1. Forum membership has its advantages....
    Dismiss Notice

2018 Dakar Predictions

Discussion in 'Rally Raid' started by Dirty Harry, Dec 13, 2017.

1. GEO_DXB

GEO_DXB Well-Known Member

Liste des concurrents - Dakar

(+1) 1 person likes this.
  2. GBRACER

GBRACER Well-Known Member

I missed why the pugs are pulling out next year - someone fill me in please.

3. GEO_DXB

shifting to endurance racing again.

4. Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry Well-Known Member

My understanding is that the rules related to 2WD entries is changing and putting them at a perceived disadvantage, so they are taking their toys and going home.

5. WillG

WillG Well-Known Member

Peugeot are entering a full works team in World Rallycross next season and need to focus their budget on this as it will be moving to full electric rallycross in 2020. They also said they were committing to Dakar for 4 years when they returned and 2018 will be the 4th event.

I can see them returning to Le Mans and Dakar again with electric/hybrid tech in the next 10 years.

6. GEO_DXB

yeah they seem to have cut the WEC/Le Mans too and go to RX.

7. factory_p

factory_p Member

I believe it will be tight for the cars. And full of surprises. But I would still put my money on a Pug winning by the tiniest of margins.

As for bikes, I have a feeling this could be the year for an underdog. Quintanilla or Van Beveren perhaps? I'll have my money on Van Beveren.

8. Short Bus

Short Bus Well-Known Member

From a pure logical point-of-view, I'd pick Peterhansel to win in the cars. His talent in this type of race is really unmatched - plus the Pugs have proven to be the fastest cars. You have to run a near perfect race to beat him. Although you could hope he had some rare bad luck and breaks/crashes.

From a more emotional point-of-view, I'd like to see Mikko do well and maybe finish better than Loeb for once in his career. I'd also like to see GDV get another win. I'm also interested to see if Despres can be a factor. He has improved his skills in the car a lot and could be a threat. I'm curious to see what he does once Pug goes away. Of course, I'll be cheering for Bryce to do well and hopefully keep the Dakar interest alive in the US. If Nasser can not break or crash, it could be spectacular and make for a really good race.

It feels like in the Bike race there are a number of riders that have a chance. Someone not on a KTM would be nice for a change.

In the trucks, I wouldn't bet against Kamaz. It is just a matter of which one will win. However, I'm hopeful the Renault of van den Brink keeps the Kamaz team honest. Also, I saw a video of Ales Loprais testing his Tatra and it looked fast as well.

I think the rule changes and advances in designs this year from X-Raid/Toyota should make for good competition and keep Peugeot from having it too easy.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted