1. Forum membership has its advantages....
    Dismiss Notice

2017 Sonora Rally

Discussion in 'Rally Raid' started by DarrenSkilton, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Mike321

Mike321 Well-Known Member

How does one log more than 24 hours per day? Serious question, trying to understand the math behind the results.

2. Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry Well-Known Member

Time penalties for missing waypoints or not completing the stage before it closes. In Dakar if you don't complete a stage you are out of the race, but Darren and Scott are more forgiving.

When is interesting to me is the time difference between the front of the pack and the back. It is really a far different race for say, Ricky Brabec, who is back to the bivouac by noon each day with plenty of time to rest and get his bike prepped than it is for guys at the back who struggle to get in by dark each night and then have to thrash getting ready for the next day when they are already exhausted. That aspect IS just like Dakar.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

(+1) 1 person likes this.
  3. DarrenSkilton

DarrenSkilton Well-Known Member

I'm
    The reason for the severe time penalties are to be fair to the riders who complete the course outside the time limit. In Dakar you must pass almost all the waypoints to be allowed to start the exit day. We don't want to do that. We want those who do complete the course while exceeding the maximum time to be listed in front of those that do not complete the stage. I don't want a situation where a competitor starts the stages each morning then just drives the highway to the bivouac, is listed ahead of a competitor that fought the entire time to complete the stages but did so outside the maximum times. They should not receive the same penalty time.

Penalty times are calculated by adding the maximum time allowed, the number of missed or open waypoints, speeding penalties and whether you passed the final control each day and handed in your time card. So yes all those could exceed 24 hours. This makes sure that they can't finished ahead of those who get all the waypoints.

(+4) 4 people like this.
  4. Team Todo En

Team Todo En Well-Known Member

I saw Perry Coan really did a number on Jabroni's front axle housing the 3rd day. Anyone know how it happened? It looked like the typical work of a witch's eye.

5. Pee Wee

Pee Wee Well-Known Member

Wasn't me at the wheel when it happened.
    Low range was gone in T case and they had to dune faster than they wanted to and did more of a 6' drop than a witch eye. End result was a lawn dart.
    Dunes were tough on day one which I drove but what I saw of day 2 doing extraction was tougher.

6. Mark Newhan

Mark Newhan Well-Known Member

Looks like the trailer suffered a casualty as well.

7. Pee Wee

Pee Wee Well-Known Member

Yea I was at the wheel for that and still have no idea where it happened or how far I drove 3 wheeled.
    All the way home from Rocky Point to Pomona on a single axle was a hoot. First time I've ever towed 55 the whole way.

8. GelandeVentures

GelandeVentures Well-Known Member

Well, we're back from Sonora in one piece although the shape of the piece is a little different.

The new OM606a diesel motor exceeded our expectations and the G wagen held up incredibly well - ran super cool with all the new stuff. Our crew was awesome - all guys from Club G Wagen - took everything we threw at them without missing a beat.

Compared to last year this year's course had quite a bit more terrain that wasn't well suited to our build, largely due to our stock tire size and limited suspension travel. The seemingly endless short choppy stuff is very slow going with only 9" of travel. In the dunes it seemed that the preponderance of waypoints were way up on top of a monster 1000' steep dune. With the 500 ft/lbs of torque in the G, aired down to 8 psi, front center and rear diffs locked, 1/2 kilometer running start we often had to try a dozen times to get up close enough to grab a waypoint - sometimes we had to spend 30 minutes circumnavigating the foot hills looking for a way up - waypoints added up very slowly.

Scott didn't let anybody down with his creation this year, that's for certain. We go into this race fully expecting seemingly impossible challenges. The only way we even believe they are possible is that a few of the guys were able to make it thru the full course.

Day 4 was the definition of diabolical. F'ing Scott was often heard in our car.

Thanks to the Sonora Rally Organization for another epic, diabolical nicely catered event. Love you guys.

William

(+3) 4 people like and 1 person dislikes this.
  9. GelandeVentures

And kudos to the Jergensen's. Nothing can stop those two guys! Fearless, determined and talented! They ran the course faster than anyone, it just came down to opening a waypoint and that cost them the win.

And they blazed the trail for everyone. Their lines were insane, especially in the dunes. If I hadn't seen it myself I wouldn't have thought it was possible in a 4 wheeled vehicle.

Incredible job Todd and Kyle.

10. Dirty Harry

You definitely have the most enthusiastic and diverse crew! They were a great group of men and women to spend the week with.

You guys "get it" when it comes to rally raid William, I love your spirit and that amazing G Wagon!

11. Hog Wild

Hog Wild Well-Known Member

Videos from all 4 days:

(+2) 2 people like this.
  12. TJERGENSEN

TJERGENSEN Well-Known Member

William, glad you're home safe, we have learned some important lessons from you and you're crew, always so positive, helping, inspiring, and talented.

13. DarrenSkilton

DarrenSkilton Well-Known Member

14. Hog Wild

Hog Wild Well-Known Member

Cool video from Eric Pucelik / Mike Shirley:

15. Dirty Harry

(+2) 2 people like this.
  16. LC4Dakar

LC4Dakar Member

After the incompetent boobs at UPS spent 30 days bouncing my only remaining truck key around Mexico and the US, they finally returned it to me last Friday. I went down to Puerto Penasco yesterday to retrieve the truck, and this is what I found in the Penasco del Sol parking lot:

[​IMG]
    No damage, nothing missing. Two 5 gallon cans still full of gas.
    This would not happen in the US.
    Great hotel.

I am impressed
    :clap

(+7) 7 people like this.
  17. Dirty Harry

Finally some good luck after the unfortunate events at the race!

18. GelandeVentures

Man, it's only May and we're already psyched when we think about running next years course. 2017 kicked our butts thoroughly - our mods will hopefully be beneficial for 2018. What will the Sonoy Rally Organisation do next year? We're hoping that it will be an old school, extreme distance/terrain, highly exposed, self supported course. 1k, 2k, 3k? Like Forrest Gump said, "life is like a box of chocolates.....you never know what your gonna get...." Let's hope we get something equally as amazing as last year. Something different, more like the 1983 Dakar course?

What would the rest of you guys like to see in the North American rally raid scene?

Again, thanks Scott, Darren and families for 2017!!!! Love all you guys.

William

(+2) 2 people like this.
  19. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Well-Known Member

Baja Dad Race Prep and Adventure will be offering Support at the 2018 Sonora Rally.
    This way you can race all day and RELAX in the bivouac

info will be comming soon

20. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Well-Known Member

any news on the rally?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted