2016 SCORE Baja 500

JoeyD23

RDC Crypto
Website
www.UTVUnderground.com
Still a race going on where I am. A few UTVs seemed to have missed the drivers meeting and are going the wrong way where the course supposedly changed. We keep trying to flag them down our way

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Luke McMillin did the same thing. Last I checked he was in one of the sickest TTs in the sport. ;)

bajafox

Barely Accepted
RDC Crypto
8036 through RM250ish at midnight still moving, heating issues but we cooled her down

8d01ab634b6747bfb35a0df63380dd40.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

mexgamer

RDC Crypto
So, did any TT from the second group made it into the top 5?

And, when you spot a hater posting, just ignore. Weatherman's job is extremely hard, and stressful. What you can hear on the feed is not even half of what he is actually hearing; he does a great job of relaying information and prioritizing resources, even under a lot of pressure from a lot of people.
I remember when I got to man the radio at Check 6 during the 2013 Baja 1000 it was overwhelming at times because team members would come to me for info but then I also had to make sure all the cars passing by were being recorded right. That info had to be relayed to Weatherman and on top of that we had to deal with dumb spectators trying to enter the course. Weatherman's job is 10 times harder than that of Checkpoint Official, so I can only imagine...

J Prich

RDC Crypto
Unfortunate that the last few Baja xxx/x's have been marred by some kind of tragedy. Will certainly be a lot of scrutiny forthcoming. The nature of the beast ensures that this will never be 100% safe but the community is obligated to give each incident an honest, critical look to try to minimize the dangers to the highest degree possible.

TYork

RDC Crypto
My prayers are with the families of the loved one we all lost today.

With that said, i am not a fan of changing courses due to weather conditions. It is up to each racer and team director to us good judgement.

Everybody knew this race would be brutal, hot and dangerous.

If you weren't ready to handle the heat physically and mentally then it was going to be a very long day.

I will criticize SCORE for not having a plan in case of an accident in the wash. IMO, the race should have been rerouted one block over and then down into the wash.

I had entered this race in the Moto ironman and withdrew last Tuesday for work reasons.

My wife was planning on making her first trip with me and she was worried. I showed her how many resources SCORE dedicated to keeping us safe. From listening to weatherman all day and up to midnight it appeared the resources were not utilized to their fullest potential.

It was an exciting and a very sad day for Baja.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
The 21st century is here. A racer being unattended for hours is unacceptable. Heard multiple times WX man could not reach score helo while refueling while using satcom. Menzies helo picked up a rider. If it gets to the point that a team is looking out for another, weatherman/ score is not functioning properly.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

You are so wrong about this. I heard Menzies helicopter talk to Weatherman. They did not pick anyone up. However, they did land and check on two riders who said they were not in need of their assistance. Class act right there.

As far as no communication with the chopper while it was fueling. It doesn't matter, the bird was refueling. It is on the ground and couldn't do anything anyway. The chopper had just transported a rider they took a while to locate because he was down in the canyon after the summit. Then needed to refuel. There was an ambulance with the 6x shortly after the crash and they said he was so bad they couldn't and wouldn't transport. Weathermen (both) coordinated to get a doctor hauled in there and he got there about the same time a chopper flew all the way across the peninsula.

If you are going to talk a bunch of crap, at least have the facts right!

My heart and prayers are with the families of the fallen riders and spectator today. The worst my teams experienced down there were some broken bones. I can't imagine dealing with a fatality. I know how teammates are like family and then add to it you are in a foreign country makes it all the more difficult. I believe the Weathermen (Bob and San Felipe) did a good job in getting help where they could. I listened to the whole thing and they sure sounded to me like they did everything they could do. They even arranged for a doctor to be driven to the scene. I could do a play by play replay, but I don't think that is necessary and I may not have it exactly right. There is no way SCORE could have re-routed a complete course due to the heat in just a few days. The teams should have known how to handle the heat and should have made adjustments to their programs. The crash at the start is as much an Ensenada police issue as much as SCORE. They need to control the crowds in the wash and organize that better. Every year there is a near miss down there because of the spectators. That isn't necessarily SCORE's fault. Even if SCORE has put barricades up, the people will go where they want unless the Police stop them.

Congrats to all the teams that finished. It was a tough race. Then with the delay, those teams had to be frustrated to start later and run farther in the dark.

Last edited: