• Forum membership has its advantages....

2016 Silkway Rally - Stage5 - Astana > Balkhash

Klaus

Administrator

The Seven Rivers Lake - 07/13/2016

Screen Shot 2016-07-12 at 11.22.31.png

Distance:
Road section: 236 km
Special: 568 km
2nd Road section: 17 km

Schedule:
Cars will start the
road section at 05:00 (16:00 PST on 07/12/2016)
special at 09:20 (20:20 PST on 07/12/2016)

Timezone:
UTC+6 / MSK (Moscow standard time) / 13 hours ahead of current Pacific Time.
[parsehtml]
<iframe src="https://freesecure.timeanddate.com/clock/i5a31lw4/n921/tt0/tw0/tm1/ts1/tb4" frameborder="0" width="87" height="34"></iframe>

[/parsehtml]

Links:
Silk Way Rally 2016. Moscow - Beijing
Official Entry List
Live Results

Tracking:
[parsehtml]
<iframe id="_c_" src="http://dagobah.iritrack.net/tdcom/eviewer/swr16" style="height: 700px;width:100%"></iframe>[/parsehtml]

Last edited:

Klaus

Administrator
nice long stage...should start to separate the men from the boys...
They are still stacked very close. For example Harry Hunt (Mini) today got himself stuck today and dropped to 89th position but was only 49 minutes behind the winner. That means on corrected time within 1hour you had 89+ finishers.

E. Araiza

DESPRES ROCKS - PETERHANSEL ROLLS
S5 ASTANA-BALKHASH IN BETWEEN TWO LAKES
Cyril Despres and David Castera set best time, while Stéphane Peterhansel and Jean-Paul Cottret rolled on stage 5 of the Silk Way Rally, Astana-Balkhash, 820.75km, with 568.24km of special stage.

What to remember –

Despres Rocks
Peterhansel rolls
Trucks: Van Den Brink wins with 2 nd best time overall!
Muira and Lichtleuchter take T2 honours
In Between Two Lakes

Despres rocks

Cyril Despres and David Castera set best time on the longest stage of the rally (568.24 km).and no one was more surprised than the newcomers to the French powerhouse. “If someone had said that after starting 10 th , I would’ve been the car opening the tracks at the end of the special, I wouldn’t have believed them”, said Despres after winning his 2 nd stage of the 2016 Silk Way Rally. Yazeed Al Rahji and Timo Gottschalk finished second in his MINI ALL4 Racing, despite suffering three punctures. The Saudi is now 3 rd overall at 14’38”. The MINI ALL4 Racing crews of Aidyn Rakhimbayev and Anton Nikolaev and Harry Hunt and Andrea Schulz made it three MINI ALL4 Racing entries in the top four. Sébastien Loeb completed the top five and now trails Despres by 14’22” in the general classification. Peterhansel rolls

Starting first in Astana, Stéphane Peterhansel and Jean-Paul Cottret suffered a spectacular accident with fortunately no injuries to the crew. At km 416, the Peugeot DKR 2008 suffered major front end damage when it nose planted and rolled. The car was put right with assistance from Sébastien Loeb and Daniel Elena, who arrived on scene just after the incident. Forced to wait for their assistance crew to arrive, the French duo hope to make repairs and continue on to the Balkhash bivouac.
Muira and Lichtleuchter take T2 honours

The T2 category was won by Akira Muira and Laurent Lichtleuchter in a ToyotaVDJ200 ahead of the class winners the past two days, Aleksandr Terentiev and Alexey Berkut in a Ford Ranger F150. Konstantin Ivanov and Alexsandr Gorkov in a Toyota LC200 were third among the production based competitors.

Trucks: Van Den Brink wins with 2 nd best time overall!

Martin Van Den Brink overtook 30 cars and 8 trucks in his Renault K520 to triumph in the truck category. It was a nip and tuck battle between the Dutchman and Airat Mardeev for most of the stage, with the advantage to the Russian. But in the final 100kms the turbo in the N° 306 Kamaz broke and the crew limped to the finish to finish a 39’46” to Van Den Brink, whose time would have placed him runner-up in the car category. Eduard Nikolaev was second, at 09’08” and saw his overall lead cut to 11’42”. Anton Shibalov, Siarhei Viazovich and Andrey Karginov completed the top five.

E. Araiza

Complete results after stage 5 HERE

1. Despres
2. Loeb
3. Yazeed

Meanwhile Damen Jefferies finished this stage in 20th position, 47min 34 seg after the first place Despres, currently sitting in 13th position overall.

Peterhansel is all way at the bottom in position 73.

Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 9.51.01 AM.png

E. Araiza

From Damen facebook:

Stage 5 complete! This was the longest stage we will face durning the rally, and I had one goal at the beginning, to conserve fuel. In stage 4 we got 2.8 mpg we needed 3.9 to make stage 5, so I defiantly had to lighten my foot considerably. Unofficially 20th for the stage 13th overall. Rest assured I will be back on the gas for stage 6, which will lead us to the rest day

13691136_1123284494400075_3834008739569924463_o.jpg

Dirty Harry

I am TOTALLY guessing here, but I wonder how good the road book was today. SPH doesn't have a reputation for overdriving and he and Jean Paul Cottret have more experience opening rally raid stages than anyone I can think of.

E. Araiza

I am TOTALLY guessing here, but I wonder how good the road book was today. SPH doesn't have a reputation for overdriving and he and Jean Paul Cottret have more experience opening rally raid stages than anyone I can think of.
If the road book would be messy I would expect to see more crashes, I think it was completely just a mistake made by Peterhansel

Dirty Harry

If the road book would be messy I would expect to see more crashes, I think it was completely just a mistake made by Peterhansel
But he was the first car on the road. If you see a wadded up Peugeot you probably slow down. :p

Alternately it said that Loeb was right behind him and first on the scene. Was he pushing Peterhansel perhaps???

E. Araiza

But he was the first car on the road. If you see a wadded up Peugeot you probably slow down. :p

Alternately it said that Loeb was right behind him and first on the scene. Was he pushing Peterhansel perhaps???
Maybe, Daniel Elena in facebook mentioned that they had the gas pedal stuck when they saw Peterhansel xD

Dirty Harry

Thanks for the photos Klaus. At least in this area it doesn't look off piste at all. I can see how being on two track can lull you into a false sense of security and make you driver faster than you would in say, dunes.