• Forum membership has its advantages....

2017 BITD Parker 250

I'm going. The only question for me is which class as I will be riding solo.

The IRONMAN class does a shortened 168mi race while the rest of the classes does the full 250ish.

Can anyone give me some feedback on historic course's speed and technicality?

I don't expect to win, I don't expect to really be all that competitive, but I want to race well and learn as I have some long term racing goals. It seems lame to do a 168mi "250" and I can't get races longer than about 100mi here in Texas so getting in 250mi in one go would be great.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

richzajic

Fun Course, Big Whoops. Lots of Cactus along course. The kind that sticks to you and works it way deeper.
Not super fast course.
The whoops will kick your Ass.

frozenh2o

You can always enter the 3 lap expert team class and ride solo, but keep in mind it's a "grand prix" finish. That means if the race leader finishes 3 laps they throw the checkered flag for everyone. So if the leader laps you while you're on lap 2, your race could be over in 2 laps regardless. You can check the results for last year and see what kind of times the different classes were running.

Fourstroker

You must have forgotten about all of the graded roads. Parker is about as fast as I gets. The wash can be rough or super smooth like it was in 2015. Jeep trail back in is rough for sure. Love racing there. If you want the full 250 miles sign up for a non-Ironman class and just solo. Last year it took me about 3:40 to do the 168 miles and I was 4th in Ironman Ex. If that gives you an idea about speed

You can always enter the 3 lap expert team class and ride solo, but keep in mind it's a "grand prix" finish. That means if the race leader finishes 3 laps they throw the checkered flag for everyone. So if the leader laps you while you're on lap 2, your race could be over in 2 laps regardless. You can check the results for last year and see what kind of times the different classes were running.
I'm familiar with that from crit racing on bicycles, everybody finishes on the leader's lap. I'd like to think I wouldn't get lapped, but I have been wrong before.

Thanks for the help guys. Like I said earlier, I'm wanting to learn and build experience. I just dont want to embarrass myself. (not that it would be the first time...)

trentk

Parker is a pretty quick loop, there is the technical spots in the rock garden and the rocky whoops exiting the rock garden but the rest is fast and smooth washes and "fire" roads. A "normal" racer will enjoy the 2 loops and a pro level loon would probably prefer 3 laps solo.

Hydrate, no sugar(the night before), drink water, take Advil, ride on the balls of feet. And riding 168 miles is tuff no matter what the off-road terrain is, ride 30-60 yards ahead of your line of sight in the faster sections.

Run bibs unless you plan on changing flats.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert
I hate tubes. I've been running Tubliss for a few years on and off road and have been really happy with them. I'd love to give bibs a try someday, but they're not in the budget for now.

nickybobby333

I hate tubes. I've been running Tubliss for a few years on and off road and have been really happy with them. I'd love to give bibs a try someday, but they're not in the budget for now.

They are really not that bad, and are around $100. Depending on where you live getting somebody to install them is the problem. AEO in AZ will do them easily, but when I was in San Diego getting ready for the 500 I could only find one place that was willing to install them.

TIMP42

They are really not that bad, and are around $100. Depending on where you live getting somebody to install them is the problem. AEO in AZ will do them easily, but when I was in San Diego getting ready for the 500 I could only find one place that was willing to install them.
Install them yourself. :)

Been getting Nitro mousses for around $100+ tax lately. Michelins are a bit more as are Dunlops (if they are ever in stock).

And NO WAY IN HELL would I run tubliss in Parker, or anywhere else for that matter. Seen way to many DNF's by friends in races with that setup. Bibs or nothing.

I have done plenty of RMEC/TSCEC races in TX too, no way am I running tubliss there either. One cactus or mesquite bush and you are done, or fixing the tire with a plug kit.

I did Parker in 2016 Ironman Expert Class, and two loops went by pretty fast, not sure I would have wanted a 3rd loop, but could have done it.

Last edited:

nickybobby333

And NO WAY IN HELL would I run tubliss in Parker, or anywhere else for that matter. Seen way to many DNF's by friends in races with that setup. Bibs or nothing.
Not even for a millionnnnnn, billionnnn, trillionnnn dollars! Hah money well spent in my eyes

Been getting Nitro mousses for around $100+ tax lately. Michelins are a bit more as are Dunlops (if they are ever in stock).

I have done plenty of RMEC/TSCEC races in TX too, no way am I running tubliss there either. One cactus or mesquite bush and you are done, or fixing the tire with a plug kit.

I did Parker in 2016 Ironman Expert Class, and two loops went by pretty fast, not sure I would have wanted a 3rd loop, but could have done it.
I run Orange Seal, a latex based sealant. Same stuff I use in my tubeless MTB tires. It seals great and doesnt interfere with using plugs.

I've never had the opportunity to try bibs so I may not know what I am missing, but I couldnt be happier with my Tubliss set up.

Unfortunately Parker will have to wait until 2019. Bummed, but I have too much to do to my bike with Christmas and work to really prepare correctly. :( All this advise will be put to good use, maybe I'll have bibs next year...

Power Monkey

Tubliss is the ticket for everyday riding if you are prepping the rim and maintaining the system correctly. I rarely have failures, but they can occur. In most cases the little rubber hour glass that buffers the HP tube from the rough threads of the low pressure stem has been worn. If that hour glass piece of rubber or your rim tape is not maintained your goanna have problems. I re tape the rim every other tire change. I just add Racers tape on top of what is there. You also need to keep the bead lock secure. I use lock tight there and a double nut on that LP stem.
Past that I have to plug a tire very rarely. I use good quality tires with no goop!

If failure is not an option use the Bib! I've used a Bib mouse and it is a guaranteed no flat and it is a better option if your racing and can't flat. The ride quality of a bib is not at the level of a Tubeless. That difference is clearly detected in the harsh chop here in central Texas.

pgarfinkle

One last thing to add about Parker (as you guys summed it up pretty nice), is the possibility of it being very cold. A few years ago guys hydration packs were freezing. I would bet this year's will be another with the real low dry temps.

nickybobby333

One last thing to add about Parker (as you guys summed it up pretty nice), is the possibility of it being very cold. A few years ago guys hydration packs were freezing. I would bet this year's will be another with the real low dry temps.
What times are they sending the bikes out now that there are separate races from the UTVs? Hoping for some light rain the Thursday before and some cloud cover to block out the sun!

pgarfinkle

No schedule posted yet but in years past 1st bike was off the line at 5:30 am.

Fourstroker

Last year was after sunrise and was almost 7 if I remember correctly