• Forum membership has its advantages....

2017 F1 Predictions

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Whoa...did not know that Palmer was offered money to leave. Crazy!
I am also interested to see how Charle Leclerc does in his upcoming FP test outings. He is also stupid fast. Seems like a changing of the guard in F1 these days.

freddy

Lots of stuff happening in Malaysia this past weekend. Ferraris technical issues are just plain awful for them, are they playing it to tight on the margins to catch Mercedes? Though I think it was a pretty basic component that faltered, how basic stuff now get on a F1 car. If Vettel needs to change transmission after his shunt with Stroll after the race, it just adds to the despair...

Verstappen drove a really great race, he's so earned it after all his problems this season.

Will we see a tighter battle between the top three teams for the remainder of the season. I sure hope so, it could be very important for the title fight, in both directions.

Skickat från min iPhone med race-deZert

bajaherbie

Zero points for Haas two races in a row.... or is it three in a row?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
CT...I just read that. Mixed feelings, but I hope they keep the commentators. The current crew does a good job and are entertaining IMO. I hope ESPN keeps the commercials in check and loses that 'non-stop' thing where the screen is half commercial and half live coverage. F1 is a low scoring sport like soccer or baseball and the fun and thrill is in the nuances such as time splits, race lines, pit crew/team interaction, etc. With no commentary during the split screen and with the picture only being half size, all of this is lost. Again...just my opinion.

Here is the statement from NBCSN. The plot thickens!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, October 4th, 2017

STATEMENT FROM AN NBC SPORTS SPOKESPERSON ON FORMULA ONE MEDIA RIGHTS

“Although we take great pride in having grown Formula One’s visibility and viewership since we became its exclusive U.S. media rights holder in 2013, this will be our last season with the series. In this case, we chose not to enter into a new agreement in which the rights holder itself competes with us and our distribution partners. We wish the new owners of F1 well.”

-NBC SPORTS GROUP-

Last edited:

freddy

The misery just continues for Ferrari. Their reliability issues will be what got Hamilton the world championship in the end... which is all but a done deal now.

Pretty good race with some fierce battles up and down the order. Verstappen has definitely found his flow again and looks like the wonder kid again. Alonso and Massa disregarding the blue flags after the final vsc robbed us of an overtaking effort...which probably would have been fruitless in the end. Good overtaking move from Magnussen, looked a little bit dicey but it was definitely a great move for Haas. To hear F1 drivers complain about their teammates in front being to slow (read Grosjean and Perez) will never stop I guess.

Palmer out from Renault and Sainz in starting at Texas in two weeks. Did not see that coming after the initial deal to do it earlier was not done. Did Renault or whoever throw a mountain of cash that the Palmers simply could not refuse? I guess this paves the way for a comeback for Kvyat also.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Funny Story, went to a party Saturday afternoon, some guy there heard I was an F1 fan, whips out his phone and gives Leigh Diffy a call, chatted for a brief moment with him.

I'll be at Austin next weekend. Anybody else going?
Super cool that you got to talk to Leigh Diffy. Seems like a great guy. I am hoping ESPN keeps the commentators for 2018. Not a fan of Bob Varsha, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was in the mix somehow.

No I am not going to Austin, but my wife and I are thinking of going in 2018. Where are your seats, or did you go general admission?

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
It will be very interesting to see how Sainz stacks up to Hulkenberg in a straight up fight. Does anyone else think Hartley is an odd choice at Toro Rosso? I always think of them as giving 'young' drivers a chance, but 28 isn't that young. Hoping that Ferrari can find pace and reliability to make it a three way battle for the podium.

freddy

It will be very interesting to see how Sainz stacks up to Hulkenberg in a straight up fight. Does anyone else think Hartley is an odd choice at Toro Rosso? I always think of them as giving 'young' drivers a chance, but 28 isn't that young. Hoping that Ferrari can find pace and reliability to make it a three way battle for the podium.
Yes, definitely interesting to see Sainz speed compared to Hulk. I wonder how much time he's had to get accustomed to the car, would he have been visiting Renault even before everything was official? It's a tough job anyhow and I think we need to give him at least Austin before we expect too much.

Hadn't heard about Hartley to toro rosso, fun to see a wec racer get a chance in F1. Hopefully he'll get to do more than one race.

Bricoop

Fun race to attend, sat on the entrance of turn 11. This pass was just incredible CSj is a talent for sure. Renault must be absolutely thrilled. This move was setup over a mile before it started, Sainz made a great line through 11 which allowed his DRS to keep up with the Force India.

Bummer for Max, but after watching the move over and over it does appear to be the right call by the stewards. He definitely gained an advantage by putting all 4 off the track. Jos' temper tantrum was pretty funny.

Looks like Kyv is done in F1.

I bet we see Ricciardo in a silver arrow in 2019.

The sounds these hybrids make are so strange. When gathering energy or under DRS. The Renault was probably the loudest with DRS. Really enjoyed listening to the masters race (historic F1) and listening to the sounds those make!

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Yes I loved the masters race in Canada as well. So cool to see all of the old cars.

Sainz was pretty much the equal of Verstappen when they were both with TR, so now with a factory team, things could be good for him.

Yes Danny K is likely done.

If Ricciardo does go to Mercedes or Ferrari, would Sainz be in for Red Bull? I read somewhere that he was 'on loan' to Renault.

With Renault and McLaren likely in better shape for 2018, there could be five way scrap for the podium and maybe six way if Williams can figure out how to get some aero grip and with a better driver(s).

freddy

Yes, following the rule book it was probably right to penalize Max, but it's a shame anyway after his driving on track. Well, he'll probably win in Mexico, he usually does the race after Kvyat gets fired.

Sainz was super impressive in Renault, Hulk has every reason to be worried about his position in the team. Also, Hartley did what could be expected, and good that he gets a few more chances.

freddy

I think (hope) the Mexico race showed us that 2018 will be a great season. Red Bull is definitely in the mix now and Ferrari is also right there if they just get their durability right. Think also to have McLaren with a Renault engine that will be there or thereabouts. And, obviously Mercedes will be a front runner once again. I have high hopes for 2018.

Great race by Verstappen once again, he's definitely not shy when racing the first couple of corners. Interesting to see that both Ferrari and particularly Mercedes struggled with dirty air following slower cars. Ricciardo maybe didn't seem to have the same problem before he broke down. Bottas and Kimi both are not on top right now.

Skickat från min iPhone med race-deZert

freddy

What a statistic, CSjr has more points than both teams he has raced for this season.

CSJ 54
TR 53
RS 48
Had not thought of that... I think it's impressive that he's already close to Hulk in speed after such a short time in the car. I predict that next year Renault will have one of the most fierce inter team fights for position. Hopefully they be a little bit faster overall also.

Hamilton was pretty outstanding last Sunday, going from a pit start to 4th! I read that Villeneuve though Bottas was embarrassing, I guess not getting more out of a superior car.