• Forum membership has its advantages....

2016 Silkway Rally - Stage12 - Jiayuguan > Alashan

Klaus

Administrator

Big Desert - 07/21/2016

Screen Shot 2016-07-20 at 15.29.32.png

Distance:
Road section: 183 km
Special: 425 km
2nd Road section: 58 km

Schedule:
Cars will start the
road section at 07:00 (18:00 PST on 07/20/2016)
special at 9:45 (20:45 PST on 07/20/2016)

Timezone:
UTC+8 / CST (China standard time) / 15 hours ahead of current Pacific Time.
[parsehtml]
<iframe src="https://freesecure.timeanddate.com/clock/i5aa94f8/n33/tt0/tw0/tm1/ts1/tb4" frameborder="0" width="87" height="34"></iframe>

[/parsehtml]

Links:
Silk Way Rally 2016. Moscow - Beijing
Official Entry List
Live Results

Tracking:
[parsehtml]
<iframe id="_c_" src="http://dagobah.iritrack.net/tdcom/eviewer/swr16" style="height: 700px;width:100%"></iframe>[/parsehtml]

E. Araiza

LOEB LOOSES HIS WAY !
S12 JIAYUGUAN-ALASHAN “Big desert” 666,92kms
TERRAIN: 85% tracks: dune10%, sand 61% and dirt 10%
15% off-road : dune10% and sand, gravel 5%
ALTITUDE : 1148-1811m

Sébastien Loeb and Daniel Elena (Peugeot DKR 2008) drove brilliantly on the Jiayuguan-Alashan stage, but were penalized four hours for missing two way-points. Cyril Despres and David Castera (Peugeot DKR 2008), inherit the stage win. Airat Mardeev put Kamaz atop the truck category leader board with two stages remaining in the 2016 Silk Way Rally.

What to remember

°So close but not close enough!
°T2 At a glance
°Mardeev takes stage and overall lead
°Tomorrow : “Road to mines”

SO CLOSE BUT NOT CLOSE ENOUGH!

Sébastien Loeb and Daniel Elena put in their first dominating performance of edition 6 of the Silk Way Rally on the tracks and dunes of the 425km special stage to take 07’02” from overall leaders Cyril Despres and David Castera. But Loeb and Elena failed to come within the required distance at way-points 75 and 76, resulting in a four hour penalty. “It is frustrating, it’s a heavy price to pay,” said the disappointed Frenchman after arriving at the bivouac. “It is an error we will never make again”. Loeb and Elena are now 10th in the general classification.

Despres and Castera were hampered by a clutch problem, losing third gear in the dunes, but managed to bring their DKR 2008 to the finish and score their fifth victory of the rally. Yazeed Al Rahji and Timo Gottschalk (MINI ALL4 Racing) finished second today at 02’30” and are now heading towards the second step on the podium at the ‘Bird’s Nest’ podium. The Saudi-German crew is 30’30” back from the overall leaders. Vladmir Vasilyev and Konstantin Zhlitsov (MNI ALL4 Racing) finished third and are also third overall, 54’04”adrift of the leaders.

Peterhansel and Cottret were fourth, ahead of Han Wei and Jean-Pierre Garcin (SMG Buggy). Sixth in the stage, Harry Hunt and Andreas Schulz (MINI ALL4 Racing) are now fourth overall. Aidyn Rakhimbayev (KAZ) and Anton Nikolaev (RUS) move up to fifth in the general classification, making it four Mini ALL4 Racing cars in the Top 5.

T2 At a glance…

With two days to go before the finish in Beijing, Akira Miura and Laurent Lichtleuchter (Toyota VDJ200) are on their way to the laurels in the production category, with another stage win ahead of Denis Berezovskiy and Ignat Falkov (Toyota Land Cruiser).

Mardeev takes overall lead

Edouard Nikolaev (Kamaz) set best time in the truck category, but the big winner on stage 12 was Airat Mardeev (Kamaz). The Russian crossed the line 02’46” behind his countryman, but 17’05” ahead of Martin Van Den Brink (Renault) to take the overall lead by 12’33”. The Dutchman suffered a puncture at the 300km mark in the dunes and was stopped 10 minutes to make repairs. Dmitry Sotnikov set the third best time, at 05’50” to Mardeev and is now second ion the general classification at 07’52”. Nikolaev and Hou Hongning (Kamaz) complete the big rig Top 5. Tomorrow : Stage 13 of the 2016 Silk Way Rally, from Alashan to Wuhai (724.89km, with 326.51km of special stage). After the start in a wadi, the track will narrow between the dunes. It will be crucial to follow the correct valleys were several waypoints are located.

E. Araiza

“Not easy without 3rd gear “
Cyril Despres (Driver, N°104 Peugeot DKR2008) :

“We had our doubts at the start of the stage. And they were confirmed in the dunes where we lost 3 rd gear. In these conditions, I am happy we were able to get out of the dunes without too much damage. We had to maintain the rpms in the dunes were we couldn’t use the ideal trajectory. But rally-raid is motor racing and problems are part of it.”

“A puncture“
Yazeed Al Rajhi (Driver,N°103 MINI ALL4 Racing) :

“We overtook Vasilyev in this special stage where we really couldn’t attack. We got a puncture at km 140 and then we followed Vasilyev in the dunes. Three days from Beijing, the most important thing for us is to protect our position in the general classification.”

“Seb drove a great special stage…“
Stéphane Peterhansel (Driver, N°100 Peugeot DKR2008) :

“We stayed behind Cyril Despres for the entire special stage and sometimes we could see Sébastien Loeb’s tracks. I have to say he drove a great stage, sometimes taking some interesting directions in the dunes. He has made a lot of progress in navigation. It is a shame for him, because sometimes it comes down to the details. The area wherehe got caught out was complicated to understand…We also did a lot of turning in circles…”

“It’s frustrating“
Sébastien Loeb (Driver, N°102 Peugeot DKR2008):

“We have been working well for the past few days. Today, we decided to attack and we ran out front for the entire special stage at an accelerated pace. When we arrived at CP3, we understood that something wasn’t right. We had backtracked thinking that we returned to the missing points, but unfortunately, Daniel made a mistake and it turned out we came up 40 metres shy of validating the missing way-points. It is a heavy price to pay, but that is the rule. In any case, it is a mistake we will not make any more. Today, we were perhaps in apposition to win the rally. We will now try to learn more…”

“From hunted to hunter”
Martin Van Den Brink (Driver N°301 Renault Sherpa) :

“Mardeev got past us and we were following until we suffered a puncture at the 300Km mark in the dunes. The time to slow done, change the tyre and get back up to speed cost us 20 minutes. Today we were the hunted, but now we will be the hunters, chasing the Kamaz. We are more than 12 minutes behind, but there is still time. The race is not over.”

“My goal was to catch VDB”
Airat Mardeev (driver, N°306 Kamaz):

“My goal was to catch up to Van Den Brink and it&#39;s very good that we did it, because his pace was very fast. At first, it was really difficult to follow him, but when on the off-road tracks we started to catch him, but a car slowed my attack. Then we caught him again and he signaled us past. Thanks to him. We had a puncture at km 140, but drove to the finish and didnt lost time.”

Edouard Nikolaev (driver N°310 Kamaz):

“It was a really hard stage in terms of navigation and driving. It was tough for the vehicle too. We were strong, we liked this stage. As for the cancellation of yesterday's stage, I think the organizers did everything right, because what is most important is the safety of the crews.”

spalind

he does seem to be having issues transitioning from stage rally to rally raid...and Loeb did not shy away from throwing him under the bus that's for sure!

Klaus

Administrator
Todays summary video has a good feature of David / Aldo racing / Canada in it. He describes the terrain and how it compares to other places he has raced.

Last edited:

Short Bus

Ouch. I really was hoping Elena would get up to speed since he is connected at the hip with Loeb. It seems the driving transition is easier than the navigator duties.

The photography seems to be getting better as the event goes on. Maybe that is related the terrain changes though (?).

Dirty Harry

Ouch. I really was hoping Elena would get up to speed since he is connected at the hip with Loeb. It seems the driving transition is easier than the navigator duties.
I think that this deficiency was masked at Dakar this year since so much of the course was on two-track roads. Loeb is the best driver at the event, but Elena is used to having EVERY bump and turn in his notes and that is not the case with rally raid. He is a smart guy and I am certain that he will get up to speed, but it isn't necessarily going to be quick or easy.

Short Bus

I think that this deficiency was masked at Dakar this year since so much of the course was on two-track roads. Loeb is the best driver at the event, but Elena is used to having EVERY bump and turn in his notes and that is not the case with rally raid. He is a smart guy and I am certain that he will get up to speed, but it isn't necessarily going to be quick or easy.
I thought it would have been a good idea to enter Elena into a few more raids to build up his skills, even if in a T2 car. Before becoming Loeb's co-driver he was a rally driver himself. I think it might have been valuable to put him in the driver's seat for a race like Sealine or Qatar and paired him with one of the high level navigators from one of the other Pug teams. I'm sure Peugeot did a lot of that with him in training in Morocco, but it would be nice to put to the test in race conditions.

spalind

I thought it would have been a good idea to enter Elena into a few more raids to build up his skills, even if in a T2 car. Before becoming Loeb's co-driver he was a rally driver himself. I think it might have been valuable to put him in the driver's seat for a race like Sealine or Qatar and paired him with one of the high level navigators from one of the other Pug teams. I'm sure Peugeot did a lot of that with him in training in Morocco, but it would be nice to put to the test in race conditions.
Exactly why I think it has been so great for Bryce to go with long time, experienced navigators rather than trying to bring someone he has a relationship with but is rally-raid inexperienced.

GEO_DXB

Sealine (which is Qatar) is a very complicated navigation race even for experienced guys. I'd say all he needs is a few more raids and maybe some tips from other navigators in the team.

Short Bus

Sealine (which is Qatar) is a very complicated navigation race even for experienced guys. I'd say all he needs is a few more raids and maybe some tips from other navigators in the team.
That's right, I meant Desert Challenge. The open desert races are where they need some more practice.

GEO_DXB

and DC is basically a no-navigation race for anyone with experience. Im too lazy to finalize the write-up on our race, but basically if you dont start first there's a real highway in front of you and you just tend to follow. Morocco should be good practice.

Dirty Harry

Before becoming Loeb's co-driver he was a rally driver himself. I think it might have been valuable to put him in the driver's seat for a race like Sealine or Qatar and paired him with one of the high level navigators from one of the other Pug teams.
Yeah I agree that would probably be the best for him. The only issue might be that navigation is currently the only advantage that his teammates have over Loeb!