• Forum membership has its advantages....

2015 F1 Underway

standfast

Well the season has started and Merc looks supremely dominant as expected. The Ferrari seems to have rebounded after a massive team overhaul with Vettel collecting a 3rd in Melbourne. Kimi would have likely secured the 4th if it wasn't for some pit misfortune. The Williams looks strong but Bottas wasn't out there. I suspect he would have put up a fight with Vettel. Red Bull is floundering with massive powerplant deficit issues. Horner is crying for change. Attrition rate was huge with only 11 finishing the race. McHonda have not got this powerplant figured out and struggled to even finish Button with kmag retiring on the parade lap. Things look bleak for the Woking team. Alonso is released to race Malaysia here in a couple weeks. He must be kicking himself right now.

Thoughts on the start of the season?

trophygoat

Well the season has started and Merc looks supremely dominant as expected. The Ferrari seems to have rebounded after a massive team overhaul with Vettel collecting a 3rd in Melbourne. Kimi would have likely secured the 4th if it wasn't for some pit misfortune. The Williams looks strong but Bottas wasn't out there. I suspect he would have put up a fight with Vettel. Red Bull is floundering with massive powerplant deficit issues. Horner is crying for change. Attrition rate was huge with only 11 finishing the race. McHonda have not got this powerplant figured out and struggled to even finish Button with kmag retiring on the parade lap. Things look bleak for the Woking team. Alonso is released to race Malaysia here in a couple weeks. He must be kicking himself right now.

Thoughts on the start of the season?
Missed the race but my friend sent me live updates. I'm starting to get bored of F1... correct me if im wrong, but the merc team was THREE MINUTES ahead of vettel?? nowadays its whoever can throw the most money into their car (i think most teams spend 100 million a season...), then that team stays 2-3 minutes ahead of the pack the entire race and, especially last season and again in the first race, the top 2 are hamilton and rosberg. talk about BORING. ya sure there is a hamilton/rosberg rivalry, but it just doesn't seem very intense. still sorta new to F1... got interested from watching Rush. so maybe nothing is intense to me because I've already watched one of the most intense seasons in the sport's history.

standfast

The mercs were 30 seconds ahead. Not 3 minutes. 3 minutes would be nearly 2 laps ahead in Melbourne. 30 seconds is still a large margin of victory in F1. Top F1 teams spend well over 100 million in a year actually. More like 3 times that. It's not exactly tied to dollars in the upper tier. It's mainly about engineering talent. F1 is about 80% car/engineering, 20% driver, but the margins are tiny on the driver side. Almost any driver on the grid will get top 2 in a Merc right now. I am mostly a fan of the engineering in F1 but I also get amusement from the drivers. F1 has transitioned from a aerodynamic based formula to a powertrain based formula which is the reason for the shift in power between Red Bull and Merc. Ferrari, McLaren-Honda, Merc, and Red Bull all have massive budgets to work with. It's not just 1 team spending big. It is somewhat controlled though because of the token system that controls how many modifications are allowed on a car in a season. The key is knowing the parts will assist in a positive evolution of the car.

Chris_Wilson

Seems that over the decades there have been dominant teams in F1 more often than not.

Remember when hardly anybody won other than Prost or Senna in a Mclaren?
Or more recent, when Schumacher and Ferrari where a safe bet for the championship?
And seems like only yesterday that few could touch Vettel in the Red Bull which seemed to have the field covered. Some times we get lots of different winners like we did a couple years ago.

trophygoat

The mercs were 30 seconds ahead. Not 3 minutes. 3 minutes would be nearly 2 laps ahead in Melbourne. 30 seconds is still a large margin of victory in F1. Top F1 teams spend well over 100 million in a year actually. More like 3 times that. It's not exactly tied to dollars in the upper tier. It's mainly about engineering talent. F1 is about 80% car/engineering, 20% driver, but the margins are tiny on the driver side. Almost any driver on the grid will get top 2 in a Merc right now. I am mostly a fan of the engineering in F1 but I also get amusement from the drivers. F1 has transitioned from a aerodynamic based formula to a powertrain based formula which is the reason for the shift in power between Red Bull and Merc. Ferrari, McLaren-Honda, Merc, and Red Bull all have massive budgets to work with. It's not just 1 team spending big. It is somewhat controlled though because of the token system that controls how many modifications are allowed on a car in a season. The key is knowing the parts will assist in a positive evolution of the car.
I thought 3 minutes sounded insane. but still, 30 seconds is a lot. Obviously F1 cars are awesome machines, probably top 5 most advanced autos in the world, but racing should always be about the driver. otherwise why not have robots drive the cars. its the drive, the passion, the commitment... thats what makes racing great. I just don't feel that when I watch F1. maybe I'm biased towards off-road racing!

standfast

There will always be periods of dominance in F1 due to the nature of the ever changing formula's and team's ability to nail it early on while others struggle. To me it's all part of the show and I enjoy it.

F1 cars are the most technically advanced race vehicles in the world. Just taking a look into the power trains now used is amazing. To me F1 is a team sport that spans from a machinist in the shop, to an engineer, to a jack man, to a driver. It takes them all being perfect to win, and doesn't lack passion/commitment in my opinion. It is required by a massive group to be successful.

If you want it to be more about the driver then you need to get into spec racing like Indy or the Formula feeder series.

Chris Tobin

I just read that the German Grand Prix is cancelled for 2015... apparently it has been switching between Nurburing and Hockenheim and Berny couldn't get a deal worked with the new owners of the 'Ring and tried to skip them and go to Hock' but couldn't work that out either so they dropped the race altogether...

trophygoat

I just read that the German Grand Prix is cancelled for 2015... apparently it has been switching between Nurburing and Hockenheim and Berny couldn't get a deal worked with the new owners of the 'Ring and tried to skip them and go to Hock' but couldn't work that out either so they dropped the race altogether...
Thats a shame. Always enjoyed ANY kind of racing in germany...

Expianista

Vettel win Malaysia GP leading 8.5 seconds over Hamilton.
Italy will fall in love with him...... His 40th win, first for Ferrari since 2013 - Bet Alonso is turning green from envy.....
Second race, that was way faster as anybody expected no matter how he got it... (pit strategy 2 vs 3 pitstops I believe)
Rosberg 3rd - Raikkonene 4th
~~~
Bad day for the race-sport in Germany today at Nuerburgring - spectator killed
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/motorsport/32100886

trophygoat

Vettel win Malaysia GP leading 8.5 seconds over Hamilton.
Italy will fall in love with him...... His 40th win, first for Ferrari since 2013 - Bet Alonso is turning green from envy.....
Second race, that was way faster as anybody expected no matter how he got it... (pit strategy 2 vs 3 pitstops I believe)
Rosberg 3rd - Raikkonene 4th
~~~
Bad day for the race-sport in Germany today at Nuerburgring - spectator killed
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/motorsport/32100886
I think the merc-ferrari battle should be solid this season. sad to hear about germany. bad mojo all around that track.

Expianista

Doubt there will be much battle from now on. Sadly.... No team loses basically over night it's capability and the way Mercedes was ahead last season and the first race dominating.... that was a lucky one...
Not wanna smaller Vettels achievement but reality tells me that it was a combination of tire struggle, not so well executed pit strategy and heat.....
Good interview by Vettel... hehehehe : "I was shitting myself in the last few laps...."
http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/196133.html

Mumzy

Well well well...
The bells are ringing in Maranello!

Baby steps for the Scuderia. And you take them any way you can get them. Those who are making tire excuses remember that Kimi placed forth and had one of the fastest laps of the day.

This may be the first of many days they will ring!

standfast

Vettel was matching Hamilton's pace before the safety car when the tires were fresh. They were much closer in qualifying even in the rain when the track temp plummeted. I am not ready to say they will be competitive all year but there was more there than differing pit strategies. James Allison seems to have brought those tire forgiving attributes over from Lotus. This may allow them to put pressure on the Merc's and find some holes. Rosberg may have got what he hoped for and then some. This could allow Hamilton to further separate himself from Rosberg in points throughout the season with a possible 4 horse race. I fully expect Kimi to put in some better performances throughout the season. This car suits his style much better than last year which sounds cliche but it is true in his case.

Roll on China!

trophygoat

fun start in china. some great driving on that first turn. too bad it settled into the usual positions afterwards. 2 mercs, 2 ferraris and 2 williams for a while. and too bad for verstappen. whats the deal with red bull lately?
I was really hoping for a rosberg victory, but I must say 4 wins in china for hamilton... impressive stuff. i remember hearing there was a couple times where he beat his previous lap record by a second! the man is gifted no doubt.
I want to see raikkonen on the podium in bahrain.
and how about those sour looks from rosberg in the press conference? i can feel the heat from here

trophygoat

Well that was quite the race for everybody at COTA. What an awesome attack by Red Bull Infiniti for a while.. maybe they can carry that momentum into these final few races and keep the team alive for next year. Impressive driving by Sainz as well. I really wish Vettel would've taken Nico in the final lap to keep the championship race going but I suppose Hamilton deserves it, he has driven his a$$ off this year.

was really rooting for rossi to score some points though, oh well..

Bricoop

What a fun season (excluding the championships). COTA was outstanding. Sainz and Verstappen will be in the sport for a while. They are impressive. They're still making some "young" mistakes, speeding on pit road, etc. Vettel and Rosberg should have a fun race to the end, but Mexico really hurt his chances. Looking forward to seeing what improvements can be made in the offseason to all the teams.