• Forum membership has its advantages....

2017 Baja 1000 Stories and Finish thoughts

nickybobby333

I wanted to start a new thread for the moto guys to spread some love! Since this was such a huge race for everybody, I don't want the 4 wheels to overshadow the handlebar guys!. Lets see some pictures, video, carnage, victory, etc...

And of course I would love to hear from fellow moto guys on RDC on their thoughts of the 1x finish. I saw a bunch of back and forth on Instagram over the weekend, but I would like to hear from my RDC buddies who, like me, have some knowledge into what this race is actually about and could put yourself in their shoes or situation. I hate seeing trash talk all over social media from people who have no idea where Baja even is on a map and on a event that takes years to plan and one stupid idea that took 15 seconds to ruin.

I put myself on both sides of the court on this one. Yes very frickin stupid to do come in that hot when the checkered flag has already clinched your win, and people were hurt and sent to the hospital. If I was standing there and then all of the sudden my legs are taken out and broken unexpectedly, than yes, I would be really pissed off at the carelessness of this competitor.

On the other hand, this team came down from 30+ minutes with less than 300 miles to go (and trailing basically the entire race) to claim the 50th Baja 1000 win! How do you not get excited and rip a wheelie to the finish, showing you are the baddest team in two wheel off road racing! You cant contain that excitement and you also have no thought into the ramp being slippery or not after your team has been competing for almost 24 hours. I think a 30 minute penalty is pretty harsh, but then again, people were injured and it was pretty reckless.

Lets hear it

Dlock5

Let me ask you a question, how did they catch up?. Did 45x just get tired or crash or have mechanical problems?. Or is 1x that good?. I have to admit, I was pulling for 45x because their in my age group. And it would've been cool to see them win it straight up.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

nickybobby333

Let me ask you a question, how did they catch up?. Did 45x just get tired or crash or have mechanical problems?. Or is 1x that good?. I have to admit, I was pulling for 45x because their in my age group. And it would've been cool to see them win it straight up.

I am with you and was wanting the same thing. I watched and tracked all day and night rooting for the 45x to keep pulling away and to finish out front undisputed. Without going into conspiracy theories, I do not know how 1x was able to catch up and pass.

That is a little of what has me addicted to racing in Mexico, is that 95% of the racing is unknown or blind. When we take off from a pit and head into the desert, only you and your vehicle knows exactly what is going on throughout the whole race. We can have the best live feed coverage, hundreds of cameras all over the course, and there is still no way there can be coverage for 1134 miles. Unless 45x comes out and states they had issues that made them run at a slower pace or stop, we will never know.

With that being said, I am going to give the 1x team the benefit of the doubt and I believe they were on the hammer for the end of the race, and 45x started to gas out. At the end of the day, it is 1100 miles and anything can happen. They are the best in Baja right now.

MXShea

MX know-it-all
I agree, and I’d be pissed if a loved one or myself was injured. Something should be done...but in my opinion, it should be along the lines of a fine or future suspension for the individual.

Penalizing the team is punitive.
The discipline should be corrective and aimed at the young rider.

But I know a lot of people are happier to see 1x lose than “justice” or corrective action anyways.

My 2 cents.

What I heard Is that 45x had some problems with the transmission from Loreto to La Paz aprox....

EZinAZ

2017 Baja 1000
November 14-18 2017
1134.4 miles

Bike 306x

Back in May of 2017 Jeremy Stevens called me asking me if I was interested in racing in the Baja 1000 this year. It’s the 50th anniversary and I turned 50 this year so it was kind of meant to be.
I said okay,… I’m in. We worked together for the next few months putting a team together and working on logistics. We had a team shake up at the end of July and found ourselves two team members short.
We made a bunch of calls to our friends that have been to Baja trying to find two more racers. After reaching out for a couple weeks and numerous “no’s” I started scrolling through my phone. I was scrolling and then came across Scott Miller. I thought to myself,… why wasn’t he my first phone call?
Scott went to Baja with us last year as we rode some of the most difficult trails in Baja Norte. I called Scott and within a couple minutes he was “IN”! It was that easy! Scott knew we wanted a 4th racer so he made a few calls and we had another racer!
Our team as of September 2017.
1. Scott Miller (Rider of Record Starts the race to San Felipe) (Loreto to Ciudad Insurgentes)
2. Eric Breien (Section from San Felipe to Bay of LA) (Ciudad Insurgentes to Santa Rita)
3. Jeremy Stevens (Bay of LA to San Ignacio) ( Santa Rita to Punto Conejo)
4. Eric Zite (San Ignacio to Loreto) (Punto Conejo to Finish)

Let’s get to the pre-run…
Scott and Eric Breien headed down early to pre-run their sections.
While pre-running Scott melted a bib.
This was just the beginning…

We picked up a handful of UHD tubes to have incase this happened again.
Jeremy and I headed down on November 11th and met the guys in Ensenada.
Went through registration on Sunday, did some final prep on the bike and then headed down to Bay of La where Jeremy’s section begins.
We pulled into the Villa Vitta where were going to stay the night. Was super wired but needed to sleep so I popped an Ambien and turned in for the night.
Note to self,… Never take an Ambien when not at home. You’ll do stupid things....

So Monday morning Jeremy and I set out to prerun his section. We head out of town and start picking up the pace. We’re cruising along and ripping the throttle when I notice Jeremy has stopped.
I go back and find his bib on the outside of his tire. Major problem. This happened 10 miles into his pre-run.

So that’s two tire related issues and the race hasn’t even started….

We muscle the bib back into the tire and tighten the rim lock and head off again.
One mile down the road it comes apart again. We’re screwed…

We’re out of options so I head back to Bay of LA to scrounge up a tube. I ask around town and have no luck but then stop by Guillermo’s as I see some moto guys loading up a trailer. 3 minutes later I’m heading back towards Jeremy with an 18” UHD read tube AND a pump! Moto guys are great.

Get back to Jeremy and we start tearing into his wheel and notice the bead is busted on the tire. Not sure if this happened while installing the bib initially or while the tire came off the wheel.
We installed the tube and mounted up the tire.

Headed back to BofLA in search of a tire. We stop at a local tire shop and he tells us about a moto guys who lives nearby. We go searching and find his house but he’s not home. However his wife is home and she’s super helpful. She calls the guy and he basically says “take what you need and leave the money you think is fair” We find a used tire in good shape, use all his tools, and mount the “new to us tire” and then head back out on our prerun!

The rest of the prerun goes without incident despite hitting a nasty siltbed at 60mph and almost dying.

We hook up with Chase 2 (Jeremy’s family) and load up for them to take me down to San Ignacio where my race section begins. They drop me off and head back to BofLA. I settle into my room in the Desert Inn San Ignacio Hotel and start planning my prerun tomorrow. This hotel is fantastic and almost the twin of the hotel in Catavina.

I wake up Tuesday the morning of the 14th to head out solo to prerun my 225 mile race section. I gear up, put extra gas in my saddlebags and head out.
I’m following my GPS and having a great time. I come up to a water crossing. It looks deep and I’m solo on a moto in the middle of nowhere so I stop and look for a bypass.

As I’m scouting for a line another moto guy on a Honda comes out and cuts a line around the water like he’s done it before.
I use his same line and it is perfect.

I am having a great time and getting close to San Juanico (Scorpion Bay).

The speeds I am riding at are insane!

You get comfortable at such high speeds you forget how fast you are actually going and I came into some corners WAAAAYYYYY faster than I should have and blew more than one.

The trail is fast and flowy with some loose nasty rock sections. I pull into town and see the same Honda guy who showed me the line around the water. I flag him down and ask him if he knows where I can get gas. We start talking then I realize he’s 3 x riders Bryce Oxley. Super nice guy who points me to gas as he heads off to finish his loop.

I find the gas shack and load up of fuel. It’s hot,… I think it’s in the 90’s.

I hit the local store and buy some water because I’m about out. On the way out I once again get hit up for stickers by the local kids. I’m out of stickers but I loaded up on race bracelets. One little kid looked sad so I gave him one. I told the teenage girls with him I was out as I like to give them to little kids. As they were walking away I saw one of the girls take the bracelet from the little boy. I shouted over to there and told her it was for the little boy and that she should come back to me. I gave her a bracelet so she would let the little boy keep his. Now the other teenage girl was looking sad as she didn’t get anything. I got her attention and called her over and gave her my LAST bracelet. She was friendly and they were as happy as they skipped away.

I left the store and headed to the beach to see the famous Scorpion Bay. It was beautiful with long rights peeling off and going on forever.

I’ll have to get back here someday but today I’m here to MOTO!

I head off on the race course towards LaPurisma. Lots of cool water crossings, hard embedded rock and loose rocks as I go through the mountains.

As I come into La Purisma the kids must be getting out of school and they are high fiving me by the dozens. One kid winds up and hive five’s me and about breaks my hand. I look back and he’s shaking his hand like a Polaroid picture. After that I stopped slapping hands with the kids and just did wheelies through town instead.
The next stage of my prerun was smooth and a blast…. Until I got into the silt around race mile 790-800. As I pull up prerunners are sprawled out everywhere. A couple of the Banning guys recommended that I avoid the silt beds but since I’d have to hit the VCP during the race I push on through it. It’s not so bad after all and I head off towards Loreto. The last section into Loreto has everything,… rocky tight twisty hills, rocky washes, silt beds and some fast flowy two track. This section is fun but I think it’s going to get torn up over the next few days.

I pull into Loreto and get gas. Sitting there I’m trying to find a ride back to San Ignacio but everyone is staying the night or heading south. So,… I head out on the moto and start up the highway. The weather is getting nice and the sun in getting low so I have to get on the move. I make it back to San Ignacio and see that I’ve logged 405 miles for the day. I’m tired but have the day off tomorrow as I won’t see the bike on race day until Thursday afternoon.

Wednesday is a chill day so I head down to the square in San Ignacio and check out the Mission.

While there I run into Bryce Oxley again and we talk for a bit and meet his dad. What a great bunch of guys!
The mission is an amazing building that’s been around since around 1786. I spend a couple hours at the Mission and walking around the local square. It’s warm so I grab some ice cream before heading back to the hotel.

Race day is upon us.
My buddy Tom who is Chase 3 arrived today and brought my wife with him. It’s nice to have Gina here for her first time in Baja. We grab some dinner and make it an early night. I’m riddled with anxiety and have to force myself to go to sleep.
I wake up at 2am and check Scott’s tracker. He’s moving and the race is on. I go back to bed and try to sleep. CAN’T SLEEP. I watch the tracker for a bit until I nod off again. I wake up and grab breakfast with Tom and Gina. We’re getting messages that Eric Breien is having issue with the rear tire and is limping into meeting Jeremy. Jeremy hops in his Prerunner and heads out to meet Eric early on the course and change a rear tire. Jeremy hops on and starts heading my way. I’m going crazy with anxiety and trying to chill while waiting for my turn on the bike.
Jeremy has some epic silt on the last portion of his first leg and hope he comes in with the bike in one piece.

I am going crazy waiting for the bike and can't sit still.
I keep going to the chase truck and checking the tracker...

Well,… he shows up and the bike is BEAT.

The subframe is broken, Stella is broken, GPS is broken and both the foot shifter and rear brake lever have been replaced. Duct tape is everywhere and there is an inner tube taped to the rear fender.

Jeremy tells me I should change the rear wheel but I was confident it would hold out.
This was a huge mistake!
I need to listen to my team members.
I screwed the whole team by doing this.

My wife GZ telling me to ride smart as I'm about to head off on my first section...

I hop on the bike and head out on a 20 mile pavement section before I hit the dirt.

I am over psyched and use this speed zone to calm down and eat some calories. I follow the signs and hit the dirt. It’s on now and I’m ripping pretty good. I come up on the deep water crossing and there is a huge crowd! Hundreds of people waiting for the carnage. I love disappointing them as I take the bypass around the water and literally ride through the crowds as they part like the sea for Israel. I pick up the pace but careful to avoid the hazards I remember from my prerun. I’m laying down the miles and approaching San Jacinto. This is a high-speed section and I’m getting up to 80+mph in the dark. I feeling great, the bike is pulling like a rhino on steroids, and I’m passing guys left and right. I’m feeling optimistic as I make the left turn from San Juanico heading towards LaPurisma.
As I’m clicking off miles I feel the rear end start scooting around. I’m hoping it’s just slick ground but reality tells me the tire is failing. I get into the mountains and start hitting rock sections and it’s obvious the rear bib is done. There’s nothing around me and its pitch black out. I look ahead and see a fire up ahead so I push on to the fire. As I pull up I see a family of around 10 people watching the race. They all run over and see if I need help. My Spanish is VERY limited but they understand I’m going to change a flat so they help out big time. It’s night time in Baja so I am wired up like a Borg from Star Trek. I unplug my hydration line and my helmet lights and start digging in my bag for tools. Two guys hold the bike as I pull off the rear tire and confirm that the bib is done. The family is holding flashlights for me handing me tools as I need them. I pull off one side of the tire and the bib comes out in pieces. Not one piece bigger than 2 inches. Since I’m throwing in a tube I need to pull the tire off the rim and put on some new rim tape. I clean it all up, tape the rim, put the tire back on and pump up the tube. Did I mention that it’s about 80 degrees out and the fog is so bad I can only see about 10ft. The humidity is strong and I’m literally dripping in sweat.

The tire is mounted and holding so I put all the tools away, plug in my lights and plug in my hydration system. I mount the bike and push the started button,…and nothing happens. It won’t start! AHHHHHH come onnnnnn!!!!!!!!

I unplug my light and hydrations system and pull my back pack off again. I pull the jump box out and plug it into the bike. She fires right up! Now I can breathe again. I once again plug my lights and hydration back in and head out. Now I’m riding on tire that has been abused with a tube in it and no spare tube. I ride gingerly for a mile and then just pin it. It’s a rocky nightmare through here but I’m feeling good to be moving again. I hit Baja Pits and pick up some gas and a spare tube then head out again. One mile after Baja pits the rear tire goes flat. It’s darker than dark out so I head back to Baja Pits to do the tube change. I pull in and the pits guys jump into action. These guys are really going at it. My rear tire is done. The side walls are cut from riding the flat tire through the rocks for the last mile. I find a 120x18 Dunlop D739 in good shape lying in a stack of tires. I grab it and we throw it on with a new tube. We are almost done and I’m gearing back up but there’s a hitch,… they can’t find the axle bolt. ? LOL what the heck is going on? We literally spend 5 minutes looking for the axle bolt. Looks like one of the guys carried it off when he went to get a wrench out of the tool box. The axle bolt was in the tool box! WOW,…
I grab another spare tube and strap it through my chest protector and head out!

All these tire issues have cost me hours! But,.. I’ve got a new tire, new tube and a spare tube. I’m good to go.
I head out and work my way towards mile 800 and the silt that I know is there. I just rode this a couple days ago but as I pull in the silt is beyond terrible. I throw caution to the wind and grab a handful and dive in. I hit a silt bed and cross rut the bike as it stalls. It won’t start,… it’s dead. There’s no way I can get the bike out of the rut. Hopefully no one comes along. I once again have to pull the jump box out of my pack to start the bike. I hook it up and ,… no start. It won’t start,… it won’t start,… it won’t start. I unplug the jumper and plug it back in again. This time it starts! Thank you Husqvarna! I gear back up and get going again. Only running one light from now on.

I muscle through the silt and get into the hills and washes before dropping into Loreto. The bike is solid, I’m feeling great so I power into Loreto and give the bike off to Scott for his second leg.
We load up and I hop in Chase 3 and head off to Punto Conejo where I’ll get on the bike for the last time and race the bike into the finish line in LaPaz.
We get to Punto Conejo and can’t find the Baja Pits location so we set up the rider exchange just off the course and wait for Jeremy to come in.
Jeremy comes flying in like a trophy truck is on his tail, but he was so fast he was never passed.
He’s in a great mood and high on adrenalin and asks me if I’d let him take the bike to the finish. I couldn’t do it as I had just pumped myself up and was ready to rip. I hop on the bike and pray there are no trophy trucks chasing me down. It’s amazing how much motivation you can get when you don’t want to be killed by a 5000 pound desert monster.

I stay on the gas and the locals are pumping me up in a way I didn’t think possible. I am in the zone and ripping the fast sections and railing the huge berms built up by the other racers. I’m doing great then I hit “The Steps”. The Steps are not so bad but you have to watch your speed. I made it to the top then started into the HUGE sand whoops down into LaPaz. These whoops are no joke. They suck your energy and destroy your moral.
I made it through and then turned onto pavement. Realization hit me that we had made it. I started to tear up in my goggles. The crowds were crazy and I snapped into celebration mode and started ripping wheelies through LaPaz. I made it to the finish line and wheelied up to the podium coming to a complete stop before going up on the ramp. Roger Norman walks over and kind of gives me crap for the wheelie and then said they had a big accident earlier where people were hurt. I knew nothing about the accident and we were fine so I rode up the ramp for my live interview.

Interview … I have no idea what I said but I hope I didn’t come off like a total goofball.

So I drive down the ramp and I’m looking for my team. No one is there.

They show up a few minutes later and we start taking pics.

We made it!
306x 4th place in 30+pro

nickybobby333

Looks like according to Colton's race report that the Ox guys might be done on two wheels in Mexico. Sad to say, but if they are leaving, it looks like this could be the end of motos in SCORE?