2018 SCORE Baja 1000 route

TRAVISD

Reaction
They wont have the GPS file out till the 19th. Prerunning starts the 20th.

Chainguide

Reaction
If you're really motivated, you could probably piece the course together from prior years race course GPS's. For instance, the first 140 miles appears to be identical to last years 1000 at first glance.
Try
www.murdocknav.com/ if you need the files

CraftforDirt

Reaction
Anybody need a assistant to help with this years Baja 1000 ? I just need ride to and from from Thur - Sunday. Im not a mechanic but can do functional prep stuff. I just wanna go and be a part of the action. I can bring shizz loads of beer and water.. Let me know. email: darrow@saintarcherbrewery.com

Charlie65

Reaction
From SCORE's website:

As it has for over four and one-half decades, SCORE has put together another memorable race course for the 51st anniversary, this one a loop race, with all of the foreboding, unforgiving terrain that the northern state of the majestic Baja California peninsula has to offer. SCORE Race Director Jose A. Grijalva has designed and finalized this year’s race course of 806.76 miles. The course will have five checkpoints along the way to the finish and 192 visual checkpoints.
Starting and finishing in the heart of Ensenada in front of the historic Riviera del Pacifico Cultural Center, the course travels in a clockwise direction east to Ojos Negros before launching its weaving route around both the east and then the west side of the northern part of the peninsula.

Pre-running (Oct. 20) will start 5.6 south of Ojos Negros at Rm 38.4 and the course heads out to Jamau. After Jamau before the ‘Goat Trail’ there is a new short section that has never been raced on.
Course will go to Kiliwas and out to Hwy 3 to San Matias, over to the desert in San Felipe. South of San Felipe it loops around Amarillas Wash and comes back to Old Puertecitos Road on Huatamote Wash, head south to the Sulphur mines and turn right and will loop back using Matomi Wash to Old Puertecitos Highway.
South from Puertecitos to Gonzaga Bay and before Coco’ s Corner it turns south and takes a new trail that will take racers back to the main road out to Chapala.
At Chapala the course goes across Hwy 1 and does a loop behind Cataviña where there is tons of silt and nasty hill climbs.
North of Cataviña the course goes back across the peninsula on the east side of Hwy 1 and heads north to Rancho Victoria and more silt before and after this ranch in the Rm 490 to Rm 510 area.
It then drops down to El Rosario Wash and goes north to San Quintin on a fast smooth road that has never been raced on.
In San Quintin the course runs north and hits the coast to Santo Tomas, taking pavement to Uruapan and back to Ojos Negros and to the finish in Ensenada.

The five checkpoints will be located at north of San Felipe (race mile 177.34), before Highway 1 on Chapala Road (rm 378.27), Highway 1 in San Quintin (rm 597.81), end of Vicente Guerrero Wash (rm 633.85) and in Santo Tomas before Highway 1 (rm 733.02).

Because of the horrendous silt beds, Class 11 (stock VW sedans) and all Sportsman 4-wheel vehicles classes will be allowed to eliminate the Cataviña loop, taking pavement from rm 379.22 to rm 478.38.

GoLeft

Reaction
From SCORE's website:
<snippit>
The course will have five checkpoints along the way to the finish and 192 visual checkpoints.
</snippit>

I’m not new to this, but WTF is a “visual checkpoint”? Logic would tell me that there will be somebody there to “visually” verify I went by that spot, which is just a checkpoint.

I don’t want to miss any of them next month, let alone 192 of them.

I’m just going to assume they meant “Virtual Check Points”.
C’mon SCORE, proofread, proofread, proofread.

The WORLD of SCORE – Virtual Check Points (VCPs) | SCORE-International.com

Chainguide

Reaction
I’m not new to this, but WTF is a “visual checkpoint”? Logic would tell me that there will be somebody there to “visually” verify I went by that spot, which is just a checkpoint.

I don’t want to miss any of them next month, let alone 192 of them.

I’m just going to assume they meant “Virtual Check Points”.
C’mon SCORE, proofread, proofread, proofread.

The WORLD of SCORE – Virtual Check Points (VCPs) | SCORE-International.com
That would mean that there would be a whole lot of spotters out there, could you imagine? LOL

Bajacolorado

Reaction
Road detours being built? - the section of HWY 5 from Puertocitos to Gonzaga will need some detours routed due to paved road damage. I am sure SCORE and the officials from Baja are all over this so they don't have to re-route the course or speedzones . Anyone privy to this? Lots of bulldozers will be needed I would guess.

Bajacolorado

Reaction
Ideally yes. I think it is the speedzone paved sections that may be the issue - if you have seen any of the photos - there are some huge sections washed away or just blown out completely . I will know Tuesday as I head in that direction.

vinnie909

Reaction
Road detours being built? - the section of HWY 5 from Puertocitos to Gonzaga will need some detours routed due to paved road damage. I am sure SCORE and the officials from Baja are all over this so they don't have to re-route the course or speedzones . Anyone privy to this? Lots of bulldozers will be needed I would guess.

The 5 down to the 1 is passable! Side roads have already been cut in, my dad just got back on Sunday. He drove down the 5 and found that damage starts around puertecitos and continues off and on down to the 1, he was in a 2wd 4runner an had to air down to make it, took about 2 extra hrs then normal he says. Drove back up the 1 to Ensenada, road work on the 1 just before ck point 5 (Santa Tomas)

vinnie909

Reaction
IMG_3869.jpg
IMG_3872.jpg
IMG_3875.jpg
IMG_3873.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

Jarballo91

Reaction
Hi Guys! FYI

We have availables for prerunning some Stella´s devices for rent!

The service have:

-Live Tracking
-Danger Zones alerts
-VCP´s alerts & daily VCP report
-Speed Zone alerts & daily Speed Zone report

If someone is interested please sent me an email to: jarballo@anube.es

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
It's Mexico they get $h!7 fixed quick. Not perfect but quick. THey will have dirt over washouts and roads passable within a few days.

Bajacolorado

Reaction
A serious thank you! Headed down Tuesday and your info is priceless and yes Mexico gets stuff fixed quick! No permit needed to do the right thing fast. Cheers!