• Forum membership has its advantages....

2017 Baja 1000 course 50th running

El Mamito USMC

gps files are up

rboyer

there is no doubt this will be an epic race. i wont be racing this year ... but will be in Calamuje the night of the race. (what some of you call frog canyon) .... 6 to 8 of us with tools and jacks and radios, at the beginning of the canyon. will be monitoring weatherman and have 2 side by sides that can enter for assistance. Ill have the bronco but because of its size don't think it should enter for the safety of other racers. good times!

rboyer

there is no doubt this will be an epic race. i wont be racing this year ... but will be in Calamuje the night of the race. (what some of you call frog canyon) .... 6 to 8 of us with tools and jacks and radios, at the beginning of the canyon. will be monitoring weatherman and have 2 side by sides that can enter for assistance. Ill have the bronco but because of its size don't think it should enter for the safety of other racers. good times!
Hey TR Thanks for going in the Wash, I hope we all get through there, I have been stuck in there twice 2006, 2010 Its guys like you that really help our sport out in tuff spots.

Cooprey

Border crossing update. They are being intense at the Mexicali crossing. We have 2 spares mounted on wheels in the bed of the raptor for pre run Support and they are making me pay tax on one of them. They dig through everyone’s gear bags and the cooler. They seem unconcerned with the race.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Team Rivera

Border crossing update. They are being intense at the Mexicali crossing. We have 2 spares mounted on wheels in the bed of the raptor for pre run Support and they are making me pay tax on one of them. They dig through everyone’s gear bags and the cooler. They seem unconcerned with the race.

what did that end up costing you?

AZFR8TRAIN

Tecate crossing last year cost us 300 for spares and transmission. San Diego. Was all good went right thru. No issues but had to x Ray. Took only few minutes. They let you sit in truck. No no just kidding about sitting in truck during x Ray.

Cooprey

what did that end up costing you?
40 bucks for a spare tire. They tried to charge me 1000 pesos at first until I asked what the hell they were basing that on. The damn tire isn’t worth that much. A few rounds of “I’ll roll that damn tire back across the border and leave it there just to spite you” and we settled on 40.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

Mooch2Peril

40 bucks for a spare tire. They tried to charge me 1000 pesos at first until I asked what the hell they were basing that on. The damn tire isn’t worth that much. A few rounds of “I’ll roll that damn tire back across the border and leave it there just to spite you” and we settled on 40.

Saved about 4 dollars in that heated negotiation.

Cooprey

Saved about 4 dollars in that heated negotiation.
$18. But it’s the principal. We are part of a huge group of people coming down to celebrate the beauty of their country (by blasting across it in race cars) and inject **** tons of money into their economy. Don’t tax us on a used tire mounted on a rim and strapped into a rack. I’m obviously not selling it.

vegasloki

In the big scheme of things the economic impact on Mexico for all the SCORE races is a rounding error. Particularly given the political climate and attitude toward Mexico. SCORE and your vendors are getting a good hunk of your budget. While places like Ensenada and La Paz are doing well from the extra cash the contribution in a trillion dollar economy doesn't blip the radar. Just like the US they have immigration and customs laws and if you want to go there you'll need to follow the law. Expect it to get worse before it gets better.

Baja Bryan

I just loaded the Course map from Score into leadnav. Anyone else’s look like this or did I do something wrong? I’ve loaded other Course maps before following same instructions and it didn’t do this, so I want to check here first before going to SCORE. Thank you View attachment 185030

Yes its actually kinda nice. Score put the Hwy, Paved access, and dirt access for chase trucks all on the map.. If you open in google earth or put on lowrance you can see the different colors. If you put on lead nave its little confusing because its all one color.. It would be nice if leadnav could change color of the tracks. You can only change color or routes. If you convert these to routes it adds all kinds of crazy lines..

B1K 2017 KMZ

Best file format on google maps is .KMZ it saves the different colors.

Mooch2Peril

Yes its actually kinda nice. Score put the Hwy, Paved access, and dirt access for chase trucks all on the map.. If you open in google earth or put on lowrance you can see the different colors. If you put on lead nave its little confusing because its all one color.. It would be nice if leadnav could change color of the tracks. You can only change color or routes. If you convert these to routes it adds all kinds of crazy lines..

B1K 2017 KMZ

Best file format on google maps is .KMZ it saves the different colors.
Makes a lot of sense now, thanks for this bit of info.

Chainguide

i just ran the course from Ojos to San Felipe. It was fast and fun. All the usual stuff but the new sections that eliminate some of the hwy miles are super fun too.

ACME

Has anyone emailed or mentioned these issues to SCORE? Posting on here helps with your frustration but won't help your chase guys going through Mexicali or Tecate that are trying to avoid the Ensenada madness and will get hit with additional costs while trying to support their teams...

dirtykid

In anyone's experience: if we were to make a rider change in San Felipe, could that chase truck keep up with the bike the rest of the race/ have any chance of catching up at some point? We are guessing a 35 mph average for the bike. It seems plausible to me given how much of highway 5 is paved now, but I've never done it.

Again any help is appreciated.

y2kbaja

At 35 mph your bike should arrive in SF (rm 190) about 6am. TT's shouldn't be there until 1pm. That's a huge window. You would probably miss your rider at El Crucero (RM 340) and wouldn't see them again until Vizcaino (rm 525). Could you move the pit closer to Puertocitos (rm 290)? It's more probable to catch up

Cooprey

In anyone's experience: if we were to make a rider change in San Felipe, could that chase truck keep up with the bike the rest of the race/ have any chance of catching up at some point? We are guessing a 35 mph average for the bike. It seems plausible to me given how much of highway 5 is paved now, but I've never done it.

Again any help is appreciated.

The last 22 miles of 5 before it hits the 1 are unpaved and rough in spots. A raptor (or equivalent) chase truck could get through there quick and safe but it was slow going for the f350 (a lot of tooth rattling washboard and rocks). There is also going to be the checkpoint at Coco’s and probably a ton of chase and spectator traffic going through there. So they would maybe be able to catch up (best guess is by road crossing at rm520) but we beat our chase f350 from cocos to rm 340 by an hour... at night... with no road traffic (raptor went through frog cyn with the rzrs).

JDDurfey

I believe if the chase truck goes south on highway 5 it will be able to catch up. Back when the road was dirt the whole way and the road was the race course the whole way, chase vehicles were pretty much not allowed down highway 5.

I don't know SCORE's position on it, but I don't see how they can keep chase vehicles from using it. Now, I would not plan on that same vehicle doing a pit at El Crucero or Bay of LA, because the road from Coco's to Chapala will slow the chase truck down. The chase truck might beat the bike, but I would not take a chance on it.

Along those same lines...a bike will beat a chase truck from Bay of LA to Viscaino without any problem, day or night. The race course is faster for a race vehicle than a chase truck can make the drive on the highway.