• Forum membership has its advantages....

2017 Big 9 races

T_Petersen

As posted on the Pro 9 Facebook page:

Who would be interested in racing the SNORE Caliente 250 on June 10th?

I want to make this race a big 9 race (along with Lucerne in September) just for the fact that I know a lot of guys want to race it. The kicker would be... the bonus money would go to each racer in class at registration to help with travel/race expenses. We can race for the normal purse from the large car count.

The course was fun last year, the rain was a pain, but still a great place for a race. It has fast, sand, rough, technical, and elevation. Definitely not a sprint race.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

3 Amigos Racing

The Caliente course is pretty cool and different. Closest to Baja style as you may see.

T_Petersen

The Caliente course is pretty cool and different. Closest to Baja style as you may see.
And not nearly as rough as Barstow or Lucerne. Scenery is great.

Think we can get at least 15 cars? I'd like to see 20 minimum. What are some concerns with this race?

BUDMAN975

Bring ponchos and snow jackets. This years snow and rain is going to make for some wet conditions in the northern NV area. Beautiful scenery for sure.

T_Petersen

We need more interest from the class for this to happen. As of right now I cans see about 6 cars being there. This is not going to cut it for a big race.

Who is even thinking about this and what would it take to get you to for sure come out to race?

Gas Cards, hotel room raffle, discounted entry??? What's some other suggestions?

Bro_Gill

"Gas Cards, hotel room raffle, discounted entry??? What's some other suggestions?"

Move the course to somewhere between Vegas, Barstow, and Mexicali?

Grease Weed

If not Caliante, what about the (maybe) point to point SNORE 250. Or? Something a little different would be sweet...

T_Petersen

Move the course to somewhere between Vegas, Barstow, and Mexicali?
Last 4 years it's been in Barstow or Lucerne and I don't think you have races any of them.

2016 - 11 cars (Barstow)
2015 - 11 (Barstow)
2014 - 19 (Lucerne)
2013 - 15 (Lucerne)
2012 - 25 (Barstow)

I chose Caliente because a lot of racers talk about wanting to race it. Desired location + $$$ going to everyone = great racing... Right?

Bro_Gill

Well, in case you guys missed it, the post was somewhat humorous. Read it slowly. And from the looks of things, if you really want to see a lot of 9 cars, maybe hold the race down in Loreto? Just wondering why Caliente, which is farthest away from Sam Diego and Mexico and still not central for any of the California racers be the location. I get the cool track, the different vibe, etc... But if the point is to get as many racers as possible, shouldn't location centralization be an important factor? Anyway, good luck, I always enjoy the 9 car stuff.

HEALD911

I'd like to race caliente but would rather race a little closer. Either way I'm going to try to make it no matter where the race is as long as car count makes it worth the drive
As far as the incentives to travel for this race, gas cards are really helpful as well as lower entry.
At the same time if this is a big 9 race and we're racing for a regular Pot it kinda seems pointless. If I win I wanna win big. I think there needs to be more bonus money up for grabs to get higher car count.
I feel that all the cars that are not racing consistently won't come if we're using all the bonus money for gas cards and lower entry. We see big car count when there a big pot and unfortunately I don't think it's gonna be any different for this race either. I don't think location will be the factor. The cars will follow the money

DDR918

We're all about a big 9 car race. Something like Barstow had years ago with 30+ cars. I think for that type of race, plan it for 2018. I'm with Heald, I don't think the people will turn up in calinte this year, But make it known now for 2018 and people like us (who only race BAP and Rage) will get our stuff together and put it on the schedule (wherever it might be) and start planning it. We would actually make a family vacation out of it. As far as pay back. Make the payback like the 1600's had at BAP....paying good money back to 7th (of course if the numbers supported) Maybe have the gas card for the first person that breaks. If everyone decides to race, we will be there. I don't post on this forum much, but read it all the time (as I know others do as well). So plan the race for next year and have us with interest commit (no excuses) on here and we'll have a race!! I know if you plan it now, 986, 915, and 918 would be there. The cars are out there. We just need them to show up to the same event. My 2 cents......and thanks Tyler for putting in the time for the class. Also, make it a long race!!

Last edited:

T_Petersen

As far as the incentives to travel for this race, gas cards are really helpful as well as lower entry. At the same time if this is a big 9 race and we're racing for a regular Pot it kinda seems pointless. If I win I wanna win big. I think there needs to be more bonus money up for grabs to get higher car count.
I will guarantee that more racers don't care about the bonus because it has never paid back far and they feel they don't have a chance to win it. In 2012, when we had the 25 cars, all the money went to the top three or four cars, bonus going to the top two or three. Car count alone is the biggest interest getter. Racers just want to be apart of the large car counts.

Class 10 didn't have a "big" bonus at Primm, but yet they turned out to be just as large of a class as 1600. Winner paid $4K+ (including $2k for having 20 cars).

Make the payback like the 1600's had at BAP....paying good money back to 7th (of course if the numbers supported) Maybe have the gas card for the first person that breaks.
I wish this would be possible, but why would something like this turn up for a class that probably won't make 15 entries in a race this year (please prove me wrong). They had guaranteed money like that for there consistent big race turnouts and a class sponsor most likely stepped in.

DDR918

2017 is already booked for me. Vacations, mountains, and the fact that we take like 6 months to prep anyways. Plan a big race for 2018 and we will be there. My neighbor is also building a 9 so there would be 4 of us there.

Bro_Gill

Having payback go farther is always a better car puller. Remeber the Real Mint Races? Classes with 30-40 cars had payback into 10th/11th place. It wasn't much, but it was something. Every time I see the guys vote, it always goes down to pay everything to 1st or pay everything to 1-3, even when car counts are in the 40s. Why have gas cards when, if someone can finish 7th and WIN enough to pay for their gas, they would be way cooler with that? When I was racing 9 cars in the '90s shortcourse, we were simply stoked when a 4th or 5th place finish paid back pizza and beer money for the crew. There are other ways to get more people racing and it doesn't involve one race a year.

3 Amigos Racing

Ask the promotor to contribute another 50 per entry into payback on top of his normal, then ask the class to pay another 100 on entry and promotor to collect the extra 100 on the entires and roll it back into payback schedule too.. Yes you pay a little more but the payout is much larger too and further down too. That's how we did it 2009 with 36 entries for a big race push.

T_Petersen

These ideas are good. I'm just going off what I hear for this. Gas cards came up because they are much easier for a business to write off, tax wise. It's basically payback to every car that registers.