• Forum membership has its advantages....

2016 Silkway Rally

Klaus

Administrator
Today is the final of 2 days of tech inspection and check-ins. There will be official press conferences and a ceremonial podium start/presentation of all competitors.

We will promote a new daily forum thread for each day/stage and post everything we can find on the internets within each days thread similar to what we have done in the past with Dakar.

spalind

Today is the final of 2 days of tech inspection and check-ins. There will be official press conferences and a ceremonial podium start/presentation of all competitors.

We will promote a new daily forum thread for each day/stage and post everything we can find on the internets within each days thread similar to what we have done in the past with Dakar.
Awesome!

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

E. Araiza

Meanwhile in instagram the Silkway official rally account is posting lots of photos of whats happening over there... Seeing the combination of the Red Square and Off-road it's absolutely beautiful.

Klaus

Administrator
We where just wondering about Nassar not racing the Silkway Rally but he is probably committed to the Olympics.

13498079_891402804339317_3908756863201203177_o.jpg

GEO_DXB

Just a quick recap of the first couple of days at SilkWay Rally 2016.

Myself and fellow RDCer Limitless (Robbie) decided it was a great idea to see the start of the rally in Moscow. Rob planned his holidays in Russia and the Baltic countries while I took some time off work to make sure I show him around Moscow for a few days.

On the first day of the rally we met at Red Square where the parc ferme and ceremonial start are located. It was early afternoon and cars started coming in by the time we had a few beers and walked around.

iphone 878.JPG

Artur Ardavicius's Tatra Jamal was in as well as the other Bonver Project Dakar Team Tatra and they had a nice fotoshoot opportunity against an amazing backdrop

iphone 894.JPG
iphone 891.JPG

We had a good chat with Artur and as nice as he is I now have a new cap (and not a flat cap!!!) of Astana Racing! Just as insight - he wants to push it hard and fight for a good result and thinks the race will really start in Chinese deserts. Good Luck to him!

Myself and Limitless had a nice few pics too:

iphone 884.JPG

Aldo Racing Overdrive Toyota:

iphone 879.JPG

A few more trucks came over - KAMAZ had 1 or 2, Vasiliev in a Mini, an older X-Raid BMW X5 with Russian plates, a few other cars. They all came from scruteneering and administrative checks and stayed at park ferme overnight for the ramp and ceremonial start on Friday afternoon.

GEO_DXB

We then decided to try our luck at the bivouac and scruteneering which were located at the Luzhniki Sports Complex built for the 1980 Summer Olympics. The main structure is the 80'000 seater football (as in soccer) stadium that is being now refurbished for the World Cup. The biv and the checks were all around the structure.

We had no badges or any kind of bracelets given out to competitors, but speaking english and looking like we were part of the whole thing we went around undisturbed and met some friends and saw some of the competitors.

iphone 900.JPG
iphone 901.JPG

I think the buggys is MD Rally 3.0 VW turbodiesel.

The well know Boucou assistance trucks - I think they have around 4-6 of them here

iphone 902.JPG

Herve Cotel's LS3-powered buggy, an older one which Cotel co-drives. He is a famous 80's and 90s buggy builder including doing a 4x4 buggy
iphone 904.JPG

GEO_DXB

Ex-Mathieu Serradori Predator. 4.0 Nissan V6, 4 speed sequential Mendeola. Rest is fairly standard. Cosworth electronics and dash, upgraded King shocks, slightly different rear cargo boxes, rest is standard. I do think mine built by Limitless is waaaaaay more advanced
iphone 911.JPG
iphone 913.JPG
iphone 915.JPG

GEO_DXB

iphone 919.JPG
iphone 931.JPG
iphone 933.JPG
iphone 958.JPG
Mammoet Renault trucks - one with race sequential gearbox. You can also have a look at the inside of the rear box. When these go next to you it is really intimidating.

GEO_DXB

iphone 941.JPG
iphone 940.JPG
iphone 939.JPG

Peugeot setup at the bivouac - sorry for picture quality and composition, it was seriously pissing down from the sky and we all wanted to get somewhere dry and nice. Notic ewhat looks like a T5 truck (or maybe it is smth specialized like shocks truck)

GEO_DXB

I did not want to create another thread before Klaus does this, so I think best to post here. SS8 and Yazeed is getting at it (from SWR facebook page):

SS8 ‪#‎Top5‬ ‪#‎Cars‬ on the finish
1 Al Rahji 03:10:24
2 Loeb +00:00:31
3 Peterhansel +00:00:55
4 Despres +00:04:19
5 Vasilyev +00:05:09

Trucks led by Mammoet Renault long nose with around 5min over KAMAZ, but KAMAZ boys say they are happy and know when to hit the gas pedal!