• Forum membership has its advantages....

2016 SCORE Baja 1000 and Map

Baja_Seve

I think the Mano Pass alternative is the best. Least amount of re-marking. Safer than others. Not sure of land issues - and there's pine forest at the top. Anyone view Brenthal's video? Looks like they marked the course (and ostensibly the source of the course change) in a stock SXS. Maybe station the BFGoodrich Tires tow strapper if it's really that bad on the Summit.

Mano Pass was used downhill at night in 2013 Baja 1000 and in NORRA. For those not familiar, it is a route that goes up the Sierra Juarez just below Cohabuzo, but before you turn up the traditional Summit. It's an easier route, IMHO.

The good news is that prerunning was opened 1 week earlier for a traditional loop course. How about Score take a step back, really evaluate the options, then announce later this week what the decision is. Teams can still prerun the west side. What say you?

zpoyly

retro-ny
no Word in the course change?, mano pass is a fine option, four years ago we went all the way to the top in a 1974 datsun b210 wagon, but dont know in what condition the road is in the present
b210.jpg

Racing Ron

So for the teams that were prepared to prerun tomorrow AM, still no course?

guycomer

I'm with Y2KBaja and Baja Bound on this one.. do Summit clockwise and run the Goat Trail 2x up to Check 4.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Slippery P

Lame! Up the summit backwards at night was going to be all time!
I'm sure there would have been cry babies though.

Wouldn't it be awesome if the course determined the overall winner, rather than the overall winner determining the course. Hint hint anniversary course should be well over 1300 miles!

Last edited:

LukeMcMillin

With the course change, we need to be running San Matias wash uphill back towards the finish now, not down still. The course unnecessarily crosses itself, which is dangerous and will make for an absolute nightmare for traffic at the San Matias road crossing...

It needs to be ran just like we did at the 2014 Baja 500. Stay on the highway down San Matias pass and make a right turn into the wash down at the road crossing.... and then inbound, we come up from Borrego on the highway and make a right turn into the San Matias wash and go up it. Then the course never crosses itself or the highway. It makes everything flow much much better!!

The way they have it now, the San Matias road crossing is going to be two way traffic on the highway for chase vehicles (which IS the race course in this section)... AND the race course crosses the highway in this section.... AND the race course crosses ITSELF in this exact area..... This is a recipe for a disaster.

I hope they make this change quick before people start Pre running it both directions! This issue is very easy to fix...

Last edited:

mattb

It would be cool to leave the summit as an option, as well as a longer safer way up via asphalt. Kind of like a joker line.

BajaboundMoto

we need to be running San Matias wash uphill back towards the finish now, not down still. The course unnecessarily crosses itself, which is dangerous and will make for an absolute nightmare for traffic at the San Matias road crossing..
YES.
I posted same yesterday on a Max Eddy FB thread that gained a lot of traction. It needs to be done safe as possible (which really means up Mano or down the Summit, but...).
Also, IMO in this area the Hwy speed limit should be 30-, not 60. It's just too sketchy having race vehicles going 60 both directions on Hwy along with all the civilian and chase traffic and cars/trucks spectating the vehicles going thru the whoops next to the road (recall Rick & Brenda accident?). Yes I speak from experience of 25 B.500's, many close calls with cars, and this years B.500 hitting a car on the Hwy at the k77/k78 area. Completely sketchy.

redline

Guys you are all thinking about this wrong. Just think of the fuel savings, less enviormental impact, more aggravated drivers on highway getting blinded, #speedzoneselfie opportunities, tire savings, and much improved boredom that adding another 45 minutes of highway is allowing us. Why does everyone on rdc always have to be so pessimistic?

redline

Real question though is why did they make the course in the first place without trying out the new areas and directions first? Most of us knew as soon as they annouced the course that summit backwards would be a cluster@#$%. 15-20 miles uphill sand wash before even starting the real climb, then the first 5 miles would be nearly if not totally impossible for greater majority of limited classes.

swiftracing5

Real question though is why did they make the course in the first place without trying out the new areas and directions first? Most of us knew as soon as they annouced the course that summit backwards would be a cluster@#$%. 15-20 miles uphill sand wash before even starting the real climb, then the first 5 miles would be nearly if not totally impossible for greater majority of limited classes.
I'm sure someone here has the inside info but I'd not be at all surprised if they just map the course via google earth or similar then the initial marking is what they did last week. Which is when they second guessed the choice.

LukeMcMillin

YES.
I posted same yesterday on a Max Eddy FB thread that gained a lot of traction. It needs to be done safe as possible (which really means up Mano or down the Summit, but...).
Also, IMO in this area the Hwy speed limit should be 30-, not 60. It's just too sketchy having race vehicles going 60 both directions on Hwy along with all the civilian and chase traffic and cars/trucks spectating the vehicles going thru the whoops next to the road (recall Rick & Brenda accident?). Yes I speak from experience of 25 B.500's, many close calls with cars, and this years B.500 hitting a car on the Hwy at the k77/k78 area. Completely sketchy.
I talked to Jose and Roger, they recognize the issue and are working on changing it. So that's good news. Luckily this section is very late in the race, so I think it will be ok traffic wise as long as it flows the correct way we mentioned.... I still agree with you, it is not ideal to have the course like this, but making this course change that we mentioned will be a big help.

swiftracing5

After looking at the map on motion x, it looks like it might actually be slightly more overall miles now. Albeit pavement...

CJEFFERIES

Maybe they should stop putting the "preliminary" map out at the expo so then we could all complain about not having any idea where the course goes. Maybe they should just eliminate prerunning so then we don't have to worry about where the course goes. My point is just relax. The course will be the course. Be happy that all we have to do is sit and wait for an e mail telling us where it goes. It is so cool to speculate and hope and dream where it goes.
I do love the "joker lane" idea. That makes for some thinking and really doing your homework as far as prerunning. I'm sure whatever it is it will be awesome because after all it is the Baja frickin 1000! If you don't like the antics then stay home and complain about the tracker not working.

johndjmix

Another vote for a "easy route" or "hard route". Make the easy route longer and sent the hard route up the summit.

Let the racer make the call.

This would make a very interesting race!

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com

43mod

all you guys w all these years doing this stuff really suck. I was born in the wrong place at the wrong time .
I could still be adopted ??

Lucho

YES.
Tim, I just learned of this late last night after our UTV race here in Cal City, and it seems that there could be several options rather than having two=-way traffic, next to each other. The 30 mph is a good idea, but I think they could go out today and clean up those areas where they have several options to and fro. I still think going backwards up the summit was going to be an all-time deal. Remember we used that many years ago in one of our Baja Promotions events. Tough but doable. Johnny, and the boys are already on their way up going to try the back of the summit, so I guess it's too late for them. I'll try to reach them via satellite phone.

El Mamito USMC

heres the map with the updated changes..

Baja 1000, 2016.jpg