• Forum membership has its advantages....

2017 CRF450 RX in Baja

stewwalker

What are the chances of the new 450 RX being run in SCORE events? Will the big name teams ditch the 450X in turn for the newer lighter machine?

I'm looking into purchasing one for Baja prerunning and adventure rides. The only drawback I see is the fuel capacity and no aftermarket tank options at the moment. If JCR is running the new bike in NHH and GNCC, I would assume that they are working with companies to develop after market parts to make the bike more Baja friendly.

Thoughts?

El Mamito USMC

the parts will come.. it just time.. hope I see a quad soon . maybe with the CRF engine..

A Vance

From what I heard the RX would not be a great bike for baja. The x will still be the bike.

dezert_nerd

With a 450R gearing setup, probably not. Now if they swap the gearing, it's possible. I'm curious to see how Brabec does on his new RX within NHHA.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

dezert_nerd

Also IMS is developing a tank for the R and RX that is around 2.5 Gallons, so don't speak so fast on lack of development for a bigger tank. It is coming, should be out and available in about a month from what I saw.

dezert_nerd

ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1485578855.895242.jpg
ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1485578871.154964.jpg

Stolen from FB.

JDDurfey

2.5 gallons is a step in the right direction, but I wouldn't even think about riding in Baja without at least a 60 mile range on a bike, and even that is pretty short for many areas in Baja while pre-running. Will it go 60 miles on a 2.5 gallon tank? A 50 mile range would work for most races, because that is about what most pits seem to be set at, at least the Honda pits always were, and that is all I ever used.

TYork

Purchase a KTM and be done with it. The number of teams making the switch to orange are numerous.
In 2014 we were one of the few if the only KTM team that ran the entire series. Last I counted that number is now about 50% of the teams were on a KTM.

The new 501 Husky is pretty awesome for Baja.

A Vance

Purchase a KTM and be done with it. The number of teams making the switch to orange are numerous.
In 2014 we were one of the few if the only KTM team that ran the entire series. Last I counted that number is now about 50% of the teams were on a KTM.

The new 501 Husky is pretty awesome for Baja.

Everyone I know who was racing KTM'S have changed to Yamaha. Especially with all the issues KTM had last year. They are nice bikes I just never thought they were the top bike out there.

stewwalker

From what I heard the RX would not be a great bike for baja. The x will still be the bike.
What are the draw backs you see? I run a 06 450R in Baja for prerunning and adventure, any change would be an inproovement. Its an 06, but its a clean 06...

TIMP42

2.5 gallons is a step in the right direction, but I wouldn't even think about riding in Baja without at least a 60 mile range on a bike, and even that is pretty short for many areas in Baja while pre-running. Will it go 60 miles on a 2.5 gallon tank? A 50 mile range would work for most races, because that is about what most pits seem to be set at, at least the Honda pits always were, and that is all I ever used.

I get approx 70 miles on a yz450fx with the IMS 2.5 gallon tank trail riding.
I used the same tank for Vegas to Reno last year and made all the pits. I believe at least a couple were 50+ miles apart. Not sure about 60 miles at that pace though.

I know it isn't a Honda 450RX, but a data point at least.

IMS does make a 3 gal tank for the Yamaha, but I didn't like the wings.

A Vance

From what one pro rider told me is that the rx would be a great NHHA bike. Not a lot of high speed stuff like baja. The bike is very good but compared to the Yamaha it is slower top end. You can make any bike a good bike at whatever type of riding you want. Its just how much effort do you want to put into a bike. R is a good motocross bike. RX is good gp and NHHA bike. And the x is the baja bike. Just my opinion