• Forum membership has its advantages....

2015 will be Jeff Gordon's final full season in NASCAR...

Chris Tobin

I just heard on Sports Center that 2015 will be Jeff Gordon's last full season in NASCAR. He didn't say he was retiring and that he might still race from time to time, but 2015 is his last year running for the Championship.

What do you think??? Will he pull a Mark Martin and race for 10-more years or so part time? Will he get his 5th Championship? Can he put together another 13-win season and Tie David Pearson for all time wins?

I saw this coming as a possibility last year when JR Motorsports signed Chase Elliot for one more year in the Nationwide series AND HMS extended Kasey Kahne's contract. That meant that for 2016 when Chase Elliot is expected to move up to Cup full time there would not be an available seat at HMS due to NASCARs 4-team limit. HMS wouldn't let JJ or Dale Jr go and they extended KKs contract so the only logical choice would be for Jeff to give up his seat in the 24 for the best of the team! Maybe they will split the 24 for 2016 and Chase go full time in 2017, but I think they will run Chase full time in the 24 and run Jeff part time in another car for his favorite events. They could keep the 24 just for Jeff and give Chase the 25 too...

germancarsonly

I just heard on Sports Center that 2015 will be Jeff Gordon's last full season in NASCAR. He didn't say he was retiring and that he might still race from time to time, but 2015 is his last year running for the Championship.

What do you think??? Will he pull a Mark Martin and race for 10-more years or so part time? Will he get his 5th Championship? Can he put together another 13-win season and Tie David Pearson for all time wins?

I saw this coming as a possibility last year when JR Motorsports signed Chase Elliot for one more year in the Nationwide series AND HMS extended Kasey Kahne's contract. That meant that for 2016 when Chase Elliot is expected to move up to Cup full time there would not be an available seat at HMS due to NASCARs 4-team limit. HMS wouldn't let JJ or Dale Jr go and they extended KKs contract so the only logical choice would be for Jeff to give up his seat in the 24 for the best of the team! Maybe they will split the 24 for 2016 and Chase go full time in 2017, but I think they will run Chase full time in the 24 and run Jeff part time in another car for his favorite events. They could keep the 24 just for Jeff and give Chase the 25 too...
What I don't understand is why they renewed Kasey Kahne's contract? He really isn't good enough to deserve a HMS car.

Chris Tobin

What I don't understand is why they renewed Kasey Kahne's contract? He really isn't good enough to deserve a HMS car.
Agree. He's only slightly better than Casey Mears. Mears has had a seat in every top team and has done nothing with it.
I was surprised by the renewal/extension last year too. I figured when his contract was up at the end of 2015 they would let him go and bring in Chase Elliot to replace him, then they signed him up for longer!!! My guess is that he is a decent driver than can pull off a win here and there and he is VERY marketable, especially to women so he is bringing in funds for the whole HMS group, so they want to keep him. As Jeff has gotten older they have had more difficulty finding sponsorship for him, and with his back issues he decided to take one for the team. I'm not the biggest JG fan, but he can drive!!! It would be kinda cool to see him win his 5th as he closes the book on his racing career!

germancarsonly

I was surprised by the renewal/extension last year too. I figured when his contract was up at the end of 2015 they would let him go and bring in Chase Elliot to replace him, then they signed him up for longer!!! My guess is that he is a decent driver than can pull off a win here and there and he is VERY marketable, especially to women so he is bringing in funds for the whole HMS group, so they want to keep him. As Jeff has gotten older they have had more difficulty finding sponsorship for him, and with his back issues he decided to take one for the team. I'm not the biggest JG fan, but he can drive!!! It would be kinda cool to see him win his 5th as he closes the book on his racing career!
Kahne lost many of his Female fans when he saw a Woman breast feeding in public and went ballistic. He finally walked it back, but I think lots of damage was done with Female fans.

It's a no brainer that Elliott should get the ride. But, if they had two open seats they could put in a bid for Kyle Larson too next year.

Chris Tobin

I think Larson will stay with Target and Ganassi. I also think he'll get a couple wins and make the Chase this season...

germancarsonly

I think Larson will stay with Target and Ganassi. I also think he'll get a couple wins and make the Chase this season...
You could be right. Ganassi's stock car program did seem to improve last season. I had heard around here in Elk Grove that he signed a 2 year contract to drive for Ganassi. But I just did some Google research and it looks like he is there until the end of 2017. If we are to believe the Internet. But, I do remember that Kahne's contract was only for 2 years. If he doesn't pick up his pace he may be out at HMS after 2015.

Chris Tobin

You could be right. Ganassi's stock car program did seem to improve last season. I had heard around here in Elk Grove that he signed a 2 year contract to drive for Ganassi. But I just did some Google research and it looks like he is there until the end of 2017. If we are to believe the Internet. But, I do remember that Kahne's contract was only for 2 years. If he doesn't pick up his pace he may be out at HMS after 2015.
Kahne's contract was set to expire at the end of 2015 but they renewed/extended it during the season. He is contracted with HMS through the 2018 season...

Here is the contract info for all the teams and drivers:

http://www.jayski.com/news/pages/story/_/page/2015-NASCAR-Sprint-Cup-Team-Driver-Chart

Mumzy

Jeff Gordon has had a great career. It will kind of sad to hear of him going. I haven't really watched a whole race in several years.

My take on Kahne is that when NASCAR put the chase in place they immediately validated 10 drivers. And now they have made it 12. In most forms of Motorsport there are realistically three or four that are in the hunt by the second half of the season. What they have done is pacify the sponsors and at the same time snookered the ignorant NASCAR fan by taking what should have been three and multiplied it five fold. The win is drivers like Kahne, JR. and others who can finish in the top 15 consistently but will most likely never win a championship. But because they get the TV time and sneak in a win from time to time as long as they keep their nose clean they will have a ride.

Yes I said Dale Earnhardt Jr. will NEVER win a championship in the big league.