2017 Supercross

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
RDC Crypto
If a team wanted a rider that'll only do half a year/season, then explain why Josh Grant got picked up and why JGR keep Nicoletti in the stable ready to fill and empty seat? And why Dean Wilson hasn't signed a ride yet?

Follow the money. Sponsors are paying to have their name and product shown.

No top team wants Wilson because he's constantly getting hurt even though he's capable of getting top fives. There's more riders than rides right now and teams want a rider that will last the full season.

MXShea

MX know-it-all
RDC Crypto
Mike, You're only further proving my point.
Josh Grant was a fill in rider (like Malcolm was and could be) and has also been injured and missed more races than Dean Wilson.
So has Trey Canard.
You keep saying how Malcolm only wants to race half the year or season - do you know that had he raced outdoors last year it would have been for free? There was no money for him to ride the GEICO 250 outdoors (that he is too big for).
He doesn't necessarily want a SX only contract just because he didn't race outdoors for free last year.
However, each year there are more and more riders and teams doing SX only. It's a thing.
There are a lot of moving parts and a lot of reasons guys get rides and don't.
There is also a lot of secrecy in the whole Stewart camp.
The point is that Malcolm has several offers on the table and is holding out for the most money.
Saying that teams don't want him is simply inaccurate. If anything, there are teams he doesn't want.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Last edited:

RedRide

RDC Crypto
Mike, You're only further proving my point.
Josh Grant was a fill in rider (like Malcolm was and could be) and has also been injured and missed more races than Dean Wilson.
So has Trey Canard.
You keep saying how Malcolm only wants to race half the year or season - do you know that had he raced outdoors last year it would have been for free? There was no money for him to ride the GEICO 250 outdoors (that he is too big for).
He doesn't necessarily want a SX only contract just because he didn't race outdoors for free last year.
However, each year there are more and more riders and teams doing SX only. It's a thing.
There are a lot of moving parts and a lot of reasons guys get rides and don't.
There is also a lot of secrecy in the whole Stewart camp.
The point is that Malcolm has several offers on the table and is holding out for the most money.
Saying that teams don't want him is simply inaccurate. If anything, there are teams he doesn't want.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device

I like Malcom and wish he could be a real contender. Unfortunately I just don't see the focus like the top contenders. Will be fun to watch him dice it up for the first few laps before fading away.

JWK Motorsports

RDC Crypto
"holding out for the most money" is lame as aides. while money is important, its much more important to find a team that you are comfortable with.. team and bike wise.

MXShea

MX know-it-all
RDC Crypto
Which is probably why he has turned down some offers.
He has a great competitive bike to ride if he doesn't end up signing something he likes.
He already beat an American factory rider in SX last week on his old CRF450, "coming off the couch".

Hopefully he reads RDC where some people know what's more important to him than he does and what contract he should have signed and how he should have raced for free on a 250 outdoors.

By the way, Jimmy Decotis is contracted to race a GEICO Honda, SX only. Both riders and team agreed to this contract.
I'll give you some shocking insider info on that deal...he won't be racing outdoors, even if he wins the SX title! GASP!

Last edited:

Fourstroker

RDC Crypto
For me its more surprising that he hasn't signed a deal this late in the game. He showed plenty of game in SX and outdoors in the past to prove he deserves a ride. If he truly is playing the game and trying to get the best deal, it just looks like the window is closing fast.

I personally hope he has a ride lined up and rides all season. I just wish he would have finalized it already so he could have given himself and his team the best chance to succeed. If he has been riding a Honda and a Yamaha and whatever other bikes over the winter, how long will it take him and his potential new team to get dialed in on the new bike. Some guys have been on their new rides since October...or earlier

I wish him luck either way

Chris Tobin

RDC Crypto
Which is probably why he has turned down some offers.
He has a great competitive bike to ride if he doesn't end up signing something he likes.
He already beat an American factory rider in SX last week on his old CRF450, "coming off the couch".

Hopefully he reads RDC where some people know what's more important to him than he does and what contract he should have signed and how he should have raced for free on a 250 outdoors.

By the way, Jimmy Decotis is contracted to race a GEICO Honda, SX only. Both riders and team agreed to this contract.
I'll give you some shocking insider info on that deal...he won't be racing outdoors, even if he wins the SX title! GASP!

If he isn't reading RDC, how in the world can he even call himself an SX rider???? Everyone who's anyone reads RDC daily!!!!

All joking aside, how would he have been racing the Outdoors for free? Wouldn't he have at least earned race winnings for whatever place he finished, or would that have somehow been forfeited and he would have literally received $0??? I have no idea how contracts work in SX/MX but it seems to me that even if you agree to race for Team XYZ for $0 per race salary, it still seems like you would at least get a % of the race winnings. So if he did as well as possible he would still put something in his pocket each race for finishing good.

Please explain how it would work in a situation like this...

I hope the kid gets a good bike under him, personally it seems foolish and risky to play games like you are asserting that he is doing. It seems that many of these executives have long memories and don't like being jerked around...

On the other hand, if he is telling the truth and no one is ready to sign him, or wants him for their team... WHY??? What baggage is he carrying that is not overcome by his talent and skills on the bike?

MXShea

MX know-it-all
RDC Crypto
Hey Tobin,
It absolutely could add up to be not racing for free, if he were capable of winning.
When James Stewart raced his Suzuki outdoors for free, he got $600K per win before the wheels fell off.
Malcolm could have made money but it is unlikely he would have won on a lite bike outdoors with the hills and his size. He felt it would only devalue him coming off of a championship win. His decision to protect his worth is criticized by some but I feel those same people would have discredited him and devalued him if he had a bad run outdoors - without giving him the benefit of the doubt and considering all of the factors.

I don't think he is jerking anyone around. If he feels he will do better on his own Seven backed bike than what he is being offered, he will ride his bike and prove himself. If an offer comes up meeting everything he is asking, he will sign it.

This seems simple enough to me but I understand that when the last name is Stewart, it is always more complicated. And that is due to the Stewart's themselves being so secretive and the fans being...biased.

Last edited:

Fourstroker

RDC Crypto
Dungey looked like he was back 100% at Monster Energy Cup so I would say yes. Is he fast enough to beat KRoc? That's another question

RedRide

RDC Crypto
Dungey is 100% but I'm predicting an injury at A1 after Roczen and Tomac beat him - bruised ego.

I hope Tomac can hang with those two. Would be cool to have 3 guys battling for the top spot. I have a feeling Roczen is going to be on another level with legit factory backing. Can't wait for A1!

9five9

RDC Crypto
I really want to see Canard do well on the KTM. That being said, I think it's Tomac's year in SX.

Hayward Racing

RDC Crypto
What about Bubba is he racing?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

MXShea

MX know-it-all
RDC Crypto
I don't know. I know he wants to but I know he is also advocating for his brother right now too and I think he is working on a way to pass the torch and put Mookie in a good position going forward.
I don't think we have seen the last of him but I'd be surprised to see a full season.

Chris Tobin

RDC Crypto
I don't know. I know he wants to but I know he is also advocating for his brother right now too and I think he is working on a way to pass the torch and put Mookie in a good position going forward.
I don't think we have seen the last of him but I'd be surprised to see a full season.

Be realistic Shea, even if he intended to run the full season, do you think he would/could run a full season again? When was the last time JS ran a full season?

Might be best for him to focus on an ownership/mentorship type roll for Mookie and coach him to reach his full potential rather than mix it up with him and others out on the track...

standfast

RDC Crypto
It doesn't appear to me that anyone has Kroc's speed but I am concerned about his ability to stay healthy. Should be exciting.

How is El Hombre looking for this season?