The Golden Dunes - 07/18/2016

Screen Shot 2016-07-16 at 12.31.57.png

Distance:
Road section: 290 km
Special: 384 km
2nd Road section: 45 km

Schedule:
Cars will start the
road section at 07:00 (18:00 PST on 07/17/2016)
special at 10:35 (21:35PST on 07/17/2016)

Timezone:
UTC+8 / CST (China standard time) / 15 hours ahead of current Pacific Time.
[parsehtml]
<iframe src="https://freesecure.timeanddate.com/clock/i5aa94f8/n33/tt0/tw0/tm1/ts1/tb4" frameborder="0" width="87" height="34"></iframe>

[/parsehtml]

Links:
Silk Way Rally 2016. Moscow - Beijing
Official Entry List
Live Results

Tracking:
[parsehtml]
<iframe id="_c_" src="http://dagobah.iritrack.net/tdcom/eviewer/swr16" style="height: 700px;width:100%"></iframe>[/parsehtml]

GEO_DXB

Reaction
And there you have it.

4 KAMAZ in Top-5 trucks at SS9 finish, VDBrink is 5th. Karginov still in the dunes after he rolled. One MAZ rolled and had a fire but made it into the biv.

Lots of videos on facebook and here's a press release:

S9 – ÜRÜMQI-HAMI “The golden dunes” 719,55 kms
TERRAIN: 55% tracks (gravel and sand) – 45% off-road (sand and vegetation)
ALTITUDE : 58-974m

Despres and Castera conquer the sweltering heat and first dunes of the 2016 Silk Way Rally, while Airat Mardeev took the win to close up to the back bumper of category leader Martin Van Den Brink.

What to remember

°The highs and the lows
°T2 : Muira and Lichtleuchter extend lead
°Game on between VDB, Mardeev and Sotnikov
°Tomorrow : “The track of caves”

Temperatures on stage 9, Ürümqi – Hami, of the 2016 Silk Way Rally reached 45° Celsius as the competitors passed by one of the lowest points on Earth, at the dry Lake Ayding, in the Turpan- Hami Depression. Cyril Despres and David Castera (Peugeot DKR 2008) set best time to push their overall lead to 12’17” from second in the stage, Sébastien Loeb and Daniel Elena. The nine-time world rally champions lost nearly 10 minutes digging out of the sand, but recovered to finish second on the day at 05’19”to the leaders.

Stéphane Peterhansel and Jean-Paul Cottret in the third French entry completed the day’s podium at 08’29” Yazeed Al Rahji and Timo Glottschalk, were fourth at 11’40” to move past, fellow MINI competitors, Vladimir Vasilyev and Konstantin Zhilstov into third overall. Harry Hunt and Adreas Schulz completed the Top 5 and are now also fifth overall.

T2 At a glance…

Akira Muira and Laurent Lichtleuchter (Toyota VDJ200) extended their lead in T2 with another best time in the category. Denis Berezovskiy and Ignat Falkov finished second at 06’21” and now trail Muira and Lichtleuchter by 53’31” in the general classification.

Game on between VDB, Mardeev and Sotnikov

02”07 is all that separates the top three in the truck category. Airat Mardeev’s Stage 9 victory puts the Russian at 01’41” to overall leader Martin Van Den Brink. Third on the day, Dmitry Sotnikov now trails the Dutchman by 02’07”. Edouard Nikolaev was second on the stage, while Anton Shibalov made it a Kamaz-Master sweep of the top four positions. Van Den Brink lost a bundle of time after the dunes. The Renault went into safety mode as to not overheat the motor, but completed the Top 5 at 28’51”.

Tomorrow :

Stage 10 of the 2016 Silk Way Rally, between Hami and Dunhuang (525,24 km with 340,40 km of special stage) will be another scorcher featuring dirt tracks, wadi crossings and canyons with plenty of stones along the side of the tracks to pay attention to. And the days timed sector will peak at close to 2,000 metres above sea level.

E. Araiza

Reaction
ETAPE 9 – INTERVIEWS

“A win on every other special stage”
Cyril Despres (Driver, Peugeot DKR2008 n°104) :

“There was a little bit of stress at the start of the special stage with the dunes just after we set off. What tyre pressure to set? How do we get through the dunes? Former motorcycle riders, like me, are used to taking them straight on. Everything went well and when we saw Al Rahji come out of the dunes and that Séb got stuck, we knew we had already picked up 4 minutes. It was more complicated after that. We were in front for 150kms, which wasn’t easy, because you don’t drive at the same pace. But if someone had told I would win 4 of the first 8 stages of the rally, I wouldn’t have believed them. We have had a good strategy since the start and I must admit to have Stéphane behind us as out rapid assistance is quite a relief.”

“We thought it was over “
Sébastien Loeb (Driver, Peugeot DKR2008 n°102) :

“Everything went okay in the erg, up until the last big dune. Al Rahji braked hard on the top of a dune, I slowed down and the car stopped on the summit. We took the jack out to move the car, but it wouldn’t budge and we thought that was it…But Stéphane and Jean-Paul arrived very quickly and got us out of this mess. We then pushed hard to limit the damage. I think anything can still happen. But we know that eventually the time will come to think about guaranteeing a Peugeot on-two at Beijing.”

“We were useful”
Stéphane Peterhansel (Pilote, Peugeot DKR2008 n100) :

“We ran close to Cyril who lost his momentum on a dune, then he headed toward Séb and Daniel who were stuck on a dune. Jean-Paul literally dug a crater around the jack to get it out of the way and put in back in place. It is nice to be useful to our team mates and to all the same set the 3 rd best time.”

“Navigation error”
Yazeed Al Rajhi (Driver, MINI All4 Racing n°103) :

“We got a great start, despite it being difficult to follow the pace of the Peugeots. We lost 3-minutes due to a navigation error. I think we need to aim for the final podium now and wait for a possible problem from one of our rivals.”

“Change of pace”
Andy Schulz (Co-driver, MINI ALL4 Racing n°105):

“Sometimes Harry has a tendency to want to drive too fast when he is battling with other cars. At this point in the rally, we are now in the top five. Now I think it is in our best interest to take the fewest risks possible and our spot in the general classification should head in the right direction as we head to Beijing.”

“A nightmare”
Martin Van Den Brink (Driver, Renault ‘Sherpa’ K520 n°301) :

“We were really good in the dunes. But then it was a nightmare. In the 30kms of fesh-fesh that came after the dunes, my truck couldn’t go faster than 80kph. The Kamazs left me like I was standing still! We have to finally get this engine cooling problem fixed because the rest of the rally could be even more demanding than it was today.”

“Exhaust problem”
Anton Shibalov (Driver, Kamaz n°303) :

“We were forced to stop 30km from the finish to fix a broken exhaust line. The heat melted a flexi line on the air intake system. That cost us more than 15 minutes.”

«Hard physically”
Airat Mardeev (Driver, Kamaz n°306) :

“The stage suited us perfectly: sand and suns, but it was really tough physically due to the heat. At some place it was 55° outside and even hotter inside the cab! The air-conditioning was broken from the start and the ventilation was blowing hot air. We finished the stage in slow-mode because I was wiped out and I was afraid I would make a mistake. Today, was tougher than yesterday but a lot nicer…”

Dirty Harry

Reaction
It seems like the more technical the course is, the better Despres and Castera do. This was the case at Dakar as well. Where the opposite is true for Loeb and Elena. They are still learning how to deal with big dunes and lack of a road. When (if?) they do, look out!

Short Bus

Reaction
Despres seems to be coming around as a 4-wheel driver.

Loeb was stuck in the sand for supposedly 10 minutes, but still managed to be down only 5 minutes for the stage. He is fast when he is moving. This stage looks like it started in dunes and then finished on desert trails.

The SS started on the left at that erg and continued to the east in this screen shot.

silkerg.JPG

42°46'11.1"N 89°51'49.7"E

Dirty Harry

Reaction
Loeb was stuck in the sand for supposedly 10 minutes, but still managed to be down only 5 minutes for the stage. He is fast when he is moving. This stage looks like it started in dunes and then finished on desert trails.

I think that it is more of a navigation issue with Elena than a driving issue with Loeb, although he has admitted to being overwhelmed in the dunes. Shows a lot of class to stick with the navigator you have been with for so many years even when things aren't going your way.

spalind

Reaction
that is some great terrain, wish it was for longer and more days...

trophygoat

Reaction
I think Despres has an advantage being a winning rally raid competitor on a motorcycle... kind of like in desert racing how we say some of the greatest drivers were once riders. Helps when reading terrain in the distance. Peterhansel brings that edge too

Dirty Harry

Reaction
So Nani Roma is in a Toyota now and Yazeed is in a Mini. Which team do you think came out better in that deal?

trophygoat

Reaction
I think Roma is the better driver but I think Mini came out on the better end (what Geo said)