• Forum membership has its advantages....

2017 Parker400 / Kofa Inn Reservations

HI_DEZ_DAVE

Just a heads-up if you have reservations at the Kofa Inn: In March the weekend rates for the race were guaranteed at $72.15 Fri & $78.80 Sat. They said the Mgr who was price gouging the 2016 race was fired. In October I called to confirm & rates went up to $143.00 for both Fri & Sat. When asked why they don't call & tell people, they said "We don't do that". Disclaimer: I'm not bashing Kofa, I'm letting everyone know that if you have reservations to be aware you're gonna get charged almost double. I know the Tribes own it, but ouch!

Last edited:

Jack

I have had this happen at almost every hotel in parker for more then a decade.

Dirty Harry

That happened in Parump at the Holiday Inn also, it was even mentioned in the story in the local paper. At least they let people know though.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Bdub 1020

Its cool , off road racers don't want budget options. They are rich and want to spend thousands j/k. But does this not happen everywhere at like Nascar races or at sporting events. Casey is doing the right thing. Show them getting something is better than nothing if you want to charge to much. I will go to the Avi for dinner and fun now before I go to the Bluewater.

scootin newton

Its cool , off road racers don't want budget options. They are rich and want to spend thousands j/k. But does this not happen everywhere at like Nascar races or at sporting events. Casey is doing the right thing. Show them getting something is better than nothing if you want to charge to much. I will go to the Avi for dinner and fun now before I go to the Bluewater.
i live here and agree with you 100%

HI_DEZ_DAVE

[Show them getting something is better than nothing if you want to charge to much.]

That's the point of my OP. After I and a couple of other teams canceled last February's race, they called on March 4th & apologized stating that the gouging mgr. got fired & rates were now guaranteed. That is what I am pointing out. We are all aware of the normal rate hikes guys. I'm pointing out that a guarantee is not a guarantee..fact.

johndjmix

Price gouging in hotels seems like it's totally normal and legal. When any event is in a town they skyrocket. Vegas during SEMA was crazy!

Hotels = legal price gouging.

Anyways, from what I know I think to be considered price gouging it only is considered that in the case of a natural disaster or other distress.

--John

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
WildPowerSports.com
coolermods.com

MikeLeung

Hotels has every right and is good business practice to raise prices when demand is high. But what I remember and heard regarding the Kofa Inn is that they had accepted reservations at one price, but when the teams checked in, the orginial price was not honored and the nightly rated was raised. Now that is completely wrong to give no advance notice and wait for the reservation to show up before raising the price.

vegasloki

Price gouging in hotels seems like it's totally normal and legal. When any event is in a town they skyrocket. Vegas during SEMA was crazy!

Hotels = legal price gouging.
It's supply and demand. Just like when you buy an airline ticket. Or a brand new Raptor at $25k over sticker. When a product is in demand, the price goes up. If you book in advance at any reputable establishment they'll honor your rate. In fact most will charge a deposit of your first night. It sounds like there are smaller places in Parker or Pahrump that didn't know there was an event and tried to maximize.

If you had issues during SEMA it's because of moves like waiting until a couple weeks before the show or didn't know to look for properties outside of the Strip and downtown. SEMA is pretty good size but nowhere near the biggest show that comes to town. Though if you are expecting sub $100 (or in many cases sub $200) rooms during SEMA that's not in the cards. A week from now there won't be anything sub $500 and likely not much sub $1000.