• Forum membership has its advantages....

2016 Silkway Rally - Stage15 - Hohhot > Beijing (FINISH)

Klaus

Administrator

Towards the podium - 07/24/2016

Screen Shot 2016-07-22 at 12.20.44.png

Distance:
Road section: 508 km

Schedule:
Cars will start the
road section at 05:30 (16:30 PST on 07/23/2016)

Timezone:
UTC+8 / CST (China standard time) / 15 hours ahead of current Pacific Time.
[parsehtml]
<iframe src="https://freesecure.timeanddate.com/clock/i5aa94f8/n33/tt0/tw0/tm1/ts1/tb4" frameborder="0" width="87" height="34"></iframe>

[/parsehtml]

Links:
Silk Way Rally 2016. Moscow - Beijing
Official Entry List
Live Results

Tracking:
[parsehtml]
<iframe id="_c_" src="http://dagobah.iritrack.net/tdcom/eviewer/swr16" style="height: 700px;width:100%"></iframe>[/parsehtml]

E. Araiza

THE SILK WAY FLAME
From the Luzhniki Stadium to the ‘Bird’s Nest’, the 2016 Silk Way Rally and its 130 car and truck teams demonstrated an Olympic spirit on the more than 10,000km route, in the space of two weeks!
What to remember

° Effort worthy of a gold medal
°Despres and Castera : From Cubs to Lions
° T2 at a glance….
° Mardeev subdues the ‘Sherpa’
°”A dream comes true”
° “Well done everyone”

Effort worthy of a gold medal

After the effort comes the reward. Leaving Hohhot for the 507kms liaison, passing by the ‘Great Wall’ The 2016 Silk Way Rally caravan voyaged as one to Beijing and the Olympic Complex across from the ‘Bird’s Nest’ stadium for the official awards ceremony. While the category victors kicked off the proceedings, everyone, professional or amateur, driver or mechanic, organizer or volunteer, put in an effort worth of a gold medal at the end of this journey across central Asia. While it can honestly claim its stature as the world’s longest and most demanding motor race, the Silk Way Rally was also a voyage into the heart of what the Orient has best to offer.

Despres and Castera: From Cubs to Lions !

Despite being relative new-comers to the car category, Cyril Despres and co-driver David Castera put in a text book performance of how a rally-raid is won. The former motorcycle racers let the rally come to them. They never panicked and were fast when required and as cool as the A/C in their Peugeot DKR 2008 when others struggled. They kept their eye on the prize and navigated their way to the top step of the podium. They learned from the discipline’s best. Cubs…they are no more, this new duo have claws as sharp as their illustrious team mates. “We learned so much between Moscow and Beijing”, said Despres. “We gained confidence and had a great time on the Silk Way Rally.” Others take note; the Peugeot Pride is now that much more ferocious! While Peugeot triumphed, MINI also impressed, beginning with Yazeed Al Rahji and Timo Glottschalk. The Saudi-German duo led the ALL4 Racing effort, finishing 25’51” adrift of Despres and Castera. Russia’s Vladimir Vasilyev and Konstanin Zhiltsov gave Team X-Raid two medalists on the Silk Way podium. The international theme continued with England’s Harry Hunt and Germany’s Andreas Schulz fourth overall, while the Kazakah-Russian pairing of Aidyn Rakhimbayev and Anton Nikolaev gave the German constructor four places in the Top 5.

T2 at a glance….Berezovskiy in the end…

More than a full hour separated the top two in T2 at the start of the final 260km special stage. No one would have imagined Denis Berezovskiy and Igant Falkov (Toyota Land Cruiser) could still take the category win. But in motor racing it is never over until it’s over and when disaster struck the uncontested leader in the production class, Akira Miura (Toyota VDJ200), who found himself mired in the final erg of edition 6, less than 30kms form the finish, second best was of little solace to the Japanese driver. Nevertheless, the T2 podium is an all Toyota affair with the Kazakh team of Marat Abykayez and Andrei Chipenko (Toyota Land Cruiser) completing the Top 3.

Mardeev subdues the ‘Sherpa’

With six trucks entered in the Silk Way Rally, the Kamaz Master Team was looking good for yet another overall triumph. Clearly the Naberejnhye Chelny armada didn’t foresee their two impending rivals: the desert and the all-new Renault ‘Sherpa’ of Holland’s Martin Van Den Brink. Winner of six stages, the ‘Flying Dutchman’ gave the Russian squad plenty to worry about. Edouard Nikolaev in the all-new ‘Kapotnik’ suffered an oil pan issue, Andrey Karginov was slowed in the Gobi and Anton Shibalov had too many mechanical problems to count. But Dmitry Sotnikov and Airat Mardeev kept marching on. The Renault had far too many hiccups; from re-cooling to punctures and electrical concerns, but that didn’t stop VDB and crew from finishing third overall. But in the end, the law of big numbers saw Kamaz do what they now best…win. Airat Mardeev was too strong and too consistent; as he accepted the laurels form the top step of the Beijing podium as his runner-up team mate Dmitry Sotnikov looked on from step two.

Vladimir Chagin (Project Director Silk Way Rally)

“A dream comes true“

“After two weeks and more than 10,000kms, I am so proud we have arrived in Beijing. I want to congratulate all the teams who placed their confidence in us on this tremendous adventure. I would also like to thank all of our partners and the authorities in the three countries the Silk Way Rally visited. I would also like to thank the automobile federations, because without them the 2016 Silk Way Rally would not be possible. We dreamed of becoming a major international rally and the dream has come true. The arrival in Beijing marks the conclusion of this 2016 edition, but it also begins the countdown for next year’s event, which we have already begun planning. Believe me, this is just the start of a long-term project that will be an important part of off-road racing. So, with that, all I have to say is please join us next year for edition 7 of the Silk Way Rally.”

Frédéric Lequien (Deputy Director Silk Way Rally)

“Well done everyone!”

“Moscow seems so long ago from here on the podium at the ‘Bird’s Nest’ in Beijing. We have enjoyed an incredible race over the past two weeks as we have passed through some amazing places. The 2016 Silk Way Rally, the first to be held on such a large scale was a proper test of endurance for everyone. I want to thank the many volunteers and the entire organization team, who have demonstrated the ability to react to every situation that came their way and of course the crews who put their trust in us. Well done to everyone! We offered the participants an unforgettable adventure, full of emotions. The potential for future editions is limitless.”

Dirty Harry

I know it isn't Dakar but there were still a lot of big names at Silk Way. Kudos to Depres for coming out on top and for Alrajhi and Yasilyev for getting on the podium.

Depres was a monster on a bike, I think he just gets overshadowed now because he is on a team with three of the best drivers in the world. If the navigation is challenging at Dakar this year I expect him to do very well.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Short Bus

Even with all the resources and talent the Peugeot has put into Rally Raid, the XRaid team still is very competitive. 4 of the top 5 go to XRaid.

GEO_DXB

Peugeot weight 1280 kg (taken from Red Bull website)(near minimum for class)
Mini weight (empty) (taken from X Raid spec) 1953 kg - near minimum for class

spalind

Wow, Bensadoun with a near top 10 finish! Congrats! Really well done! Hope they continue to participate in Rally-Raid and spread the word throughout North America.

Dirty Harry

Peugeot weight 1280 kg (taken from Red Bull website)(near minimum for class)
Mini weight (empty) (taken from X Raid spec) 1953 kg - near minimum for class
I don't think that there are a lot of other 2WD vehicles out there that are that light though. At least not competitive ones. The Gordini has to weigh at least 1000 pounds more than the Peugeot.

And 4WD doesn't add 1000 pounds to a vehicle, the rule is just set up to level the playing field between weight and traction. Which allows the Minis to be more robust and still close to the minimum allowable weight.

But I am not tell you anything that you don't already know. ;)

GEO_DXB

I think it all depends on what route you are going. My Predator is still light (well ok, its not the same league as the Pug, but shows). You can drop in a body, or keep a buggy-like body, you can have an SMG (essentially a fairly heavy US-made chassis) or build lighter in-house, you can drop non-essentials out (like we dont have the hydrojacks in the buggy although I was moaning for them) etc...

Mini sticks to the rules, but the robustness is just all about years of experience and practice - they are around for so long and their technology is so developed that unless Pugs bring out smth out of this world Mini will be on par. Minis dont change much, any change is probably so much tested it is bullet-proof and small things are probably to individual preference of paying customers and dont affect overall performance and car handling. Again, we are down to 2 simple facts - X Raid is now a well-running business generating cash flow. Pug (sorry, i initially wrote Mini but didnt mean it) is a factory effort where money and technology is thrown at the vehicle to make sure the brand it represents does not lose.

Last edited:

Desert Dog

Dakar Finisher
Marian Chytka took the majority of the photos - this is his comment about the event:

"Check out the photos from the awesome @silkwayrally ... One of the best events I have ever done. More than 10.000km ... Moscow - ) Beijing...cant wait for the next edition"

Bearing in mind that he has done multiple Dakars, it shows how awesome this event is!

Bricoop

I don't think that there are a lot of other 2WD vehicles out there that are that light though. At least not competitive ones. The Gordini has to weigh at least 1000 pounds more than the Peugeot.
I'm very interested about this....assuming the Peugeot number is accurate, that's 2,821 lbs. I assume that's dry weight, I wonder if that includes spares?
The Humbuggy was 4,500lbs when it debuted, but went on a few diets during the summers and shed a significant amount of weight. The Gordini is significantly smaller than the Humbuggy. An SST weighs 2900lbs which many people have claimed are comparable to the Gordini.

Dirty Harry

The Humbuggy was 4,500lbs when it debuted, but went on a few diets during the summers and shed a significant amount of weight. The Gordini is significantly smaller than the Humbuggy. An SST weighs 2900lbs which many people have claimed are comparable to the Gordini.
But a Gordini adds a second seat, AC, a windshield, two spares, on board inflation, navigation equipment, it all adds up.

When you see the Peugeots you can tell they pushed the envelope on weight. And they haven't been super durable, but when you have as much talent and money as they do one of them is going to end up on top of the box, even if the others DNF.

Bricoop

But a Gordini adds a second seat, AC, a windshield, two spares, on board inflation, navigation equipment, it all adds up.

When you see the Peugeots you can tell they pushed the envelope on weight. And they haven't been super durable, but when you have as much talent and money as they do one of them is going to end up on top of the box, even if the others DNF.

Totally agree, The Gordini is probably significantly heavier than an SST.