• Forum membership has its advantages....

2018 51st SCORE Baja 1000 Race Week Thread - Map, live video, tracking, updates, discussion, etc.

MTPyle

I did shovel and jack with my helmet on. It was harder for sure but not worth the risk to take it off, in my opinion. my Co dog took his off and thats his choice. But for me I want to keep it on while on a hot race course.

I didn't get the number of that TT, I have a hard time remembering numbers of trucks. I can remember the sponsors but not numbers. By the time we got next to the truck I was on my way and hammered down so I didn't look. I am sure they are nice guys and who knows what their experience is. I just take safety pretty serious and was surprised to see a team be so relaxed about it. They were digging a hole in front of one of the back tires to put the spare in. They were using the spare tire for traction. They had a set of Max traxx on the truck that they never used. I had never seen that technique used with the spare, let's just say it didn't work. LOL

I think we pulled about 8 trucks out, pushed a few as well. Since our goal was to just finish we were OK to take a little time to help out. Our biggest mistake was taking longer pits early on. Lots of guys passed us and most of those guys got stuck in front of us. I feel like if we would have pushed harder early we could have had less traffic in the nasty stuff. I think at RM300 we were #6 in TT spec. Started 17th so we made decent time in the first part. long pits hurt us for sure. by 300 I had got out twice to pee at pits so you can tell we were taking our time. I had my 15 year old son Co driving with me for the first 300 miles. Then a friend for 300-480. He had no idea what he was in for but he did awesome. Then I handed the truck to my 22 year old son at 480 to take it home. he did great.

was interesting to see how different guys handled passing. For instance a UTV went by us as we were pulling another guy out. We caught up to the UTV pretty fast and he would not let us by. We ate his dust for awhile with no way to get around that was safe. We kept hitting the Stella over take button and he ignored it. He wasn't about to let us by. we almost hit a big bolder in the dust and I deiced to stay back and get out of his dust. We caught up to him rolled over on the side of the course. He and his Co dog were arguing and fighting. It was pretty entertaining to see. In contrast there were a lot of vehicles that once we caught them they moved over fast and let us by. I feel like for the most part everyone was pretty respectful. There are all types of drivers out there, thats for sure. LOL

Mike

A Vance

So a few things I have taken from this race after tracking all day and reading the posts here.

There are so many camera on the course that making sketchy passes that used to happen with no one seeing it are going to get caught.
Don't let anyone within 5' of the vehicles as they are lined up to start. (sucks for the monster girl, she didn't know any better)
Don't let anyone stand on the outside of the corner. (thought this has been discussed about a million times. Even in town at the finish line)
Safety should be considered first over winning. This one is easier said than done when you are in the heat of battle. Score did a good job of penalties for unsafe things.

cw_mi

got home late last night and man what a race. We finished at 31 hours. Tons of really fun sections and a few of the worst places I could imagine. This was a our first Baja race and did not pre run so I had no idea what to expect. We started 17th out of 30 specs. at RM 300 we were in 6th place. Took a long pit stop and lots of guys got in front of us. After RM360 is when the crap hit the fan. From 360-480 was hell. with 37" tires on a rear axle truck it was really hard. the ruts were made by 40" tires so if we stopped we were screwed.

So many guys stuck that we could not get around and then we became stuck. With the ruts so deep it was really hard to get out of them. So you were stuck going where the ruts took you, which was right into the guy stuck in front of you. Knowing what I know now if I ever see lights ahead stopped on course I am going to get off the course and start mowing bushes. that was the only way to survive.

with the course clear of vehicles our truck did well. We never got stuck on our own. just when others were stuck. Then the fog came in. Fog, silt dust, and night was a really bad combo. I think we spent 6 hours getting from 380-480. At one point we were in a line of maybe 15 cars waiting for a vehicle to get moved.

There was a White Bronco that was back there pulling guys out. He was a life saver. I think his name was Kris? He pulled us out 3 times.

It was interesting to see how different teams handled getting un stuck. One TT was in front of us and they had basically gave up. The guy even came over to us and said we were super stuck like them and will not get out. I was like WTH dude that's not the right attitude. We left them there after about 1:30 hours of backing up to get around them. we moved a max traxx length at a time. I think we moved 60 yards back. Below is a pic of that spot. You can see our spare tire on the leftView attachment 196358 where we started to move back. the center of the track was high enough to high center our rear end. if the tires were not on our traction planks the rear end was stuck. had to dig under the rear end to get jack under there to lift the rear end off the center, did that about 10 times.

Mike
That pic is crazy, seems like it would be completely disorienting, and with fog added...just wow.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

J Burleson

Why the hell doesnt SCORE make the penalty for BLATANT speeding big enough that it is no longer a viable strategy to try and pass on the highway(knowing that the advantage of not being in dust is bigger than the penalty)? It kinda defeats the purpose of the SZ if racers are just going to speed anyway, because the penalty is so minor(relatively). And when I say blatant, i mean like Mac getting passed in the pits and then hammering down to catch up to Arciero. I think the little penalty should be kept for the 5-10 mph over. Hell, at last years 1000, I definitely sped ALOT, but like a few mph over, just momentarily, by accident. I think I only got one penalty. They can obviously tell from tracking if you are at least TRYING to do the speed limit, and if you are not!

SpyRacing

The internet is so dumb. Kind of ironic that the TT team trying to make it seem like Kris was unsafe and reckless and potentially cost them their race is the same team that decided that acting like b-holes around the final corner was somehow reasonable. And it both cases, they decided to take the low road and point fingers and deflect any kind of personal responsibility.

The deal with Kris was a bummer for both parties I'm sure. There was no point in Toby going on social media and trying to make Kris the scapegoat for an accident. Nice to hear the positive stories of people who Kris helped, even after his truck was trashed. A lot of people would have never made it out of the section if it wasn't for him sitting there all night helping.
I think toby was just explaining the stuff that happened or stood out from other moments in his section from his point of view not using the guy as a “scapegoat”, nor pointing fingers. It’s something that happened and in that silt their leds lighting up the dusting making it look like someone is dropping a bag of flour in your face makes it hard to see possibly stock rear tail lights at speeds let alone trying to stop in time. Just saying it was a story from his side and didnt seem like he was using anyone as a “scapegoat”. In the end menzies is taking care of it from the way it sounds and thats awesome the guy helped so many and deserves it.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

Dhigbee

Bryce came around the final corner way too hot and took out the fence on the outside of the turn and at least one spectator. Pretty much a slap on the wrist after what SCORE did to the winning bike team last year when the rider pulled a bonehead move on the finish ramp and injured someone.

There is no way Bryce thought he was on the podium at that point. Going through that corner under control would not have cost but a fraction of a second. But he threw caution to the wind.

On the other hand, SCORE should not allow spectators in that spot if they are not going to enforce a speed zone. And spectators should never stand on the outside of a corner.

I also do not know who was driving the truck at that point, but assume it was Bryce.

Crusty Shellback

From the 2 videos of Robs pass posted in this thread, it didnt get dangerous until Arceiro sped up trying to block him. And then trying to bump him off the road.
Maybe Arceiro wouldn't let Rob pass when he tried before the pavement, so Rob didnt want to go thru that again.
The second video clearly shows Arceiro couldn't keep up when they hit the dirt.
Did Arceiro get a penalty for dangerous driving and trying to take a competitor out?

TPayne

From the 2 videos of Robs pass posted in this thread, it didnt get dangerous until Arceiro sped up trying to block him. And then trying to bump him off the road.
Maybe Arceiro wouldn't let Rob pass when he tried before the pavement, so Rob didnt want to go thru that again.
Did Arceiro get a penalty for dangerous driving and trying to take a competitor out?

Just FYI Ryan started behind Rob.

SpyRacing

Ryan got no penalties since he was out of the race shortly after the video.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

Crusty Shellback

I was trying to find him in the finishing order. Guess that's why I couldn't find him then.

LAZY-H

Forgive me if this has already been answered, but when did Rob actually make an illegal unsafe “pass” on a highway ? In the video he clearly doesn’t “pass” until they hit the dirt.
FA97DC0D-A381-456F-B49C-BD61E5A38DDD.jpeg

Skinny_G

Arciero got in his dust as soon as they left the pavement and hit a huge G out tweaking his A Arm which is why he we went airborne. And yes he did start behind Mac.

Bricoop

There is no way Bryce thought he was on the podium at that point. Going through that corner under control would not have cost but a fraction of a second. But he threw caution to the wind.
How so? He finished 20mins behind 3rd including a 15 minute penalty and only 28 mins off of the win. He would have no way to know what other penalties were going to be handed out. And yes, it is ridiculous to have a huge speed-zone only to let them rip for a few hundred yards before the finish.

Frank13

That pass could have been done a little different. Driving on the wrong side of the highway for as long as Rob did is what more than likely got him the penalty. You have to know that there’s always cameras watching.

On the other hand. I’m also surprised the #6 truck didn’t get a penalty for the crap he pulled on Luke. Granted he was a non factor in the end but still. Would like to see some consistency in the penalties Score is handing down.

Big Hock

Bababooey!!!
That pass could have been done a little different. Driving on the wrong side of the highway for as long as Rob did is what more than likely got him the penalty. You have to know that there’s always cameras watching.
Most likely that, as well as being so close to the flag man when he gassed it. I bet that dude peed himself a little bit.