• Forum membership has its advantages....

2017 Dakar in North America?

trophygoat

I just finished reading this article on Motorsport.com that made a mention of the 2017 Dakar possibly being held in North America... is there any truth to this or is it just a simple rumor? If there's some truth to it I would love to hear what has been speculated so far.
If the rally was held in North America, do you think it would be held in Mexico, the US, Canada? or all 3?

Here's the article:

Argentina intends to keep Dakar in South America

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

07FJRog

Mexico

bajaherbie

Sounds great but I will believe it when I see it!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Hendricus

In terms of a strategic move on behalf of the ASO, I think it would be brilliant.

It would work as a strategy if it would entice US teams to enter, and the sport grew in popularity in the US. (If the US teams rose to the top, I'm sure they'd move out of here quickly. Ha!)

It would take a while, for even the best US teams to take it on, though. It's not easy to compete with AUTO MFG COMPANIES! such as Peugeot, BMW/Mini and VW.

I love Robby and he's hands-down the best US car effort so far, but..., I still think that somehow someway the best of SCORE/BITD can produce an impressive bid for the Dakar, or a more impressive bid, than what we've produced so far. I don't know when, or how, I'm just saying someday.

This is meant as statement of believing in the US off-road racing industry/community/tradition, than it is a slam to Robby. It might take a team or a collaboration the likes of we've never seen before.

blue dog

Todo Santos to Prudhoe bay, 500 mile days, no rest days, and the race is run like a scavenger hunt where you earn minutes off your daily time by executing tasks deemed by the race organization. Bonus points for teams co dogs that hold in there hands a Faberge egg and get it to the finish line in one piece unharmed. Run what you brung, only classes are motorcycles, cars trucks buggies and trash trucks.

El Mamito USMC

ill NEVER happen... simply by 3 letters...

BLM

Petepecas

Possible i Mexico, states of Tamaulipas, Chihuahua, Durangi, Sinaloa, Sonora, cross over to Baja Sur, run up to Ensenada, down to Mexicali end in San Felipe. 5000 kilometers

mexgamer

It could be done in Mexico, I doubt it would ever happen in the US. Mexico City to Cabo, through Ensenada, would be nice!

mrlentle

Todo Santos to Prudhoe bay, 500 mile days, no rest days, and the race is run like a scavenger hunt where you earn minutes off your daily time by executing tasks deemed by the race organization. Bonus points for teams co dogs that hold in there hands a Faberge egg and get it to the finish line in one piece unharmed. Run what you brung, only classes are motorcycles, cars trucks buggies and trash trucks.
Kind of like this?

Where do we sign up?

Speed racer

Unless there were some fundamental rule changes that brings it in line with what Americans like, just moving it to the States will not increase it's popularity in the USA...look at the low popularity of WRC type rallying in the country, without big jumps, insane speeds and Americans winning all the time it will not take off.

Bringing the World Cup to America did not increase the spot's popularity in the States...in fact when the US didn't win there was a slump in interest for many years after. The added costs alone of bringing the event to the US would cripple it, but the real downside would probably be a reduction in interest from it's core audience if there were rule changes to Americanize the event.

Some European car makers who either don't sell cars in the US or who don't build pickups and other offload type vehicles would probably loose interest too.

If they really want to move the event, the smart move would probably be China for business reasons or return to Africa to keep it real.

Last edited:

trophygoat

I know it's just a rumor but Motorsport.com is a reliable source so I am wondering where they got the speculation from...

dbq61537

I know it's just a rumor but Motorsport.com is a reliable source so I am wondering where they got the speculation from...

Good point, but...I really don't see it happening, unless a major sponsor from the states was to show them the money. Or one of the big three (Ford, GM, or Toyota, not counting Chrysler) was to push for it.

BajaFand

2 huge problems... The BLM permitting the "off piste" course routing and how to get quads street legal for liaison sections

trophygoat

The article said North America though. If I had to guess I would say (hypothetically) it takes place in Mexico (mainland, not Baja). Mexico City is already craving motorsports with the return of F1 last year to Autodromos Hermanos so imagine the viewership and spectator numbers. I can't see it running through Baja (even if it started in Ensenada and went east) cause if ASO cancels races for terrorist threats then theres no way they are going to kick up dust in prime cartel territory... but Mexico City and the areas around it have lower crime rates compared to some major US cities so thats my .02

mattb

Starting in Baja, racing north, up and over the Sea of Cortex to the mainland would be brilliant.