On Topic 2017 NORRA 1000

Jeepspeedster

Time to get started. When and where to start ? Possible routes?

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

BajaboundMoto

Am I the only one UNhappy about the hotel situation (NOT talking Bay of LA), having to go thru 1 agent to get a main hotel and pay +$$ for it?
Some of us are Baja regulars, have favorite hotels with good parking, and don't need help of a 'planner'.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Tim, I must be missing something because this is what the NORRA website says,...'
Hotels
ALL hotel reservations and accommodations necessary to compete in the rally are to be made by individual race teams at their expense.

TRAVISD

In Loreto all the hotels are "booked" I have been trying since dates were announced with no luck and have been in contact with the "agent" and the price was a pretty penny for what you got. BTW i am still waying my options there.

scary fast hummer

First time racing in Mexico. Entered in the Pre-Runner Buggy category. My navigator is flying in from the UK to point us in the right direction. We have done this kind of rallye racing in Morocco in the big Hummer in avatar (which now resides in Las Vegas).

We are both really looking forward to racing in Baja. This is logistically a lot harder than racing in Morocco as here everything is DIY. Due to thenature of the entire race crossing the Med on a ferry, the organization manages all the care and feeding of the entire race and it is all part of the entry fee.

Not being an old hand in Baja, we have just given up any rooms and are bringing a trailer for team HQ/workshop/galley for the crew/etc. Some will crash in the trailer, others in tents.

FYI, just exchanged emails with the MAG 7 group who are having a meeting with NORRA tonight to discuss the free service to all, including cars, and exactly what that provides. Looks like basically everything but fuel. Look for an announcement from NORRA soon with all the details. That will be a HUGE help for the likes of me who do not have much of a support team in the way of mechanical skills but are long on enthusiasm ;-)

BajaboundMoto

Tim, I must be missing something because this is what the NORRA website says,...'
Hotels
ALL hotel reservations and accommodations necessary to compete in the rally are to be made by individual race teams at their expense.
Yes, as it should be with any race or event (other than a rally that includes it in the entry, like Dakar).

But what happened is the "agent"/"planner" knew the race dates at each city before it was publicized so he went and booked entire hotels to re-sell them.... El Cortez & Georges in Felipe, Oasis & Santa Fe in Loreto, Marina & City Club in La Paz, and there might be more in each of those cities but those are the ones I know of because I called (not that I'd want to use the City Club, but it's adjacent to the last day Start line I'm guessing).

The added expense for this "service" of taking your reservation may be fine for some but it's increasing our overall expense, and some of us don't need or want the "planning help".
I know some teams love this service, a good friend has been totally happy with it, but they race score 3 times a year so it makes it easy for them.

Yes we're able to make our own reservations at any hotel we'd like and not pay an extra fee, just as long as you don't want certain hotels. Like La Paz for example, I like the La Perla, awesome location, works for small vehicles and no trailers, but really the parking sucks and it's not useable for a race.
I use the Cortez, the Oasis, and the Marina often, I like the parking, and good parking isn't always available as we know.
I've worked around this hurdle in all cities, I didn't end up with what exactly I wanted, but my hotel expense will be far lower.

Last edited:

LantanaTX

These planners, will typically get a block of rooms that they sell or have to release at a certain time. You might fine rooms open up as we get closer in to the event.

volks 73

Am I the only one UNhappy about the hotel situation (NOT talking Bay of LA), having to go thru 1 agent to get a main hotel and pay +$$ for it?
Some of us are Baja regulars, have favorite hotels with good parking, and don't need help of a 'planner'.
This is very frustrating to say the least. In 2015 we made reservations in person at a hotel in Loreto for the 2016 race, the week of the race we were notified by the hotel that we know longer had our rooms, they had been booked by someone else (planner). We were lucky enough to scramble at the last minute and get rooms. Last year when making reservations at Hotel Marina in La Paz we mentioned that we were racing NORRA , we were told they couldn't accept our reservations, we would have to go through the agent/planner. We made online reservations without mentioning NORRA. This year we made all our own reservations and are hoping for the best. Will take sleeping bags just to be safe.

Last edited:

La Tijereta

In Loreto all the hotels are "booked" I have been trying since dates were announced with no luck and have been in contact with the "agent" and the price was a pretty penny for what you got. BTW i am still waying my options there.
We have close to 800 rooms here in Loreto.. there are so many options, not including casas on VBRO that could also provide space for entire teams.. Keep looking, as a lot places work off social media..

TRAVISD

We have close to 800 rooms here in Loreto.. there are so many options, not including casas on VBRO that could also provide space for entire teams.. Keep looking, as a lot places work off social media..
I tried Expedia and such with no luck. The few I contacted on Air BNB wouldnt do one night. I was down there for Thanksgiving and went to a few hotels and they all told me the same that they were all full.

Let me know if you have any connections.

Bro_Gill

Is the travel planner in the classifieds offering rooms at the Cortez in San Felipe during the NORRA 1000 the same one you guys are talking about? Why would anyone need 3 nights in Flippy when the race is only there 1 and moves on? Seems like a scam if they want you to pay for 3 knowing you won't be using them for 3.

Zambo

So who is the planner? I too noticed that hotels that normally had rooms like the Marina in La Paz were all booked up. I made reservations at other places but if someone is holding all these rooms to resell at a premium then that is, well, hmmmm......

BajaboundMoto

I'll add this... I went straight to the top (helps when you know them) at one of the hotels that was fully booked by the Planner, requested/received 8 rooms, and saved myself $446, for ONE night!

luvbaja2

Good for you Tim. Unfortunately most of us don't have the connections you or some of the top teams have. I have struggled to get rooms in San Felipe and Loreto since day one in Sept. Had to pay double in Loreto for a place for our team to stay. Also in Bay of LA at one min. after opening all the rooms in Villa Vitta and Costa de Sol were gone????? I now have beds for all our team but it was an exercise in FRUSTRATION. Takes some of the HAPPY out of the "Happiest Race on Earth"

scary fast hummer

Makes me feel better about just bringing a trailer for accomodations. At least I will know who slept in my bed last ;-)

scary fast hummer

Since it is coming up fast, I have a "never been to SJdCabo" question; any suggestions on where to park two pickups with 24' trailers for the night? We plan on staying in the trailers overnight but I have no idea where to aim for. Is there a local version of the Wally World parking lot? Like everybody else, I just want to heave to, get to the party and back, and then head out in the morning.

Everybody I have talked to in person about places to stay during the race has said "just wing it, you will be fine." I have a plan (and a backup or two!) for Ensenada. And obviousely, BofLA is sorted. I would just feel better if I had a plan for SJcC.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Dirty Harry

Since it is coming up fast, I have a "never been to SJdCabo" question; any suggestions on where to park two pickups with 24' trailers for the night? We plan on staying in the trailers overnight but I have no idea where to aim for. Is there a local version of the Wally World parking lot? Like everybody else, I just want to heave to, get to the party and back, and then head out in the morning.

Everybody I have talked to in person about places to stay during the race has said "just wing it, you will be fine." I have a plan (and a backup or two!) for Ensenada. And obviousely, BofLA is sorted. I would just feel better if I had a plan for SJcC.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

I have only been once before (in 2013) but there was a big fenced lot in San Juan Del Cabo where everyone left there trucks and trailers.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today