• Forum membership has its advantages....

2017 Dakar in North America?

BajaFand

The article said North America though. If I had to guess I would say (hypothetically) it takes place in Mexico (mainland, not Baja). Mexico City is already craving motorsports with the return of F1 last year to Autodromos Hermanos so imagine the viewership and spectator numbers. I can't see it running through Baja (even if it started in Ensenada and went east) cause if ASO cancels races for terrorist threats then theres no way they are going to kick up dust in prime cartel territory... but Mexico City and the areas around it have lower crime rates compared to some major US cities so thats my .02
ALL of Mexico is cartel territory.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

blue dog

El chappo can get it done.

01_el_tiburon

Bait Fish
Sean Penn will be the race ambassador..

mexgamer

There is enough space to do it in Mexico alone.
Most of it would be desert terrain except for the first stage that would through Guanajuato where the WRC races, and some mountain roads between Chihuahua and Hermosillo.
The Chihuahua desert is huge, and it would dominate stages 4-6 and part of 7. Then the Sonoran Desert from Stage 7 to 9; 3 stages of real dunes! (A loop around Puerto Penasco for more dunes!!!)
Finally, 4 stages from Mexicali to Cabo!!!:
- Mexicali to Ensenada, liaison from Downtown Mexicali to Laguna Saluda, special stage all the way down to San Felipe then through one of the beautiful washes, up to Valle T and then to Ojos Negros. Liasion to Ensenada.
- Ensenada - Bay of LA, liaison to Santo Tomas, down the Pacific Coast like the 2015 Baja 1000, then liaison to Bay of LA from where the B1K course crossed over Highway 1.
- Bay of LA - Loreto, the usual peninsula run stuff.
- Loreto - Cabo, again, the usual peninsula run stuff.

It would be AMAZING, best Dakar ever, toughest since Africa I'm sure. It would be interesting to see the Pugs and the Minis race through the San Felipe whoops! Robby would have to win the last 4 stages.

Attachments

Petepecas

The article said North America though. If I had to guess I would say (hypothetically) it takes place in Mexico (mainland, not Baja). Mexico City is already craving motorsports with the return of F1 last year to Autodromos Hermanos so imagine the viewership and spectator numbers. I can't see it running through Baja (even if it started in Ensenada and went east) cause if ASO cancels races for terrorist threats then theres no way they are going to kick up dust in prime cartel territory... but Mexico City and the areas around it have lower crime rates compared to some major US cities so thats my .02
You have no idea what youre writing about. The area around Mexico central is the most conflictive and dangerous in the country. Baja Sur has the lowrst crime rate. Additionally, Mexico central is the most urbanized with little to no space for a Dakar type course. Do somecresearch before spreading nonsense.

Petepecas

El chappo can get it done.
No Blue, Carlos Slim can get it done. His son, Carlis Slim Domit and Jose Abed made F-1 return to Mexico for 5 years contract. It was a total success with the event called by the F1 org the best of the year.

trophygoat

You have no idea what youre writing about. The area around Mexico central is the most conflictive and dangerous in the country. Baja Sur has the lowrst crime rate. Additionally, Mexico central is the most urbanized with little to no space for a Dakar type course. Do somecresearch before spreading nonsense.

I did

2013: Mexico vs US Cities - How Safe Is Mexico

2015: dshirk, Author at Justice in Mexico

And the reason I cited that the race should start in Mexico City is because of the sheer volume of spectators and media coverage that would attract sponsors like never before

Petepecas

Short Bus

I don't have any input for safety, but I would suggest that for international tourism purposes, Mexico may want to highlight it world class tourist destinations as part of the route. Places like Puert Vallarta, Ixtapa, or Acapulco. The success of the South America Dakar is that it tries to go to cities that can support the influx of fans (and cash) that comes with it.

How about Cabo to Ensenada to Hermosillo to Puerto Vallarta - ~4000km on the most direct route.

Petepecas

I don't have any input for safety, but I would suggest that for international tourism purposes, Mexico may want to highlight it world class tourist destinations as part of the route. Places like Puert Vallarta, Ixtapa, or Acapulco. The success of the South America Dakar is that it tries to go to cities that can support the influx of fans (and cash) that comes with it.

How about Cabo to Ensenada to Hermosillo to Puerto Vallarta - ~4000km on the most direct route.
Its definetly doable and Mexico's Rallying culture in the mainland would rival that of south America. There certainly is a variety of topography and geography to make it challenging.

Chris Tobin

I say run through those areas of Mexico (mainland and Baja already cited as well as through some private lane stateside in TEXAS where landowners not BLM control the land and access to it!!! There are many Texas desert races happening now and running in those areas would be great!

Of course if they could pull of a AZ, NV and CA portion that would be even better!!!

Speed racer

How expensive would it be to bring the race to the US, especially if there isn't a lot of political support for the race and what about immigration and other administrative issues?

JCSDakar

The main problem is funding. A.S.O. always has contracts with the countries that are visited. I recall something like 1,5 million Euro per year and country. Then there are also smaller contracts with towns like Rosario/Buenos Aires that obviously also pay the A.S.O. If the town contract was a 3 year contract they would be free to change the route next year.

It's all a question of pesos.

JDDurfey

I don't see how this race could ever happen in the US. Yes there are some areas that are capable of hosting races, but a race to this magnitude? I don't think so. Mexico would be cool, but it would end up being a lot of WRC type terrain that everyone is complaining about. I have not been way down in mainland Mexico, but I imagine that there aren't a lot of areas for "off piste" racing. We know Baja doesn't have much area like this either. Sonora has the dunes and open desert for typical Dakar type racing, but that would only be 1 or maybe two days of the race.

I think the best thing for them to do is to get Chile and Peru involved again, or move the race back to Africa. The mountains of Bolivia are challenging, the altitude is a huge one by itself, but they race on roads there, not much for "off piste" navigation type racing.

trophygoat

Where around Mexico city do you propose the stages? Baja Sur is more dangerous than Mexico city? I wont even open your link.

Obviously the stages wouldn't run through Mexico City, but rather the pre race ceremonies occur there for media and fandom and the convoy takes a long transit to the first stage far outside of the city. and I was stating that Mexico City is statistically safer when compared to some major US cities (as the first link shows), not when compared to Baja sur

This is all just speculation anyway

mexgamer

Lets do it ourselves! The way things are going ASO is gonna cancel it altogether for being too hard and just give a trophy to the highest bidder... I mean, French bidder.

JPBart

Australia?
Australia would be great since 99.9% of the country is desolate. I seem to think a lot of the land is protected so cross country stuff might not work. Not sure though.

The real downer is it's way more dangerous than Africa because everything that walks or crawls or flies is deadly! You don't have to worry about terrorists you just need a lot of bug spray!