2017 Baja 1000 Co-Drivers Needed

desertspeed

Reaction
I have had plans to race the 50th anniversary of the Baja 1000 for several years. My very first Baja race was the 2000 and it was an experience I will never forget. I raced with some friends pretty regularly from 2000-2010, but kids and life has kept us away from racing lately. However, I always knew that I didn’t want to miss this year.

Due to family obligations my co-driver recently told me he had to back out. We were both planning on staying in the truck the whole time, so I hadn’t approached anyone else about it. I’ve got a few people that want to ride for a section or two, but I still need to find some additional co-drivers, and more importantly some help chasing. I plan on using BFG pits for fuel/tires, but obviously the more help the better.

So here is what I am offering- if anyone is interested in participating in the 50th anniversary of the Baja 1000 as a co-driver/navigator, I have some open spots. You will need to cover your own expenses while in Baja, buy a SCORE membership, provide your own helmet/safety equipment, and most importantly provide some sort of chase support for your section. I don’t care if it is a fully set up chase truck or a clapped out 1984 Toyota pickup with a missing bed. As long as you have a race radio and can get out to the course if needed, that counts. If you were planning on going down to the race as a spectator anyways and want an opportunity to be in the race for a minimal cost, this deal is for you.

Here is my truck: H&M 4WD Supercrew Build . It is going through a front-end rebuild at the moment but will be ready to go in plenty of time. I will likely race in Sportsman, and the whole goal is to finish and have an incredible experience.

If anyone is interested, please respond here or send me a PM and I will get you my contact info. I have been going to Baja for more than 25 years and have raced/chased multiple Baja 1000s. Until the course map comes out I won’t know which specific sections are available, but I want to start putting together a list of interested people. I am not asking for a 100% commitment at this point, but please don’t sign up unless you are pretty sure you will be able to make it.

Please feel free to post up any questions in this thread-

Reaction
Hi desertspeed -

Myself as well as a couple buddies might have some interest, if nothing else, we are planning on being down for the 50th. Feel free to DM me.

C O-58

Reaction
I would love to be part of this adventure. I have knowledge, experience, and equipment. I have a van and truck that are equipped for chasing. I'm sure I could round up a couple of buddies to help out. DM me so I can get you my contact info.

desertspeed

Reaction
I would love to be part of this adventure. I have knowledge, experience, and equipment. I have a van and truck that are equipped for chasing. I'm sure I could round up a couple of buddies to help out. DM me so I can get you my contact info.

DM sent

desertspeed

Reaction
I have had a lot of people contact me about this so far, some who want to co-drive, some who are offering to help out with chasing, etc.. Thanks for all of the responses and I will take all of the help I can get!

To keep things fair I am creating a list of people who have expressed interest, in the order they "signed up". Once we get closer and I start figuring out logistics I will go down the list in order in regards to picking out specific sections. We are a long way out still and plans will change for people, so please keep contacting me if you are interested.

desertspeed

Reaction
Never mind, I can't go back and edit the original post, so here's the list so far:

1. William Thier
2. Ken Dubs
3. Norm Come
4. Somer McElvain
5. Chris Tobin
6. Pahl McAllister
7. Christian Scholte
8. Baylen Trafton
9. Jordan
10. Nick Larraga
11. Kevin Kolman
12. Scott Redish

If you haven't sent me an email with your contact information yet, please do so.

IRONGOOK

Reaction
Posted to your profile. Very interested. And I know its not free.

CrzyG

Reaction
I have had plans to race the 50th anniversary of the Baja 1000 for several years. My very first Baja race was the 2000 and it was an experience I will never forget. I raced with some friends pretty regularly from 2000-2010, but kids and life has kept us away from racing lately. However, I always knew that I didn’t want to miss this year.

Due to family obligations my co-driver recently told me he had to back out. We were both planning on staying in the truck the whole time, so I hadn’t approached anyone else about it. I’ve got a few people that want to ride for a section or two, but I still need to find some additional co-drivers, and more importantly some help chasing. I plan on using BFG pits for fuel/tires, but obviously the more help the better.

So here is what I am offering- if anyone is interested in participating in the 50th anniversary of the Baja 1000 as a co-driver/navigator, I have some open spots. You will need to cover your own expenses while in Baja, buy a SCORE membership, provide your own helmet/safety equipment, and most importantly provide some sort of chase support for your section. I don’t care if it is a fully set up chase truck or a clapped out 1984 Toyota pickup with a missing bed. As long as you have a race radio and can get out to the course if needed, that counts. If you were planning on going down to the race as a spectator anyways and want an opportunity to be in the race for a minimal cost, this deal is for you.

Here is my truck: H&M 4WD Supercrew Build . It is going through a front-end rebuild at the moment but will be ready to go in plenty of time. I will likely race in Sportsman, and the whole goal is to finish and have an incredible experience.

If anyone is interested, please respond here or send me a PM and I will get you my contact info. I have been going to Baja for more than 25 years and have raced/chased multiple Baja 1000s. Until the course map comes out I won’t know which specific sections are available, but I want to start putting together a list of interested people. I am not asking for a 100% commitment at this point, but please don’t sign up unless you are pretty sure you will be able to make it.

Please feel free to post up any questions in this thread-
Hi I am very interested but I need to know what I actually have to do and I would be willing to do the full length of the race but I have no race experience and I have no idea of what to sign up or where or any regulations but I know I could drive and I could probably guide you pretty good also have worked as a mechanic couple year for a range Rover body shop so I could be your chase truck driver if anything if you have a chaser yourself...

If not I can figure out a chase truck I have a 2 wheel drive chevy 1500 but I have a few friends with 4x4s

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

desertspeed

Reaction
Posted to your profile. Very interested. And I know its not free.

I didn't see anything, so send me a dm with your contact info and i will shoot you an email.

I have had several people ask, but I am not really looking for cash, just help with chasing. I am on a budget too so everyone will need to cover their own expenses, but if we can pull this off tacos and pacificos are on me in la paz

Also, just so there is no confusion, I am planning on driving the entire race. I am looking for navigators/passengers. That may change 27 hours in , but for now I am going to try to go the distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

desertspeed

Reaction
Hi I am very interested but I need to know what I actually have to do and I would be willing to do the full length of the race but I have no race experience and I have no idea of what to sign up or where or any regulations but I know I could drive and I could probably guide you pretty good also have worked as a mechanic couple year for a range Rover body shop so I could be your chase truck driver if anything if you have a chaser yourself...

If not I can figure out a chase truck I have a 2 wheel drive chevy 1500 but I have a few friends with 4x4s

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Send me a message on here or start a conversation on my profile with your contact info and i will send you an email.

desertspeed

Reaction
Not interested in competing but we will be in Loreto for a couple weeks before and after the race. If you need local help let me know

Sent from the RDC gtmMobile App. Get it for l your IOS device todayhufjjkdhhkbkmumrtzkrjlm fhtdiy

Thanks, i may take you up on that. Keep an eye on this thread as we get closer and start figuring out logistics.

JaysinDesignz

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
You plan on ironmaning the entire race? You do know this one is going to be over 1000 miles.

sydude

Reaction
Website
www.gpny.com
PM sent.

desertspeed

Reaction
You plan on ironmaning the entire race? You do know this one is going to be over 1000 miles.

Well according to this Settle an argument for me please!! I am not sure what I am planning on doing.......

But yes, I plan on driving the entire race. I have done longer in both the 2000 and 2007 races, but that was mostly chasing. My longest non-stop drive is 56 hours. I am hoping having a windshield and A/C/heat will help with the fatigue.