2018 51st SCORE Baja 1000 Race Week Thread - Map, live video, tracking, updates, discussion, etc.

RYAN COHEE

Any intel on the Monster girl ran over at the starting line ?

mebedb1

Any intel on the Monster girl ran over at the starting line ?
One of the "Umbrella girls", was between the wheels of the 150 getting her picture taken, stepped out from there, the camera guy wanted a few more shots so he stopped her. about that time the green rag was dropped, the 150 hit the skinny pedal and the rear spit her out like a rag doll. My BFG source, that was on scene, said she was bleeding out her ears when they got to her. as of Sat., about noon she was still in ICU. I pray she makes a full recovery from this nasty incident.

MTPyle

got home late last night and man what a race. We finished at 31 hours. Tons of really fun sections and a few of the worst places I could imagine. This was a our first Baja race and did not pre run so I had no idea what to expect. We started 17th out of 30 specs. at RM 300 we were in 6th place. Took a long pit stop and lots of guys got in front of us. After RM360 is when the crap hit the fan. From 360-480 was hell. with 37" tires on a rear axle truck it was really hard. the ruts were made by 40" tires so if we stopped we were screwed.

So many guys stuck that we could not get around and then we became stuck. With the ruts so deep it was really hard to get out of them. So you were stuck going where the ruts took you, which was right into the guy stuck in front of you. Knowing what I know now if I ever see lights ahead stopped on course I am going to get off the course and start mowing bushes. that was the only way to survive.

with the course clear of vehicles our truck did well. We never got stuck on our own. just when others were stuck. Then the fog came in. Fog, silt dust, and night was a really bad combo. I think we spent 6 hours getting from 380-480. At one point we were in a line of maybe 15 cars waiting for a vehicle to get moved.

There was a White Bronco that was back there pulling guys out. He was a life saver. I think his name was Kris? He pulled us out 3 times.

It was interesting to see how different teams handled getting un stuck. One TT was in front of us and they had basically gave up. The guy even came over to us and said we were super stuck like them and will not get out. I was like WTH dude that's not the right attitude. We left them there after about 1:30 hours of backing up to get around them. we moved a max traxx length at a time. I think we moved 60 yards back. Below is a pic of that spot. You can see our spare tire on the left
IMG_0088.jpeg
where we started to move back. the center of the track was high enough to high center our rear end. if the tires were not on our traction planks the rear end was stuck. had to dig under the rear end to get jack under there to lift the rear end off the center, did that about 10 times.

Mike

johndjmix

Was that white bronco the one with “LORANCE” on the sides? Saw that guy everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

RYAN COHEE

One of the "Umbrella girls", was between the wheels of the 150 getting her picture taken, stepped out from there, the camera guy wanted a few more shots so he stopped her. about that time the green rag was dropped, the 150 hit the skinny pedal and the rear spit her out like a rag doll. My BFG source, that was on scene, said she was bleeding out her ears when they got to her. as of Sat., about noon she was still in ICU. I pray she makes a full recovery from this nasty incident.
We should set up a fund to help her out

mebedb1

We should set up a fund to help her out
Agreed!! just saw a video, she was before the ramp which makes more sense as to why the photo's, evidently the car was being waved up the ramp, not off the line. my source was 36 hrs in and I obviously misunderstood which side of the ramp she was on. Never the less, Bad situation for her.

Dlock5

got home late last night and man what a race. We finished at 31 hours. Tons of really fun sections and a few of the worst places I could imagine. This was a our first Baja race and did not pre run so I had no idea what to expect. We started 17th out of 30 specs. at RM 300 we were in 6th place. Took a long pit stop and lots of guys got in front of us. After RM360 is when the crap hit the fan. From 360-480 was hell. with 37" tires on a rear axle truck it was really hard. the ruts were made by 40" tires so if we stopped we were screwed.

So many guys stuck that we could not get around and then we became stuck. With the ruts so deep it was really hard to get out of them. So you were stuck going where the ruts took you, which was right into the guy stuck in front of you. Knowing what I know now if I ever see lights ahead stopped on course I am going to get off the course and start mowing bushes. that was the only way to survive.

with the course clear of vehicles our truck did well. We never got stuck on our own. just when others were stuck. Then the fog came in. Fog, silt dust, and night was a really bad combo. I think we spent 6 hours getting from 380-480. At one point we were in a line of maybe 15 cars waiting for a vehicle to get moved.

There was a White Bronco that was back there pulling guys out. He was a life saver. I think his name was Kris? He pulled us out 3 times.

It was interesting to see how different teams handled getting un stuck. One TT was in front of us and they had basically gave up. The guy even came over to us and said we were super stuck like them and will not get out. I was like WTH dude that's not the right attitude. We left them there after about 1:30 hours of backing up to get around them. we moved a max traxx length at a time. I think we moved 60 yards back. Below is a pic of that spot. You can see our spare tire on the leftView attachment 196358 where we started to move back. the center of the track was high enough to high center our rear end. if the tires were not on our traction planks the rear end was stuck. had to dig under the rear end to get jack under there to lift the rear end off the center, did that about 10 times.

Mike
All do respect to the top guys, these are the stories I like to read about. Congratulations on a well deserved finish.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

450grl

It was interesting to see how different teams handled getting un stuck. One TT was in front of us and they had basically gave up. The guy even came over to us and said we were super stuck like them and will not get out. I was like WTH dude that's not the right attitude. We left them there after about 1:30 hours of backing up to get around them. we moved a max traxx length at a time. I think we moved 60 yards back. Below is a pic of that spot. You can see our spare tire on the leftView attachment 196358 where we started to move back. the center of the track was high enough to high center our rear end. if the tires were not on our traction planks the rear end was stuck. had to dig under the rear end to get jack under there to lift the rear end off the center, did that about 10 times.

Mike
I hate silt so much.....couldn't imagine it at night! Just curious....was it as bad 20 or so yards to either side? From silt beds I have been in, they get wider and wider as every vehicle goes a little off to the side to get out of the worst of it - was this the same way?

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Was that white bronco the one with “LORANCE” on the sides? Saw that guy everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert
Kris( Kritter) was chasing for the Ridgeline team and also helping out anyone else he can in the silt. He's been doing it for years and knows what he's doing. Unfortunately Toby Price (in the Menzies TT) rear ended Kris after he had to stop to try and let the silt settle so he could see. Toby said he was doing about 40mph and couldn't see anything when he hit him, and said Kris didn't have any lights on but he did. I'm pretty sure that with no wind at all and the silt was so bad that you wouldn't see any lights at all coming up on a stopped vehicle at 40mph. Unfortunately people on social media were replying to Toby's post about it talking bad about Kris when they have no idea what the real situation was and his experience. Sounds like Menzies team will help get the Bronco fixed so that's good. It was just a bad situation. Kris kept pulling people out after he got hit, even the Menzies TT. The body on it looked totaled.

It's been years, but myself a couple guys went to the big silt bed south of San Ignacio at the Baja 2000 and helped pull out stuck race cars and bikes for part of the night. We had the Locos Mocos pit a few miles south of there. Silt is no joke, especial the big long silt beds when there is no wind to clear the air. We felt unsafe many times that night but did what we could to help people get out. I give props to anyone that steps up and pulls out stuck cars in silt beds like that after my small experience.

MTPyle

Yes it was Kris and the back of the Bronco was smashed bad. Bummer. They were awesome.

The pic I posted did have areas on the left of course that you could go thru. Problem is we came around a corner and was already in the rut, tried to turn to the left but the tires could not get out of the rut so we had to stop to not hit the TT stuck. had to back up until we got around the corner to get out of the rut. They act like train tracks, once you are in the deep ones you can't get out. If I ever do the 1000 again I will have 40" tires for sure. The 37" tires with a rear axle was not a good combo following all the 40" guys.

The worst was when the fog came in. we could not see more than 20ft in front of the truck for 10 miles. didn't matter how long we waited, it did not move.

MTPyle

Come to think of it that TT had all their lights off after they got stuck so we could not see them until it was too late. Why the hell would anyone turn off all lights while stuck on course at night in the dust? When we got stuck the driver was on the roof with the Sat phone, not sure how that was gong to help? LOL with no lights and his helmet off. the co Driver was standing on the side with no helmet.

maybe I am conservative but I would never take my helmet off while stuck on course. And I sure would not turn my lights off. You wonder how some of these guys get in a position to drive a TT? And they didn't hit the broke down button on the Stella.

Mike

Pacololo

Kris( Kritter) was chasing for the Ridgeline team and also helping out anyone else he can in the silt. He's been doing it for years and knows what he's doing. Unfortunately Toby Price (in the Menzies TT) rear ended Kris after he had to stop to try and let the silt settle so he could see. Toby said he was doing about 40mph and couldn't see anything when he hit him, and said Kris didn't have any lights on but he did. I'm pretty sure that with no wind at all and the silt was so bad that you wouldn't see any lights at all coming up on a stopped vehicle at 40mph. Unfortunately people on social media were replying to Toby's post about it talking bad about Kris when they have no idea what the real situation was and his experience. Sounds like Menzies team will help get the Bronco fixed so that's good. It was just a bad situation. Kris kept pulling people out after he got hit, even the Menzies TT. The body on it looked totaled.
Kritter gave us a yank out of the silt too. Couldn't be more thankful.
Back of his Bronco had definitely seen better days... Bummer

J Prich

It's been years, but myself a couple guys went to the big silt bed south of San Ignacio at the Baja 2000 and helped pull out stuck race cars and bikes for part of the night. We had the Locos Mocos pit a few miles south of there. Silt is no joke, especial the big long silt beds when there is no wind to clear the air. We felt unsafe many times that night but did what we could to help people get out. I give props to anyone that steps up and pulls out stuck cars in silt beds like that after my small experience.
The internet is so dumb. Kind of ironic that the TT team trying to make it seem like Kris was unsafe and reckless and potentially cost them their race is the same team that decided that acting like b-holes around the final corner was somehow reasonable. And it both cases, they decided to take the low road and point fingers and deflect any kind of personal responsibility.

The deal with Kris was a bummer for both parties I'm sure. There was no point in Toby going on social media and trying to make Kris the scapegoat for an accident. Nice to hear the positive stories of people who Kris helped, even after his truck was trashed. A lot of people would have never made it out of the section if it wasn't for him sitting there all night helping.

I would never take my helmet off while stuck on course.
Never say never. You might remove it when you have to shovel or jack, for instance.

After you have sent someone up course to slow/warn traffic. of course.

PeteRock

Come to think of it that TT had all their lights off after they got stuck so we could not see them until it was too late. Why the hell would anyone turn off all lights while stuck on course at night in the dust? When we got stuck the driver was on the roof with the Sat phone, not sure how that was gong to help? LOL with no lights and his helmet off. the co Driver was standing on the side with no helmet.

maybe I am conservative but I would never take my helmet off while stuck on course. And I sure would not turn my lights off. You wonder how some of these guys get in a position to drive a TT? And they didn't hit the broke down button on the Stella.

Mike
Did you happen to catch the number of the TT?