damn hard, not a deal breaker I'm just used to my old trusty 640 LC4 AKA "the tractor" it's pretty tired so this thing kinda fell in my lap at the right time and priced right. The big issue is can I keep my ass out of jail on it? Cause it's a frigging blast packing the front through 4th on the main road out of town passing motorhomes while there gawking at the damn animals on the side of the road, moderation was never one of my good character traits, really the only thing "restricting" my fun & games is the 56 years if age thing other than that it's GAME ON. As far as getting it tagged in wyoming they really don't give a shizt as long as you have a brake light and a left side RV mirror so when you enevetably get pulled over your good because the lack of a safety inspection, the brake light no problem, the mirror thing piece of cake up here we just shove a dental mirror in the grip hole and call it good cause the law does not specify the size of said mirror. So next time you guys check out the Jackson town square live webcam that nut job pulling a 3rd gear wheelies with a dental mirror falling out on the road is not me honest.

PBR

The 560 will be a rocket ship compared to the 640. Like comparing a XR650 to a CRF450. Apples and oranges.

Like you said, super fun and the wheelies are endless (but I don't have the wheelie gene unfortunately).