2015 Dakar: Stage 4- Chilecito -> Copiapo

RGFan

The Route:
The competitors will have to prove they are worthy of entering Chile! A very early start and a climb to a height of 4,800 metres will precede the border crossing at Paso San Francisco. The really challenging section will begin with a gradual warm-up on the mining tracks, before drivers are faced with the reality of the Atacama Desert. The route here is open and sandy. Over the course of the last 40 kilometres, the giant dunes and basins of Copiapo will have to be tackled and for many this will be at night. Overcoming them will require finesse and instinct.

Schedule
Local Time is GMT-3
Pacific Standard Time is GMT-8

Transit
Bikes/Quads: 04:30 (local) 594 km/ 369 miles
Cars: 06:14 (local) 594 km/ 369 miles
Trucks: 08:16 (local) 594 km/ 369 miles

Special Stage
Bikes/Quads: 12:45 (local) 315 km/ 195.7 miles
Cars: 14:34 (local) 315 km/ 195.7 miles
Trucks 16:36 (local) 174 km/ 108.1 miles

Transit
Bikes/Quads: 0 km/ 0 miles
Cars: 0 km/ 0 miles
Trucks: 0 km/ 0 miles

• Bike/Quad
    <<>>
  • Car
    <<>>
  • Truck
    <<>>

Last edited:

spalind

Early morning and everyone is off on the long transit and into Chile. Reaching near 16,000 feet should be "interesting" for some (headaches and nausea inducing) and we now see some "real" desert racing with lots of sand and dunes. RG's day to shine?

fabnahorse

Good morning fellas. Looking forward to another exciting day of racing, stories and meaningless banter. Life is good!

vAnDiX

Early morning and everyone is off on the long transit and into Chile. Reaching near 16,000 feet should be "interesting" for some (headaches and nausea inducing) and we now see some "real" desert racing with lots of sand and dunes. RG's day to shine?
Gordon and Peugeot day

spalind

With 96 car entrants remaining and the event starting with 137, you've already seen a 30% attrition rate...

spalind

Goodness...a long time to wait today...RG is not due to start the special till a little after 1PM Eastern...lots of time for coffee and "work"....

spalind

Showing that you can't let your guard down on even the transit stages

"Frank Verhoestraete (Sherco) is out... accident with some horses on the liason it seems..."

kaw500

Showing that you can't let your guard down on even the transit stages

"Frank Verhoestraete (Sherco) is out... accident with some horses on the liason it seems..."
That sucks

notime

NTR Films media guy
Sainz wire pole accident last year was on a liaison if I'm correct

nimrod

KOOK!
Gonna be really cold first thing, man I hate being cold. Those poor bike/quad guys.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
9:30 am...... 5 hour difference.
Thanks. I know it is a 5 hr time difference from the west coast USA to B.A. (my son is living there now) but thought since they have been moving west they might have picked up a time zone. Thanks again for the clarification.

RGFan

Thanks. I know it is a 5 hr time difference from the west coast USA to B.A. (my son is living there now) but thought since they have been moving west they might have picked up a time zone. Thanks again for the clarification.
I thought as they crossed over to Chile that the time would change, but it is only certain times of the year. I checked local Copiapo time (which is just inland of the Pacific Coast) and it is 5 hours ahead of PST as well.

Last edited: